• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Vet's fees.

Thanks for all the sage advice chaps. As a result we've done some thorough risk and cost analysis based on the insurance/pension options and we've decided, given his age, that the most cost effective next step is to have him put down.

I know you're joking, but I had to do that with my first cat. I couldn't afford the £2K they wanted just for a brain scan, so I had to sent him to cat heaven. :Frustrated:

The PDSA (Peoples Dispensary for Sick Animals) are very good, they used to have a surgery near York Road but unfortunately this has closed. They have a animal hospital in Basildon and in other places they have another 47 around the country.

The PDSA is a charity relying on donations, it is a low cost service for people on benefits and those on state pensions, it also has a free service for some qualifying people, (you can see is you qualify by checking your eligibility below.

PDSA
https://www.pdsa.org.uk/

Eligibility
https://www.pdsa.org.uk/taking-care-of-your-pet/eligibility

Re Insurance, before you get it ask your vet to see your pets records. We didn’t, even n a puppy checkup the vet pulled our dogs legs apart and he yelped- if someone pulls my legs apart he would Yelp. 3 years later max needs We be , possibly both, hips replaced. We did the first one 18 months ago and touch wood the extra strength means we must get not have to get the first one done. Cost 6500 each hip, and the the insurance company (I am happy to name) got out of it because max yelped as a puppy! The vet didn’t even mention it at the time as something to be confused mcermed about, and didn’t ask them see him against n specifically told do the same test!

Vet
Leave school with excellent GSCE”
Leave college with excellent A levels
Academically be in the top 5%
Go to university for 5 years- leave with a more ntain of debt.

And people wonder why vets want paying !

As an aside , newly qualified vets get paid bugger all- they certainly don’t do it for the money

Vet
Leave school with excellent GSCE”
Leave college with excellent A levels
Academically be in the top 5%
Go to university for 5 years- leave with a more ntain of debt.

And people wonder why vets want paying !

As an aside , newly qualified vets get paid bugger all- they certainly don’t do it for the money
Sounds like there is a vet in your family somewhere along the line. For what it's worth I started this thread asking whether the vet's fee I paid was reasonable. there never was a swipe at vets' earnings.

Sounds like there is a vet in your family somewhere along the line. For what it's worth I started this thread asking whether the vet's fee I paid was reasonable. there never was a swipe at vets' earnings.
Nope, you couldn’t be further from the truth. my daughter was interested when she was younger but is now at uni doing medicine.
Additionally , and I am cutting a long story short,for our horse and dog we are out of pocket well over £10,000 in vet bills and two separate vet errors ( that were 100 % preventable) cost us over £7,000 of that and resulted in our horse being un-rideable for a year, making it unsellable and reducing its value by £6000. So all in all they have cost be over £16000 with £13,000 of that being preventable, so if any one has a reason for not likening vets it would be me unfortunately

Nope, you couldn’t be further from the truth. my daughter was interested when she was younger but is now at uni doing medicine.
Additionally , and I am cutting a long story short,for our horse and dog we are out of pocket well over £10,000 in vet bills and two separate vet errors ( that were 100 % preventable) cost us over £7,000 of that and resulted in our horse being un-rideable for a year, making it unsellable and reducing its value by £6000. So all in all they have cost be over £16000 with £13,000 of that being preventable, so if any one has a reason for not likening vets it would be me unfortunately
Gulp!! Vets, yep terrible people.

Back