• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

number11

"Good morning everybody........"
I had the 'pleasure' of travelling along here yesterday and, although maybe I was just feeling melancholy at it being the end of the weekend, I was struck by how thoroughly sad and depressing the section nearest town looks.

I've known people who have at various times worked at the Heath's building, Corby House, Premier House and the old benefits centre. It must have been an incredibly vibrant, busy and thriving commerical area, with the knock on effect of thousand's of people heading into town or cafe's or bookies or pubs and keeping a healthy flow to the local economy.

Now there are several HUGE office blocks completely vacant, derelict and vandalised. It must be a thoroughly depressing sight for anyone visiting the town for the first time.

Who owns these buildings, why have they been left vacant for so long and what is going to be done with them.......or what should be done with them??

I know that HM Customs & Excise had a much larger presence on Victoria Avenue a few years ago, but many of the jobs that were once based in Southend were shunted up to Liverpool and Manchester. My cynical side tells me that the Labour government didn't feel like having people who voted for the Tories on the state payroll, but I believe (and Lord Football will know better than I) that this process actually started under the Tories. It's not surprising that the A127 westbound represents a car park every morning when there are so few office jobs actually based in Southend since the downsizing of HMRC operations and the closure of Access. Of course, all the Northern monkeys would have us believe that we all live in mansions and take siestas under palm trees whilst plucking guitars and eating grapes. It's grim down south now you mugs.

I had the 'pleasure' of travelling along here yesterday and, although maybe I was just feeling melancholy at it being the end of the weekend, I was struck by how thoroughly sad and depressing the section nearest town looks.

I've known people who have at various times worked at the Heath's building, Corby House, Premier House and the old benefits centre. It must have been an incredibly vibrant, busy and thriving commerical area, with the knock on effect of thousand's of people heading into town or cafe's or bookies or pubs and keeping a healthy flow to the local economy.

Now there are several HUGE office blocks completely vacant, derelict and vandalised. It must be a thoroughly depressing sight for anyone visiting the town for the first time.

Who owns these buildings, why have they been left vacant for so long and what is going to be done with them.......or what should be done with them??

Heath House was supposed to be demolished and replaced with flats I believe, can only presume that the recession knocked that on the head.

And maybe it's just me, but the amount of traffic due to diversions around there is just plain daft. What was wrong with the roundabout?

To be fair RBS did keep a presence in the borough and employs a lot of people.

I would imagine the three largest employers in town are Southend Hospital, Southend Council and the various supermarkets.

Pretty sad really.

Last edited:
And maybe it's just me, but the amount of traffic due to diversions around there is just plain daft. What was wrong with the roundabout?

Yeah that's one of the things I don't understand - The seafront and the Vic cricus roundabout must be costing a packet but the benefit is going to be minimal if any, yet so many offices so close to town is a blight and a waste of good location which could help the town and its economy. Are those buildings council owned or privately owned? If Council owned surely they should be doing something about it. I think its such a sad sight having an area that was so thriving now be derelict, but even worse when this is right at the doorstep of town.

Blame all those lazy unemployed people that just didn't want to get on their bikes.

No wonder all these companies moved some place where people actually want to work.

I suspect in more prosperous times those offices will have been demolished and replaced with better quality, more modern (they're not that old, but they haven't aged well and look very much out-dated) ones. At the moment it just doesn't pay to do so and businesses will be opting for more modern out of town locations with more parking.

I know that HM Customs & Excise had a much larger presence on Victoria Avenue a few years ago, but many of the jobs that were once based in Southend were shunted up to Liverpool and Manchester. My cynical side tells me that the Labour government didn't feel like having people who voted for the Tories on the state payroll, but I believe (and Lord Football will know better than I) that this process actually started under the Tories. It's not surprising that the A127 westbound represents a car park every morning when there are so few office jobs actually based in Southend since the downsizing of HMRC operations and the closure of Access. Of course, all the Northern monkeys would have us believe that we all live in mansions and take siestas under palm trees whilst plucking guitars and eating grapes. It's grim down south now you mugs.

This might be my fault, as during my sojourn in the grim Northern wastelands I did help encourage this view.

As badly hit as the South-East may have been by the recession, I'm pretty sure it's still grimmer up North.

Yeah that's one of the things I don't understand - The seafront and the Vic cricus roundabout must be costing a packet but the benefit is going to be minimal if any, yet so many offices so close to town is a blight and a waste of good location which could help the town and its economy. Are those buildings council owned or privately owned? If Council owned surely they should be doing something about it. I think its such a sad sight having an area that was so thriving now be derelict, but even worse when this is right at the doorstep of town.

Its been like it for years mate.

I think i said the same sort of thing to either Em or someone else a couple of weeks back! It is a real eyesore and if anything ever gets done, its going to take bloody ages anyway!!

I suspect in more prosperous times those offices will have been demolished and replaced with better quality, more modern (they're not that old, but they haven't aged well and look very much out-dated) ones. At the moment it just doesn't pay to do so and businesses will be opting for more modern out of town locations with more parking.

This might be my fault, as during my sojourn in the grim Northern wastelands I did help encourage this view.

As badly hit as the South-East may have been by the recession, I'm pretty sure it's still grimmer up North.

Believe me, it's ****ing grim up here.

The state of Victoria Avenue is a concern but my real worry is the state of Victoria Shoes.

I used to stop and marvel at some of the slip ons on display in white, tan or even powder blue leather with stack heels, extensive lattice work and gold chains.

images

Now it is all teen fashion.

I worked on Heath House whilst working for two developers. Both times proposals were put forwards to the council for residential and mixed use schemes but the council played hard ball saying it had to stay as a commercial use building.

Oh and 6 years on the building is still vacant.

Have heard three different scenarios recently for HEath House, one is for use as a paintball "experience", one for a new school and the other for housing. There was a feature in the Echo recently about the relative success or otherwise of those "giants" along Vic Ave, which made interesting reading, if I can find the link I'll post it up. As someone who used to visit HMC&E a couple of times a year as one of their bunch of "personal" bankers, I think it's a huge shame to see it empty. When I worked in the High Street 20 odd years ago, the hole area was buzzing with throngs of people going to and from those office buildings and the bus stops used to have massive queues at the end of the working day. Now I see they're even talking about closing the library which is one of the best facilities of its kind, and rebuilding a new one in the High Street, nearer to the University.

Last edited:
Instead of encouraging business and government clients to remain in Victoria Avenue, with competitive business rates and incentives, typically of Southend Council they kept increasing the charges until it became too expensive to remain there.

I would imagine the three largest employers in town are Southend Hospital, Southend Council and the various supermarkets.

Reckon Key Med must be in the top 3. Half of Temple Farm Ind estate houses them. If they were to ever move away, then the area would be a ghost town.

Back