• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Urgh! Fans Forums

As with Leigh_Seasider I don't have Twitter or Facebook so SZ is my main (only?) source of Shrimpers news and information. Definitely the best and most active fan forum I have seen. Now if only the team on the pitch could reach these heights.

The size of our fanbase helps this website a lot. Knowing that not every fan will post, any smaller and you're a voice in an echo chamber, any bigger and you might start to feel like a voice in a sea of other voices. We're that middle bowl of porridge, and I guess it allows you to feel 'close-knit'. Although I've never met anyone here personally. :Smile2:

Ive just left the facebook league 2 forum just of bolton giving it large

I don’t know why because the Southend United Facebook page is god awful! Full of absolute rubbish and is unmoderated and just ends up in bullying and bitching. The content is dire and nothing on the mostly quality you get on a forum.

This forum has been in my life for a very long time and I couldn’t imagine life without it. I just don’t get the same buzz from Facebook or twitter Discussions.

Thanks Cricko, G and the team. Keep up the great work, shame you couldn’t run the club and team and make that Premiership quality.

Facebook groups are fine if the Admin/mods keep on top of them and ban any troublemakers. It is a lot of work though, I was an admin on several Facebook groups at different tmes, the largest had about 8000 members. Non of them were football related though, about a year ago I stopped doing it, I needed a break!

Facebook groups are fine if the Admin/mods keep on top of them and ban any troublemakers. It is a lot of work though, I was an admin on several Facebook groups at different tmes, the largest had about 8000 members. Non of them were football related though, about a year ago I stopped doing it, I needed a break!

Our one has over 4000 members and has just Chris Phillips as the admin. I doubt he has the time to police it on his own, which is why it’s awful!

Yep, this forum is truly excellent. Well policed, good-natured, well structured, and blissfully free of pop ups.

Over the years it's helped me meet many fellow Shrimpers, flog the good book, promote SUEPA and all that it itself achieves (which I'd like to think is all positive), promote fund-raising campaigns, buy tickets, find away day meeting places ........... and much more

I've visited most other club sites, most get no where near this one. Got to say that the best fun I had on another site was the MK Dons one a few years back - put up a post promoting the book then visited it a month or so later and found loads of abuse directed to me after a number of them had bought and read it, and then I found a link to that post on an AFC Wimbledon forum who all found it hilarious!

Keep up the great work Cricko and co

I've got to be honest, I'm a member on several fans forums, mostly the lower league ones and they are a bit/very dire at times. There are exceptions and Sheffield Utd's site is one. I had an absolute ball on there during the Lenny before and after fiasco. No swear filter so I pulled some staggering abuse but always in good humour. I'm now their tame 'Sarfend' guest whenever I post but you have to earn the right to post on there. And they love Rugrat Ron as well.

Our one has over 4000 members and has just Chris Phillips as the admin. I doubt he has the time to police it on his own, which is why it’s awful!

He needs to recruit a few others but they have to be the right type of person who will take action quickly, delete offensive posts and ban serial offenders. You also have to be careful who you allow into the group, there are lots of fake profiles out there. As I say it can be very time consuming and totally thankless!

He needs to recruit a few others but they have to be the right type of person who will take action quickly, delete offensive posts and ban serial offenders. You also have to be careful who you allow into the group, there are lots of fake profiles out there. As I say it can be very time consuming and totally thankless!
I own and run two page (North Essex Singles/Essex Friends & Social group) on Facebook, it’s hard to run, as I ensure everyone who joined must live in Essex area only. I keep trouble makers & chancers away from my page. So in a way, Chris Phillips need two or more decent mods to keep idiots out & use key words so they can be alert to abuses post.

Totally agree, but it’s whether he is willing to relinquish some control over it.

Do they berate the manager/ club / players/ ground/ chairman/ own fans as much as we do?

I think you'll find we're an extremely understanding set of fans actually, probably too understanding. The amount of rubbish we've watched over the past few years and barely seen a win and yet the vast majority stayed behind and clapped the likes of Lennon and Kiernan off when they'd literally just taken the biscuit for 90 mins. The only time its really boiled over in the past few years is Dover away but I don't blame anyone for losing they're cool over that one.

I think we're a little fickle at what goes on at other clubs. A couple of losses and its the end of the world. Barely a win in 3 years, half our fan base don't really seem too fussed.

Totally agree, but it’s whether he is willing to relinquish some control over it.

By the sounds of it he has control of a shambles, what is the point of setting up a group without adequate reliable admins, a minimum of 4 would be needed to keep a lid on a group that size. There will be stirrers on there that need to warned and then banned before any decent group can evolve. There are probably away fans on there posing as home ones to create arguments, keyboard warriors are a big problem if it gets out of hand. Perhaps a new group could be created and the other one shut down, then once reliable policing has been organised members can be added after suitable checks. A quick look at their Facebook profiles is often enough, if they are new to Facebook ask them to apply at a later date.

By the sounds of it he has control of a shambles, what is the point of setting up a group without adequate reliable admins, a minimum of 4 would be needed to keep a lid on a group that size. There will be stirrers on there that need to warned and then banned before any decent group can evolve. There are probably away fans on there posing as home ones to create arguments, keyboard warriors are a big problem if it gets out of hand. Perhaps a new group could be created and the other one shut down, then once reliable policing has been organised members can be added after suitable checks. A quick look at their Facebook profiles is often enough, if they are new to Facebook ask them to apply at a later date.

Absolutely but the more that place stays a shambles the more people visit here. Don’t want to encourage people to post on there rather than here.

As a reluctant member of the Facebook group (what I would give to never see Roy McDonough's two pennies worth on everything under the sun) and a lurker on Twitter, it took me a while to get into the swing of things on here but glad I have now and will set up a direct debit to contribute to keep things going. Think the culture (cf. Twitter) and the mods (cf. Facebook) keep this place in the fine state it exists as and long may it continue.

Back