• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Vauxhall problem

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
I drive a 1996 Vectra which keeps stalling. The engine light (orange engine-shape with a lightning strike through it) keeps coming on. I called a Vauxhall dealer who quoted me £75+VAT an hour just for a diagnosis. Anyone know a cheaper way?
Thanks.

Though I'm no car expert in any way shape or form, is that not the spark plugs?

Thats probably wasnt very helpful, so how about read the handbook and see what the warning light means, then see if its fixable. If that fails try a non Vauxhall dealer who will probably be cheaper, or even better, wait for Genial Harry Grout to come along and tell you whats wrong

It's probably the idle control valve that needs replacing. It's a silver cylindrical device near that's easily replaced yourself. You can get a new one for about £120 from Vauxhall or a second hand one for about £20-30 from a scrappy.

It's probably the idle control valve that needs replacing. It's a silver cylindrical device near that's easily replaced yourself. You can get a new one for about £120 from Vauxhall or a second hand one for about £20-30 from a scrappy.

Quite possible, Vectras are prone to that problem. Might be a fuel intake problem as well. Suggest you get a garage to look at it. Where abouts do you live.

Back