• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Vic Jobson research

Cheers guys, I have now also seen that he definitely did property developing.

Another thing that is interesting was regards Vic's talk of moving the club to Basildon. What on earth was the motivation behind that, did he think that moving us more centrally in Essex meant a bigger catchment area for new fans or something?

Vic Jobson was a complex, larger than life character. Nice one day, then abrupt the next. He upset us all when he announced the proposed move to Basildon. What a lot don't know is that the threat was really aimed at the council. I had a go at him over it the first time I spoke to him. He barked at me, had a go and then calmed down. He told me Southend were training at Priory Park, had been for many years, and the council kicked them off. The council at the time didn't seem to get on with him or the football club. He reached out to Basildon Council, and they said Southend were welcome to train at Gloucester Park. So they did. He said he just wanted and needed support from Southend Council.

I never new this

Their chairman Vic Jobson had a major position in the building firm Laing who became the club’s sponsor. Laing’s corporate colour was yellow on advertising hoardings and was therefore introduced as part of the club colours, remaining until Jobson’s departure in 1997 when the club returned to the traditional blue and white colours.

Used to stand in the North Bank in 90/ 91/92 /93behind the goal and remember a lot of jobson out chanting over the basildon move. Was only 14 but they were great times. Taveled away to wolves decrepit old stadium in those seasons, Millwall, away, Sheffield Wednesday in the cup and many other great away days. Remember going over the North Bank fence onto the pitch fir a mass protest sit in or something to do with the jobson out campaign on what I guess was a last day of the season thing, but so long ago I can't remember.

At least we had a good side and were playing well, I can't remember why we were all so angry compared to gmhow things are now!

I seem to recall he was a property developer like Ron.

Anton Johnson was a butcher!

Starting to read into Anton now...These are the two pieces I've just read.

and here is his book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/King-Clubs-Anton-Johnson/dp/1781485283#:~:text=King Of Clubs Paperback – 29,2012&text=Kicking a football in the,would have on his life.

Anyone read it?

Starting to read into Anton now...These are the two pieces I've just read.

and here is his book - https://www.amazon.co.uk/King-Clubs-Anton-Johnson/dp/1781485283#:~:text=King Of Clubs Paperback – 29,2012&text=Kicking a football in the,would have on his life.

Anyone read it?

Think I did at the time but fortunately it's left no lasting impression.Just the usual whitewash.

Vic Jobson was a complex, larger than life character. Nice one day, then abrupt the next. He upset us all when he announced the proposed move to Basildon. What a lot don't know is that the threat was really aimed at the council. I had a go at him over it the first time I spoke to him. He barked at me, had a go and then calmed down. He told me Southend were training at Priory Park, had been for many years, and the council kicked them off. The council at the time didn't seem to get on with him or the football club. He reached out to Basildon Council, and they said Southend were welcome to train at Gloucester Park. So they did. He said he just wanted and needed support from Southend Council.

I was involved with the United for Southend group at the time (vice-chairman, actually, but I didn't get an office) that was set up at the time. Vic was initially our target but we also tried to put pressure on the council too, speaking at a council meeting (the late Keith Summers putting in a particularly fine performance) and such like. We also organised the boycott of the Notts County game which meant I missed Collymore's debut (typical) but I think in hindsight that Vic was playing a PR game and hoped that we could be his "instrument".

But one has to realise that in those days SBC was pretty much run as a fiefdom by a similarly dictatorial figure as Vic; Cllr Norman Clarke who would have been quite happy to see SUFC fold and wasn't in the least bothered about the club moving to Basildon (an empty threat, I now realise) so it was just one big stalemate. It really was six of one and half a dozen of the other, though.

I must admit that whenever I talked to Vic he certainly could turn on the chat and charm if he wanted to. Even though I didn't particularly trust him, having been button holed for 10 minutes by him I always came away thinking "what a nice man".

Good Old Vic a property developer who borrowed money from Robert Maxwell and Ken Bates (judge a man by the company he keeps!) to buy our club and save it from extinction.

Never in it for the popularity vote. I remember he stopped youth prices in the North Bank, which forced many young fans to become members to pay concessions admittance in the West stand (and it was standing). Brandishing us fans as Hitler Youth.

This along with the proposed move to Basildon, a tactic to try and force SBC's hand. He also changed the club badge by including the Chelsea Lion in one of the quarters.

He did over see the conversation of Roots Hall into the all seater it is now. I seem to remember some if the chairs in the East stand were cast offs from Chelsea, but not sure Vic was the one who over saw that.

I remember meeting him one day when at the Roots Hall Market. He said the market was the extra 4,000 fans on the gate in terms of revenue.
Never proven, but there was many a time on a Friday night game the ground would be heaving, and yet the usual 4,000 odd would be announced as the attendance. I guess what the taxman doesn't know....

went to tranmere rovers on New years day years ago, as the players got off the coach, Vic handed all the comps out to the southend fans... Also I believe he changed the shrimp on the shirt to a lion, in recognition of Ken Bates lending him money to invest. I hated him as a kid, because I thought thats what we all have to do... Better the devil you know than the devil you dont. brought an old firmholm kit from the club shop, and Vic was in there I must have been 9 ish? and he invited me and my mum over to his office and spent the next hour showing us that little model he had of the Basildon Complex.. New a Gangster to did old Vic? Didnt Webby punch him in the tunnel in front of Dave Martin?? and Left Dave martin standing there just staring that the chairman holding his nose?? Something along those lines

I remember the only time that I had a word from him was when I was sat in front of him and Dave Webb at Ashton Gate in early '92 - it was a draw - as my brother (not Tangled, but the other one) was in with one of their Director guys. I turned around to try to get Webby to autograph my prog., but Vic stopped him and said, "He's working."

Can confirm this as I was there as well - not in the directors box but the press box!!! (arranged by Rob`s brother) and met Vic in the directors room after the game where similar conversations took place

Last edited:
I'm interested to know where all the past owners of the club got their money from to buy the club. I suspect that up until the early 1980's they all built up real wealth by providing a product or service to the community. And used that wealth for the benefit of SUFC. And since the early 1980's none of them have had any wealth and all borrowed money to buy the club. They then ran the club to serve themselves. What went wrong?
Begins with 'T'; ends with 'R'.

I lived over the road to him. That was before he left his wife and shacked up with the Roots Hall bar maid over in Benfleet.

He banned me and my dad from renewing our season tickets purely because we happened to be friendly with our neighbour. Our neighbour was Alan Gershlick, the then SUFC solicitor, who sued Vic/SUFC for many years of work that he refused to pay for and won. He banned all the Gershlicks, and us for good measure.

I managed to persuade him to reverse his decision. If you want the whole story I'll let you know, but I really can't be arsed to regurgitate it unless you really want to know.

I lived over the road to him. That was before he left his wife and shacked up with the Roots Hall bar maid over in Benfleet.

He banned me and my dad from renewing our season tickets purely because we happened to be friendly with our neighbour. Our neighbour was Alan Gershlick, the then SUFC solicitor, who sued Vic/SUFC for many years of work that he refused to pay for and won. He banned all the Gershlicks, and us for good measure.

I managed to persuade him to reverse his decision. If you want the whole story I'll let you know, but I really can't be arsed to regurgitate it unless you really want to know.

A little off topic but Alan's Father or His Uncle THBOMK used to Own a biscuit factory "GLORIA BISCUITS" which was down an alley in Victoria Avenue just before The Blue Boar. Road entrance was via Colchester Road and Wallis Avenue. A claim to fame was a GOLIATH biscuit that Wagon Wheels took to task as too much of a copy!!!

Back