• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TrueBlue

SJP Taxi & Private Hire ⭐️
Just been chatting to some good friends, I am not going to name names out of respect but these guys I have been talking with have been away with me for years home and away and for the first time I can EVER recall I am hearing comments like 'Don't care anymore' and 'Can't be arsed' 'Pay money players let the club down' These people won't be going tonight.

In the past I have said I have had enough and I am not going but I am always always drawn back and since I cut back on drinking and other naughty things I have been enjoying watching a game and being able to give an account of it a few days later rather then just a blur.

So it really concerns me that my friends wont be at football what is happening at our club to put our hardcore fans off?

Maybe I am looking at things wrong and this is natural progression for most fans?

Maybe I am worried I will lose my mates? or at least lose touch with them?

Maybe its the economey and its now filterd down to the week in week out fan?

Maybe I am worried that these guys not going will seriously damage our vocal support home and away?

Maybe there is something deeply wrong at our football club?

OR

Maybe I am being ****ing stupid about all of it?

Really not felt this low since just before Ipswich away in the championship and most who know me will know what happened!

Regards

Down and Depressed

As people have said before, it's part of growing up. When you move in with Mrs TB, you'll realise that some things are more important than watching 11 grown men kick a ball about.

Picking a choosing games doesn't make you any less of a supporter than someone who follows the team week in week out.

You go through different periods in your life where some things will take priority over football. For many years I never missed a home game, even the moosus used to come along, but then kids happen, money gets tight & even if you can spare the cash its often difficult to arrange child care etc etc.

That's what happened to me, but now thankfully kid's are older I can get there pretty much all the time, youngest girl insists on going every game I go to lol.

I think as long as we get out of this crap league, people will start finding their enthusiasm a bit more..:thumbsup:

Yeah I moved to London a few years ago and still come to as many games as possible. But after changing jobs to work in West London it means the Tuesday night games are very difficult to make. But I'll go home and listen to the game on the radio. I'm still a fan. As long as you still care what the result of the game is and where we are in the league, you're a fan.

I do have respect for those that go to every game home and away every week for years. I honestly don't know how you guys manage it. There must be times when other things such as weddings, stag dos, etc crop up and can you really miss out on such big events to see us lose at home to Burton Albion?

I love Southend and will support them til I die but life is more important than football. That said I think a lot of our fanbase are staying away due to recent frustrations with results/Tara/etc. They'll be back if we go on a run again.

There are many reasons as already stated for people not coming these days: These are some of my thoughts as to why...

Ron
Tilly saga
Financial problems
The Economy
Style of football
Recent poor run
Other priorities
Poor marketing
Disillusionment

Amongst many others. Serious damage has been done to the club and it's fanbase over the last few years. It almost feels like we have gone back 8 or 9 years. The club and it's town have grown apart again. And it's going to take some serious success, a stable ship and some serious bridge building to get us back to where we were 5 years ago. Not to mention a decent upturn in the economy. The Marketing team (If there is one) have an almost impossible task on their hands.

Let's hope for a promotion this season, some proper movement at FF and no financial wobbles or further PR gaffs at the club. Then maybe next season, the love for the club will start to grow again amongst the locals.

There are many reasons as already stated for people not coming these days: These are some of my thoughts as to why...

Ron
Tilly saga
Financial problems
The Economy
Style of football
Recent poor run
Other priorities
Poor marketing
Disillusionment

Amongst many others. Serious damage has been done to the club and it's fanbase over the last few years. It almost feels like we have gone back 8 or 9 years. The club and it's town have grown apart again. And it's going to take some serious success, a stable ship and some serious bridge building to get us back to where we were 5 years ago. Not to mention a decent upturn in the economy. The Marketing team (If there is one) have an almost impossible task on their hands.

Let's hope for a promotion this season, some proper movement at FF and no financial wobbles or further PR gaffs at the club. Then maybe next season, the love for the club will start to grow again amongst the locals.

