• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Vic Jobson research

Chalky

Coach
I am in a nerding out mood, so I have decided that I'm going to nerd out on Vic Jobson. As my first Southend game was in 2004, when I was about 6, so I missed out on his era. Though, my dad has told me minor boring stuff about him.

But for the life of me cannot find anything online about him, just a couple old photos and fairly innocuous echo articles.

So basically, what did he actually do? What was his main business, what made him successful? I did actually find out he got on very with Robert Maxwell (media proprietor, convicted fraudster, MP, Mossad links, father of Ghislaine) thats all very interesting.

Anyone on here meet him, have anecdotes about him? Are any of his family still local? What happened to his business's etc

Thanks

I am in a nerding out mood, so I have decided that I'm going to nerd out on Vic Jobson. As my first Southend game was in 2004, when I was about 6, so I missed out on his era. Though, my dad has told me minor boring stuff about him.

But for the life of me cannot find anything online about him, just a couple old photos and fairly innocuous echo articles.

So basically, what did he actually do? What was his main business, what made him successful? I did actually find out he got on very with Robert Maxwell (media proprietor, convicted fraudster, MP, Mossad links, father of Ghislaine) thats all very interesting.

Anyone on here meet him, have anecdotes about him? Are any of his family still local? What happened to his business's etc

Thanks

Interesting ... I believe that the poster known as 'fbm' worked for the club in the early '90s and might be prepared to share some non-hurtful info. (to VJ's family) perchance.

I was very young at the time, but the things that i remember were, flogging parts of the ground for cash, wanting to move us to basildon, being a chairman who didnt have any money, and generally showing disdain and looking down on us 'lowly fans'.

But like with all chairmen, they are ignored when we win and bear the brunt when things go bad.

Quite the 80s lower league chairman.

I remember the only time that I had a word from him was when I was sat in front of him and Dave Webb at Ashton Gate in early '92 - it was a draw - as my brother (not Tangled, but the other one) was in with one of their Director guys. I turned around to try to get Webby to autograph my prog., but Vic stopped him and said, "He's working."

Thanks

I seem to recall he was a property developer like Ron.

Anton Johnson was a butcher!

I'm interested to know where all the past owners of the club got their money from to buy the club. I suspect that up until the early 1980's they all built up real wealth by providing a product or service to the community. And used that wealth for the benefit of SUFC. And since the early 1980's none of them have had any wealth and all borrowed money to buy the club. They then ran the club to serve themselves. What went wrong?

Id be interested to know more about that time, it was just as i started going i probably met him back then when bobby moore autographed my programme after one of the matches. I must have been 7 or 8. Not sure how my dad managed to wangle that.

He was a property man though I have a recollection of a court case where he described himself as an unemployed joiner. Could be wrong.

Vic certainly was an old school chairman who had a difficult relationship with the fans. He also had another side.
I had an elderly friend who paid for his disabled brothers season ticket for years before he retired and couldn't afford to continue to do so. He went to the Hall, asked to speak to Vic and was surprised to be shown to his office.
He said he started to tell Vic about his brother only to be abruptly interrupted. Vic asked what seat he wanted, phoned his secretary and told her to issue the ticket which was automatically renewed every year until Vic sold up.
I'm sure there will be many negative stories to follow but it shows another side to the man.

When he was here I was in my teens so a lot of it went over my head. Protests and peed off fans I do remember, Stan’s debut loads missed as they didn’t go in the ground. Some of the best times watching Southend were under him but I only paid attention to what happened on the pitch. Didn’t he bring us Bate, Moore and Murphy? But also Webby, Fry (Judas) and Collymore .. ups and downs or what.

This thread will run and run! I had lunch with Ron in the Boatyard when he first took over (long story). My first question was "are you simply Vic Jobson mark2, and can you understand why we are suspicious of another property developer?". He replied that Vic Jobson was known to him (next door neighbour) but, IIRC, the only time he had a conversation with him was to politely ask him to stop his builders from pi**ing against his wall.

Didn't Vic have something to do with Laing? They sponsored our shirts in the 1980s I think.

My main memory of Vic (I started supporting the club properly in the mid 1990s) was him being rather bull-headed stubborn fellow who nevertheless cared deeply for the football club. He wound the fans up something proper though because PR was not his strong point. When we were on the up in the 1990s, punching well above our weight, there was a lot of pressure on him to invest more in the team, I guess some thought he was not ambitious enough.

Unfortunately, when he got ill, the club went to rack and ruin, rather like it is now, and it was the reason he sold up in the end (he died shortly after IIRC). Some would say he held on too long.

There was a lot of ill-feeling towards VJ at the end, but like someone else said, people tend to remember the bad times with chairmen. At the end of the day, he saved the club when he took it over, and he was the chairman that presided over us reaching the second tier for the first time in our history.

Interesting ... I believe that the poster known as 'fbm' worked for the club in the early '90s and might be prepared to share some non-hurtful info. (to VJ's family) perchance.

Thanks, I will give him time to see if he comes across this thread and if not, will reach out via PM ?

Back