• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Unlike Tilson

Alex

Members
Anyone feel it was unlike Tilly to release his out of contract players so soon after our last game. IIRC he delayed these announcements for a while in previous seasons, maybe some of the players hinted they wanted to leave (Hunt, Black) and Tilly thought he would say he is releasing them rather than it comming out some players wanted out. Its possibly strange though as all out of contract players were released apart from Gower and Flavs and they were offered new deals a few weeks ago along with extensions for Moussa, Bailey and McCormack but only now he has decided to extend Francis's, who was still under contract of course

Last edited:
You may have a point here. I would like to see an update of our players that are not out of contract but out of favour aswell.

Anyone feel it was unlike Tilly to release his out of contract players so soon after our last game. IIRC he delayed these announcements for a while in previous statements, maybe some of the players hinted they wanted to leave (Hunt, Black) and Tilly thought he would say he is releasing them rather than it comming out some players wanted out.

Or maybe Tilly's just a fair bloke who wanted to give these players as long as possible to find themselves another job.

Flavs has been offered an extension to his current deal, I'm pretty sure that was mentioned around the time of deals being offered to Moussa, Bailey, Macca and Gower.

To be fair, there is no point dragging out the decision to release someone. As soon as Tilly knew we was in League One next season, he would have know which transfer list we was shopping from and which players where off.

I want to know what happened with Black. From being picked regularly, despite some average displays, to being dropped for the "Big Game vs Donny, to being released a few days later!! :O

Me thinks Black & Tilly/Brush had a big row along the lines of Tilly's row with Maher?

I want to know what happened with Black. From being picked regularly, despite some average displays, to being dropped for the "Big Game vs Donny, to being released a few days later!! :O

Me thinks Black & Tilly/Brush had a big row along the lines of Tilly's row with Maher?

Personally if thats the case I like Tillys stance. Very strong but I like it. Send the messege across that if you dont like it, you can leave. No one man is too big for this club. Thats of course based on that theory!

I'm not sure about Black. He was on a rolling year to year contract wasn't he so that we would have the option to renew it at the end of this season? I think Tilly was quite aware this season that the squad wasn't as strong as it could have been and that Tommy Black was simply the best of a pretty bad lot in terms of left wing options the club. It was clear to most of us that he would definitely not be good enough if we were lucky enough to get promoted and he simply does not have the legs anymore for starters! If his contract was really up as I was lead to believe, it was just time for him to move on as despite his efforts, he really hadn't had much luck this season despite the fact that he had been a consistent part of the squad since Christmas. Good luck to him nonetheless.

I'm not sure about Black. He was on a rolling year to year contract wasn't he so that we would have the option to renew it at the end of this season? I think Tilly was quite aware this season that the squad wasn't as strong as it could have been and that Tommy Black was simply the best of a pretty bad lot in terms of left wing options the club. It was clear to most of us that he would definitely not be good enough if we were lucky enough to get promoted and he simply does not have the legs anymore for starters! If his contract was really up as I was lead to believe, it was just time for him to move on as despite his efforts, he really hadn't had much luck this season despite the fact that he had been a consistent part of the squad since Christmas. Good luck to him nonetheless.

Black was played out on the right wing.

He was signed on a one year deal, with an option of a second year if we took that up. Mainly so he could prove he was over his injury problems and a case for us to see if it worked out for us and him. It does seem bizarre that he started the first leg Vs Doncaster, and pretty much all of our unbeaten run, but got released.

Sorry, it's late and I've just been reading the Gower thread. :thump:

Or maybe it's just because I'm a part time fan :unsure:

To be fair, Gower did like to swap wings during the game, like a lot of wingers, so Black would have had spells on the left so I'll let you off ;)

Did anyone else notice Nicky Bailey's drop in form coincided pretty much with when discussions were announced to be in progress over his new contract? I think all of the others that would be out of contract all have talks in progress, and I'm quite surprised Simon Francis has only been offered a one year extension. This is reminiscent of Benno and Jupp, just hope it isn't the same outcome.

I prefer to look on it as Tilly planning ahead early giving himself plenty of time to beef up the squad and avoid last minute panic buying. Few of those released were regulars in the second half of the season though most of them played a significant part in the recent success of the club.

I like the stance taken. Whether I agree or not is incidental. Tilly is paid to make such decisions and apart from the relegation season who am I to question his record. For every bad signing we have also strenthened the club with a gem. No manager, including Fergie, gets every new signing right.

The signing of Walker may turn out to be one of the best. I see signs of Donut, Benjy and Tes in him. He has strength, vision and aerial ability. Composure and confidence will come and unlike others he has age on his side.

Revell is also much underrated by some on this board. A regular runout when fully fit will see whether my opinion holds true.

Scanell is one for the future. Another season of reserves, the odd sub appearance and possibly a couple of months on loan methinks.

one GK, a couple of defenders, a winger and CM and hey presto - a table topping team next season. :D

Personally if thats the case I like Tillys stance. Very strong but I like it. Send the messege across that if you dont like it, you can leave. No one man is too big for this club. Thats of course based on that theory!

Except Freddy, if rumours are to be believed he put up with a hell of a lot from him. I think i'd make the exception too

The signing of Walker may turn out to be one of the best. I see signs of Donut, Benjy and Tes in him. He has strength, vision and aerial ability. Composure and confidence will come and unlike others he has age on his side.

Revell is also much underrated by some on this board. A regular runout when fully fit will see whether my opinion holds true.

Scanell is one for the future. Another season of reserves, the odd sub appearance and possibly a couple of months on loan methinks.

one GK, a couple of defenders, a winger and CM and hey presto - a table topping team next season. :D

Blimey... ORM in talking sense shocker...

:p

Agree with all of that. May need two CBs; don't think Zoltan will work out for us or him - and I don't see Clarke being here by August.

Matt

Back