• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Venice

Pubey

Heading out to Venice for a conference and due to annoying flight times got a bit of time to kill in Venice (not too shabby I suppose). Any tips on things to do, places to go, restaurants? Basically somewhere off the main tourist trail would be great because I'm sure I'll head back again with the missus sometime in the future. Haven't got a huge expenses account for this trip so need to be frugal too.

Well worth buying a Vaporetti (water bus) pass so you can just jump on and off as you please (preferably at the designated stops and not mid-canal!). You can then visit outlying islands or just journey through the canals enjoying the unique architecture.
You will almost certainly fall in love with the place and want to return to see more.

Well worth buying a Vaporetti (water bus) pass so you can just jump on and off as you please (preferably at the designated stops and not mid-canal!). You can then visit outlying islands or just journey through the canals enjoying the unique architecture.
You will almost certainly fall in love with the place and want to return to see more.

Yep I'm doing that cos staying on the Lido. Cheers!

You will need a large expenses account! Venice is notoriously expensive... However this is worth taking a few hundred quid to if you cant get it through the books. Have a coffee in the main square, I'd suggest at Florian. About 30 euros but a great way of getting a feel for the atmosphere etc. be warned that everyone chucks service charges etc onto everything, so much so that you should double the menu price as a gut feel...

Don't bother with the gondolas, very expensive and you'll notice that they're all in the latest clobber and swiss watches... about 100 euros for half hour. More something to do with the missus.

it gets a bit manky off the main touristy part, so I'd stick to it. Great ice cream pretty much everywhere, and if you are stood in the main square with Florian behind you, there's a great area for shopping (all main italian / french premuim brands) through the alley on the left.

hope this helps

This place impressed me most when I was there (about 7 years ago)...

http://www.lazucca.it/?lang=en

I'd recommend you do venture away from the main tourist areas - I did, as I have a penchant for such films as Who Saw Her Die and Don't look Now, so I was keen to see more of the real Venice. I found it more interesting, and the food and wine is much cheaper. It's a great place, you'll love it.

on one of the islands there is a glass blowing factory mind blowing art work..

Agree about wandering out of the main tourist areas; I much prefer to see the real place rather than the usual clone tourist spots......often you could be in any city in the world. We enjoyed the view from the Campanile di San Marco: Venice's 325-foot bell tower in the main square, the view is unsurpassed and worth the few quid to go up there to get a birds eye view of the area.

Agree about wandering out of the main tourist areas; I much prefer to see the real place rather than the usual clone tourist spots......often you could be in any city in the world. We enjoyed the view from the Campanile di San Marco: Venice's 325-foot bell tower in the main square, the view is unsurpassed and worth the few quid to go up there to get a birds eye view of the area.
Sounds good, that's my kind of thing! I'm in Bruges the weekend before with the missus, she wants to be taken up the tower (oo er!) but it's probably because she wants to push me off it!

on one of the islands there is a glass blowing factory mind blowing art work..

agree there. we went to Venice last year and although we done all the tourist stuff we also wandered off the beaten track. Took a Water taxi bus that took us out to a couple of islands, which we found very interesting. However, it is very expensive there and if you stray away from the main tourist area certainly becomes cheaper.
Have fun, I had a great time there

Open your mind to a bit of culture soldier boy. It's a beautiful, if somewhat smelly place!

I'm quite cultered actually. However, I have no deisre to waste money to go to a stinking place, full of smarmy I-talians, and then get ripped off for the privilege. If she wants a boat trip, we did it on the Thames a few months ago. If she wants pizza, Domino's deliver. And more importantly, I've been to Italy once before. A 21st birthday to forget.

:)
Besides, she wants to go everywhere. And I mean everywhere. The fact that since she's been with me, she's technically been to England, Scotland, Turkey, the USA, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, and Austria, is irrelevant it would seem. (Techncially- I've driven here hrough France, Belgium and Austria)

Sounds good, that's my kind of thing! I'm in Bruges the weekend before with the missus, she wants to be taken up the tower (oo er!) but it's probably because she wants to push me off it!
make sure you do the tower, and wear comfortable shoes for the cobbled streets. Also eat some pete's frites

I agree with Chadded.

The Americans do Venice better in Vegas than the Italians do in Italy. It's dirty, dilapidated, overcrowded and overpriced. I failed to locate it's charm amongst the hordes of tourists (and pigeons) and was left distinctly underwhelmed, other than by the smell which was overwhelming.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Back