• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Universally respected groups - The Beatles

Love, love me do?

• Total voters
By that logic the artists who influenced the Beatles are better. Ie Chuck Berry. Beachboys
etc

Chuck Berry was most certainly a huge formative influence on the Beatles, as was almost everyone else in early rock and rock, eg Elvis,Gene Vincent,Eddie Cochran,Little Richard,Buddy Holly and the Everlys etc.The Beach Boys weren't.

If you don't believe me, check out Mark Lewisohn's excellent The Beatles Tune In, (warning it's over 800 pages long and the first part of a triology on the fab four).

If you're arguing that the Beach Boys had an influence on the Beatles post 62 (when Surfin Safari was first released,clearly based on a Chuck Berry riff) then I'd suggest that Dylan was a much stronger influence,certainly on John Lennon's songwriting.

But at least I didn't neg rep just because someone disagreed with my view of a one trick pony band.

Say what you like about The Beatles, but 'one trick ponies' they definitely were not. Probably best exemplified by the Love Me Do/Tomorrow Never Knows comparison MK made earlier.

I like them a lot, but still can't get in to 'The Beatles' (aka 'The White Album') and it's not been for want of trying.

Say what you like about The Beatles, but 'one trick ponies' they definitely were not. Probably best exemplified by the Love Me Do/Tomorrow Never Knows comparison MK made earlier.

I like them a lot, but still can't get in to 'The Beatles' (aka 'The White Album') and it's not been for want of trying.

You're quite right.

As people said at the time (and have been saying ever since) it would have made quite a decent single album (but never a double one).

Too self-indulgent by far but with quite a few interesting tracks on it,nevertheless.Always liked Lennon's Yer Blues and Happiness is a Warm Gun for example.

So come on then, name a better band? Any band or artist you name will no doubt have been influenced by The Beatles in some part.

Pink Floyd springs to mind. And have stood the test of time. Also there is no track I can think of that reminds me of The Beatles.

So come on then, name a better band? Any band or artist you name will no doubt have been influenced by The Beatles in some part.

The late great George Duke, there ya go.

Personally I've never liked or particularly disliked one track they've ever done but hey ho, that's musical taste for you. One thing I can say with confidence is that no single artist has ever played on his past glories years after his voice has gone the way of the DoDo that Mr McCartney has. Olympic ceremony springs to mind as the most obvious example.

I rest my case in the fact that I can pretty much guarantee 100% that the four scousers had absolutely no influence on George Dukes career, productions or collaborations. You made an outlandish statement while not even knowing who a major recording artist was.

One thing I can say with confidence is that no single artist has ever played on his past glories years after his voice has gone the way of the DoDo that Mr McCartney has. Olympic ceremony springs to mind as the most obvious example.
Nonsense - Dylan's voice had completely gone by the mid '80s, and God only knows how he has the balls to still play live. Macca could still pull off a very decent rendition of his hits well into this century.

I rest my case in the fact that I can pretty much guarantee 100% that the four scousers had absolutely no influence on George Dukes career, productions or collaborations. You made an outlandish statement while not even knowing who a major recording artist was.

Really?

[video=youtube;PyDdSoT8m18]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyDdSoT8m18[/video]

I don't like the Beatles. I don't particularly dislike them either, I'm not going to switch off if one of their songs comes on, but I've never heard anything that makes me want to listen to their music ahead of other things. Never really got why they're considered one of the greatest bands ever. No doubting their influence and musical talent but it's just not for me.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter.

People tell me they were ahead of their time. This may be, but since I wasn't around then, that is a hard concept to appreciate in retrospect.

I am ambivalent towards the Beatles. I own none of their records. I can't stand Bob Dylan, except for his influence on Jimi Hendrix.

Ps all music is derivative. That's the point.

You're quite right.

As people said at the time (and have been saying ever since) it would have made quite a decent single album (but never a double one).

Too self-indulgent by far but with quite a few interesting tracks on it,nevertheless.Always liked Lennon's Yer Blues and Happiness is a Warm Gun for example.

Can't agree there Barna. The White Album wouldn't have been nearly as good without the 'pop music on the 'A' side and the experimental tracks on the 'B' side (Which your choices were on). Experimental music was rife between 1966 and 1970 with many bands including Frank Zappa and the mothers of invention, King Crimson, Lou Reed and Pink Floyd etc etc. This sort of dabbling with sounds lead us to Dark Side of the Moon which we would have been a lot poorer without, musically speaking.

Can't agree there Barna. The White Album wouldn't have been nearly as good without the 'pop music on the 'A' side and the experimental tracks on the 'B' side (Which your choices were on). Experimental music was rife between 1966 and 1970 with many bands including Frank Zappa and the mothers of invention, King Crimson, Lou Reed and Pink Floyd etc etc. This sort of dabbling with sounds lead us to Dark Side of the Moon which we would have been a lot poorer without, musically speaking.

My life has been considerably enriched by never listening to DSOTM, though I did seem the Floyd live some years back, (and thought they were crap apart from Money and Wish you were Here). :smiles:

Last edited:
May not be everybody's cup of tea, but there's a difference between "like", and "respect". For that reason I'd say it's hard to argue against the likes of The Beatles.

I'll also chuck ELO into the mix, would you say they were universally respected?

Back