• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Despite its obvious benefits in the world cup, the football league aren't sure about it and will only use it in the JPT this year.

"The spray will not be used yet by the Football League, which intends to hold trials of its effectiveness in next season's Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey said: "The introduction of vanishing spray into the Johnstone's Paint Trophy will give us the opportunity to observe its use in domestic football so that we can better understand its effect on the flow of the game."

In all seriousness, did this bloke not watch the world cup? And what possible effect can it have on the flow of the game???

Despite its obvious benefits in the world cup, the football league aren't sure about it and will only use it in the JPT this year.

"The spray will not be used yet by the Football League, which intends to hold trials of its effectiveness in next season's Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey said: "The introduction of vanishing spray into the Johnstone's Paint Trophy will give us the opportunity to observe its use in domestic football so that we can better understand its effect on the flow of the game."

In all seriousness, did this bloke not watch the world cup? And what possible effect can it have on the flow of the game???

I saw three games in Buenos Aires back in April,two of them tense matches, in which the spray was used a lot.(Apparently it's only used currently in Brazil and Argentina).
It really cuts out all that nonsense about defenders (and attackers jockying for postion) plus defenders always trying to steal a few yards.Bring it on.

I saw three games in Buenos Aires back in April,two of them tense matches, in which the spray was used a lot.(Apparently it's only used currently in Brazil and Argentina).
It really cuts out all that nonsense about defenders (and attackers jockying for postion) plus defenders always trying to steal a few yards.Bring it on.

Did you not watch the World Cup?

While it has benefits I think it is fair to say that it does slow things down a little. You'll end up with teams requiring the ref to get the spray out to slow games down and it'll get silly.

More annoying is the inconsistency about the distance back walls are, rather than players sneaking a few inches. It seems the closer the free kick is to the goal, the closer the wall is set by the ref.

Spray is fine if they want to use it, only takes a second.

Bit gimmicky for my liking, never really had a problem with walls moving, people seem to complain more about the distance the ref sets, which wont be affected.

Id rather they used it when a player goes down like he has been shot and then rolls around, go spray him in the eyes with it.

While it has benefits I think it is fair to say that it does slow things down a little. You'll end up with teams requiring the ref to get the spray out to slow games down and it'll get silly.

More annoying is the inconsistency about the distance back walls are, rather than players sneaking a few inches. It seems the closer the free kick is to the goal, the closer the wall is set by the ref.

In the amount of time wasted in a game by play acting, slow substitutions goal kicks etc I think making a spray line probably about 6-7 times isn't going to make much difference.

I agree about the distance the ref sets - sometimes it only looks like 8 yards - but whatever distance the ref sets should be adhered to.

I really can't understand why its not going to be used.

In the amount of time wasted in a game by play acting, slow substitutions goal kicks etc I think making a spray line probably about 6-7 times isn't going to make much difference.

I agree about the distance the ref sets - sometimes it only looks like 8 yards - but whatever distance the ref sets should be adhered to.

I really can't understand why its not going to be used.

I've always personally believed that football should move to a stop-clock like rugby and that would immediately remove any timewasting and complaints about injury time. You could play a full 30 mins a half (the FIFA figure for how long the ball 'should' be in play) and that would equate to roughly 45 mins a half.

Yeah it's probably not going to add a great deal of time on but I did feel during the world cup it slowed it up. Maybe it was just because it was new. I think it's sensible to trial it in the cup before rolling it out.

I've always personally believed that football should move to a stop-clock like rugby and that would immediately remove any timewasting and complaints about injury time. You could play a full 30 mins a half (the FIFA figure for how long the ball 'should' be in play) and that would equate to roughly 45 mins a half.

I've always thought that too but can never see it happening. It would immediately get rid of timewasting, punters wouldn't feel so hard done by. At some games it seems like the ball is only in play for about 25 minutes.

I've always thought that too but can never see it happening. It would immediately get rid of timewasting, punters wouldn't feel so hard done by. At some games it seems like the ball is only in play for about 25 minutes.

No I can understand wanting to keep the rules essentially the same for a world cup game and a local game for the Dog & Partridge on Hackney Marshes. However timewasting is infuriating for fans and something needs to be done about it. a stop-clock is the most sensible way. The fact that it took FIFA so long to sort out goal-line technology suggests that any further sensible changes would be about 100 years away!

