• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Universally respected groups - The Beatles

Love, love me do?

• Total voters

MK Shrimper

Striker
As per the other thread, I personally would find it bizarre that people wouldn't like the 4 Mop Tops from Liverpool - there's surely something for everyone?

Simple poll, do you like The Beatles? And if not, why not? What's not to like?

I used to say they were the most over rated band ever. I then realised how many of their songs I actually like and didn't realise they sang. I now have their entire discology.

I've met lots of people who don't like The Beatles, and that's fair enough, but even if you don't like them you have to at least respect them and their artistic achievements. Never before has so much talent existed within one band, and we'll never see it again. I know The Beatles wouldn't have happened without all the music which influenced them, but how they took those influences and developed them over their 10 years of recording together to change popular music forever will never cease to amaze me. Best band to ever grace this planet, end of.

In 2007 the Beatles won SZ Battle of the bands. Anyone else think with it being 7 years ago we should have another battle of the bands?

I don't like the Beatles. I don't particularly dislike them either, I'm not going to switch off if one of their songs comes on, but I've never heard anything that makes me want to listen to their music ahead of other things. Never really got why they're considered one of the greatest bands ever. No doubting their influence and musical talent but it's just not for me.

I don't like the Beatles. I don't particularly dislike them either, I'm not going to switch off if one of their songs comes on, but I've never heard anything that makes me want to listen to their music ahead of other things. Never really got why they're considered one of the greatest bands ever. No doubting their influence and musical talent but it's just not for me.

Tomorrow Never Knows, released in 1966. This is under 4 years since Love Me Do. From boyband pop to music that was 15 years ahead of anything else. Astounding.

[video=youtube;spjcPS4ekOA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spjcPS4ekOA[/video]

Tomorrow Never Knows, released in 1966. This is under 4 years since Love Me Do. From boyband pop to music that was 15 years ahead of anything else. Astounding.

[video=youtube;spjcPS4ekOA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spjcPS4ekOA[/video]

Are you saying that Tomorrow Never Knows was the sort of music that everyone else was doing in 81 ?
So the Beatles had predicted the impact Punk the the Social situation of the mid 70s would have on music ?
Now I cant recall that paricular song but I will locate it and listen to it , but I doubt it will sound like an early 80s song to me.

That is after I have played the two Half Man half Biscuit CDs i got for xmas....

Are you saying that Tomorrow Never Knows was the sort of music that everyone else was doing in 81 ?
So the Beatles had predicted the impact Punk the the Social situation of the mid 70s would have on music ?
Now I cant recall that paricular song but I will locate it and listen to it , but I doubt it will sound like an early 80s song to me.

That is after I have played the two Half Man half Biscuit CDs i got for xmas....

Sampling, loops, cutting up tracks. Dance & rap music, early 80s fare so kids may not have listened to THAT kind of music, but definitely music that used the techniques that Lennon & co employed on this track. As much as I love The Stones in 1966 they were just covering old Blues music.

I don't love them, but I also don't hate them. They have a few songs I like though.

Sampling, loops, cutting up tracks. Dance & rap music, early 80s fare so kids may not have listened to THAT kind of music, but definitely music that used the techniques that Lennon & co employed on this track. As much as I love The Stones in 1966 they were just covering old Blues music.

The Beatles invented Rap ??

By that logic the artists who influenced the Beatles are better. Ie Chuck Berry. Beachboys etc

Not at all. Somebody or something can influence a person to begin to create, but they can take it to a higher level that the influencees(?) could ever hoped to achieve. Smile was (as I understand it) Brian Wilson's attempt to outdo Sgt Pepper. He didn't.

Smile was (as I understand it) Brian Wilson's attempt to outdo Sgt Pepper. He didn't.
Indeed. I believe Rubber Soul drove Wilson to create Pet Sounds, which in turn inspired Macca to create Sgt Pepper's. To this day Brian Wilson admits he never bettered Sgt Pepper's, which tells you just how good that record is.

So when you and loads of your mates were down the park, jumpers for goalposts and you had the only football, did you take that with you if you had to be home first?

Didn't have any. Only John, Paul, George...but not Ringo. :finger:

Back