• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Which "Use Your Illusion" album was better?

• Total voters

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
Drunken conversation between a mate and I the other day ended up with us arguing the merits of the two Guns N' Roses albums that came out back in 1991. My friend was very much in the 'II' camp (features "You Could Be Mine" and he's a huge fan of "Civil War"), whilst I much prefer 'I' (the better version of "Don't Cry", doesn't have "Estranged" on it).

Just to recap, here is the track listing for each. Please cast your votes...

Use Your Illusion I

1. "Right Next Door to Hell"
2. "Dust N' Bones"
3. "Live and Let Die"
4. "Don't Cry" (original version)
5. "Perfect Crime"
6. "You Ain't the First"
7. "Bad Obsession"
8. "Back Off Bitch"
9. "Double Talkin' Jive"
10. "November Rain"
11. "The Garden"
12. "Garden of Eden"
13. "Don't Damn Me"
14. "Bad Apples"
15. "Dead Horse"
16. "Coma"

Use Your Illusion II

1. "Civil War"
2. "14 Years"
3. "Yesterdays"
4. "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"
5. "Get in the Ring"
6. "Shotgun Blues"
7. "Breakdown"
8. "Pretty Tied Up"
9. "Locomotive"
10. "So Fine"
11. "Estranged"
12. "You Could Be Mine"
13. "Don't Cry" (alternate lyrics)
14. "My World"

II all day long. The last 6 songs on I are pretty pants and only November Rain and Dont Cry are stone cold classics.
If you put the best songs from both albums together youd have one of the best albums of all time. Sadly there is a lot of filler and dirge on both albums.

In 1991 I was where the action was and that most certainly did not involve listening to Guns and Roses.

Last edited:
This is simply not a fair question. My answer is both!

I will now have to listen to them both tonight to make sure i'm right!

I have to go for Number 2, 'Estranged' puts it just over the top. And unlike some of my dear friends, I was able to listen to more than one artist and more than one style of music during this tumultuous time.

I have to go for Number 2, 'Estranged' puts it just over the top. And unlike some of my dear friends, I was able to listen to more than one artist and more than one style of music during this tumultuous time.

Around the time these albums came out I was 12 and refused to believe that any band, ever, could be better.

Then, in 1992, I saw the video for "Midlife Crisis" by Faith No More and I started getting in to all sorts of different types of music.

Still, reminiscing over and listening to those G N' R albums over a few glasses of Mahou with one of my best mates the other week was a great way to spend a few hours.

I was around 18 when these albums came out and I remember most rock fans being high achieving spod conformists whose parents were happy to allow their kids to dress like freaks as long as the A grades kept coming.

I am going to have to listen to these again before given my answer, unfortunately for me I was not a massive fan of UYI, although I had been a Guns n Roses fan since I saw them at the Marquee in 87 and backed up by their performance at Monsters of Rock 88. I thought UYI was Axl trying to be too much. So was mainly listening to LA Guns and Faster Pussycat, as I felt GNR had gone after the popular route. These bands started what we called Sleaze Metal a rawer derivative of Glam Metal.

Last edited:
Back