Think yourself lucky and going back further:
The Rubins saga
Anton Johnson
The disappearance of the Christmas club money
The sacking of Dave Smith
Being bailed out by such paragons of virtue as Cap'n Bob Maxwell & Blaster Bates.

As people have said before, it's part of growing up. When you move in with Mrs TB, you'll realise that some things are more important than watching 11 grown men kick a ball about.

Picking a choosing games doesn't make you any less of a supporter than someone who follows the team week in week out.

Absolutely the case for me. I could go tonight, but that would mean missing out on bathtime and the bedtime story with my little housemates. I love Southend United, but not as much as spending time with those two.

It's a natural progression I think. Once upon a time nothing would have stopped me from attending a home game.

However, work always now takes a priority. Consequently I miss about 5/6 games a season.

Then there's other things... both my partner and I have had a really busy and stressful last 3 weeks for a multitude of reasons (work, tax, kids, sickness... but mainly work and kids) and we really need a fun night out. Nothing would make me happier than a thumping win against Rotherham but sadly, that can't be guaranteed. A repeat of Swindon/Burton/Bradford/Morecambe/Dagenham would make me feel even worse. Further, even if we did win, my partner gets nothing from that and by me going I am denying her a good night out. I'm not that selfish.

So, I'm not going to be at the game tonight but instead will be visiting various establishments in Leigh, winding down at the end of the week. This for me is doing the right thing, meaning naturally that Southend will now win comfortably, but if they don't then at least I'm not there to see it.

To be honest Scott its natural

When I used to stand on the North Bank 30 years ago there was a group of 8-10 of those Canvey , myself and Pete remain regular visitors to RH
There was a group of 6 who used to stand behind us and I believe only one of them attends regularly.

It only becomes an issue if there are not enough people coming in to replace them, given that gates are currently holding up to similar levels to our last time in this division (and in tougher financial climes too) I don't think its a worry

Scott there are some of my friends that dont go anymore and that is due to the costs of watching league 2 footy. Most of them go to the West Ham now.
I had a season ticket for many seasons before I moved to Southampton but I have already purchased my season ticket for next season I did it last week.
Regardless of all our of field troubles on the pitch is what counts and although we have found ourselves on a bit of a dip in form since northampton away we would of never dreamt of the season we have had last year.

I was always a big fan of tilly but would he of been able to assemble the current squad of players we have now probably not and when times were hard last season PS brought in 17 players within a matter of 48hrs.
We will be playing league 1 footy next season and I firmly believe a number of our fans who have opted to stay away will all be back again

I was always a big fan of tilly but would he of been able to assemble the current squad of players we have now probably not and when times were hard last season PS brought in 17 players within a matter of 48hrs.
We will be playing league 1 footy next season and I firmly believe a number of our fans who have opted to stay away will all be back again

Totally agree with this

Ron
Tilly saga
Financial problems
The Economy
Style of football
Recent poor run
Other priorities
Poor marketing
Disillusionment

Its all very well blamining lower attendances on all those reasons but the actual reason we are getting the crowds we are is because we are in league two. The fact that we are in league two is because of the clubs finanical woes so you can certainly pin the attendances on Ron Martin, but people who say they are staying away because of Ron or whatever are using that as a handy excuse as they would still be coming if we were in League One.

If we go up we will get bigger crowds, if we dont we wont even if we start playing attractive football.

Perhaps if you write down your priorities now, then what you want them to be in 1 year, 5 years & 10 years; you may find that sport slides down the scale somewhat, the reasoning usually is life changes.....

Disposable income, cut backs, job, marriage, child(ren), owning a property, health, transport - some of these changing yearly! But it is extremely likely the club will still be here, same old problems, discussions, disagreements & upset to some fans/supporters etc etc...........

One is a sporting event (or football club) & one is your life...........

Just been chatting to some good friends, I am not going to name names out of respect but these guys I have been talking with have been away with me for years home and away and for the first time I can EVER recall I am hearing comments like 'Don't care anymore' and 'Can't be arsed' 'Pay money players let the club down' These people won't be going tonight.