There have been Southend games where the second half has probably only had 15/20 legitimate (more than a couple of touches) passages of play. Not really value for money there!

No I can understand wanting to keep the rules essentially the same for a world cup game and a local game for the Dog & Partridge on Hackney Marshes. However timewasting is infuriating for fans and something needs to be done about it. a stop-clock is the most sensible way. The fact that it took FIFA so long to sort out goal-line technology suggests that any further sensible changes would be about 100 years away!

There have been Southend games where the second half has probably only had 15/20 legitimate (more than a couple of touches) passages of play. Not really value for money there!

Bit of an old one this, but here is Marcotti's (eminently sensible) take on the subject:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/197559043606719/

My only complaint about the spray was the ref would get the wall back then apply the spray.

Why not mark the distance, spray the spray and if the players aren't behind it immediately yellow card for delay of game.

It really annoys me when commentators moan about refs spoiling games by sending players off. But if the refs applied the laws of the game properly players would take about 5 minutes to stop ignoring them rules.

And another thing - Shirt pulling is a yellow card offence - unless it seem if you are defending a corner where it seems acceptable to wrestle people to the ground with no penalty. If the Referees came out this season and started issuing yellows and reds in line with the laws of the game, players would soon get the hang of it.

Can we just turn this into a 'things which really annoy you in football' thread?

Ok, thanks...

I really don't like it when there's a freekick and immediately the defenders run to block the kick from being taken. Or say foul is committed in the middle of the pitch and a striker will jog back past the kick to slow it down and get into a position. I think that if a foul is committed then the ref should be well within his right to yellow card any defending player who runs into the imaginary 10 yard circle just to stop the kick.

Bit of an old one this, but here is Marcotti's (eminently sensible) take on the subject:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/197559043606719/

He's not right when he says it will eliminate time-wasting. It's a deliberate tactic of some teams to take pace out of the game: be it to disrupt the rhythm of the opposition, take a breather, prevent momentum building. There is increasing disquiet in many sports which don't have the football method of timing about how long games are taking to compete: NFL, baseball, cricket etc this is an issue. IF football does move to this way of timing expect it to open up new problems about how the length of a game keeps increasing.

I think the existing rules are adequate and just need to be enforced.

I really don't like it when there's a freekick and immediately the defenders run to block the kick from being taken.

Delaying the restart of the game = yellow card, but often not given.
Watch the NFL. If a defender is out of position and on the wrong side of the ball when they offense are ready to start - Offside 10 yard penalty.

Bring this into football, especially after a goal is scored. Let the team kicking off go as soon as they are ready. If the other lot are in the crowd at the other end, too bad.

and another thing- what I the point of the 5th official in European games? Pointless they don't do anything. Goal line technology? That's a waste of time. Just have a 5th official in the stand watching a TV replay. He could also adjudicate on bad fouls, dodgy offside etc. Would take the pressure off the ref as it wouldn't be him making the decision.

Watch the NFL. If a defender is out of position and on the wrong side of the ball when they offense are ready to start - Offside 10 yard penalty.

Bring this into football, especially after a goal is scored. Let the team kicking off go as soon as they are ready. If the other lot are in the crowd at the other end, too bad.

and another thing- what I the point of the 5th official in European games? Pointless they don't do anything. Goal line technology? That's a waste of time. Just have a 5th official in the stand watching a TV replay. He could also adjudicate on bad fouls, dodgy offside etc. Would take the pressure off the ref as it wouldn't be him making the decision.

sounds good! I think we should start up our own FIFA!

steveo said:

Except if your name's Bilel Mosni of course :winking:

I think the 5th (and 6th?) officials in UEFA games could actually be half useful if they were given a broader remit. Being allowed to bring the ref's attention to shirt pulling and suchlike in the penalty box would be a start.

And a manager should be allowed 3 appeals per match, to be viewed by the ref in the stand. If the appeal fails he loses a substitution.
The fans wouldn't be unhappy about the delay as the replay would be shown on the big screen. I know its only Prem and big clubs now but it will filter down the divisions later.

Back