In the past I have said I have had enough and I am not going but I am always always drawn back and since I cut back on drinking and other naughty things I have been enjoying watching a game and being able to give an account of it a few days later rather then just a blur.

So it really concerns me that my friends wont be at football what is happening at our club to put our hardcore fans off?

Maybe I am looking at things wrong and this is natural progression for most fans?

Maybe I am worried I will lose my mates? or at least lose touch with them?

Maybe its the economey and its now filterd down to the week in week out fan?

Maybe I am worried that these guys not going will seriously damage our vocal support home and away?

Maybe there is something deeply wrong at our football club?

OR

Maybe I am being ****ing stupid about all of it?

Really not felt this low since just before Ipswich away in the championship and most who know me will know what happened!

Regards

Down and Depressed

I used to be far more fanatical about football in my early twenties. Wouldnt miss any game on TV and would watch 2 or 3 games on Sunday.

Now I dont even have Sky Sports and rarely even watch England games outside of tournaments.

Life changes as you go along and priorities change. There are times I go to every single game and then I can go ages without any. I didnt go to Southend for a decade after 94, then came back and got a season ticket.

I love my football, but I have a family and theres plenty of stuff I love doing as much as going to Roots Hall...

There are fans not going to games but this away from home is not affecting away support, we are one of the best sets of supporters in the league to take 350+ to plymouth and to sing all game that is support. The fans who arent going will end up coming back when either,

a) we are back into the championship
b) there are ticket offers on or ticket prices reduce
c) when we have a decent cup game home or away.

Had we of got to liverpool all of the stay away fans would of been back but we didnt instead we are in the top 3 of the league looking for promotion and people are still criticising the team.
There are only 3 games we have been well and truely beaten and that is swindon home and away and cheltenham away. Although alot of people disagree with our style of hoof ball it has got us results we are not in the top 3 out of luck we are there on merit and there to stay

Bottom line is that its simple choices in life we all have to make. Ive been going for 32 years and will to the day i die. My son now 7 has a season ticket and i work all week to then be able to go and enjoy watching the shrimpers. I have made sacrafices in life and both my wife and i have been out of work in the last year, but i gave up much more before i would ever give up the football. I have many many friends at roots hall aned if its a choice between watching football or going down the pub on a friday nite, then there is no choice. But im not being critical its everyones choice to make the decison that suits them, i just cant imagine not being fussed or bothered about watching the team i love through thick or thin. UTB

Ah bless Smiffy yet another negative view,
Ron Martin has taken the club to the highest levels and 2 cup finals and is set to build a new stadium.
The so called Tilly saga is history, he did well to get us promoted but could not sustain it and failed to stop the slide and Ron replaced him with the best manager he could and Sturrock is the best at this level.
Financial problems are no bother to fans who decide whether to watch a game, it is the middle of a freezing cold February and a Friday night. Finances of the club have no effect on such decisions.
The economy affects all clubs and all fans.
The style of football is a misnomer, so called hoof was route one in the past and no one moaned when we had success in the past with direct football The team went 17 games unbeaten playing direct football.
The recent poor run sees us in 3rd place, no team will win all their games ever.
There are always other priorities.
Poor marketing is possibly a problem but not sure how much more the club can do at this level with trying to run a tight ship. Do you want expensive ads in newspapers or telly ads.
Perhaps some experienced marketing people could come on this site and post some positive material to lift the gloom that abounds in SZ.
Fans expectations are a little unrealistic perhaps given that this club is not a rich one with International support, but more a small club with low support doing well in pushing for promotion.
Come on lads, try being positive, it can put a smile on your face and make those around you feel more inspired.:smile:

Ron
Tilly saga
Financial problems
The Economy
Style of football
Recent poor run
Other priorities
Poor marketing
Disillusionment

I'm fairly gutted I'm not going tonight but I'm 100% staying at home for various reasons. I'm a loyal fan hardly miss a home game and have been going to Roots Hall since 1986.

Back