• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Finally someone listened to Kaka. Throughout this entire silly episode, the Brazilian midfielder has begged and pleaded with the AC Milan management not to sell him to Manchester City. He has told them that he wants to stay and captain the side. He said that he wanted to grow old at the San Siro. He may even have added that he was terrified of sharing a room with Craig Bellamy. Eventually, even Silvio Berlusconi had to take his fingers out of his ears and listen.

Kaka's rejection of Manchester City's millions is an encouraging reminder that money isn't everything, but it's not quite the 'victory for football' that some have dubbed it. Sadly, the AC Milan star is not your typical player. He's devout, mature and he's intelligent enough to realise that he's not exactly on the poverty line in Italy. Top class footballers may say that they want to play in the top competitions and win medals, but the whisperings of an agent will almost always sway them. Congratulations to Kaka for staying true to his ideals, but Manchester City's owners will knocking on someone else's door in no time. Not every player has Kaka's values.

But a 'victory for football'? No, I'm afraid not. City are still there, distorting the transfer market with their millions, just like Chelsea did in 2003. GBP14m for Craig Bellamy? That's a lot of money for an injury-prone, ageing striker with a poor strike rate and a long history of causing trouble. Incidentally, do you think it's any coincidence that Kaka broke off negotiations just hours after Bellamy's move was confirmed? I can't say that I blame him.

A victory for football would be some kind of global legislation preventing clubs from spending more than their turnover, unbalancing the league with artificial transfer funding. A victory for football would be an overhaul of the transfer system, centralising transactions to prevent agents taking millions out of the game. No-one has any complaints about a player's official agent earning his fee for looking after his client, but why is it taking three or four of them to broker deals these days? Did you spot the identity one of the many agents involved in the doomed Kaka transaction? Kia Joorabchian. Enough said.

Manchester City have a chance to cement their position somewhere near the top of English football. With a fanbase that stayed loyal in the third flight, a modern international grade stadium and one of the finest academies in Europe, there's more potential at the Eastlands than there ever was at Chelsea. If they just keep their nerve and grow sensibly, like Aston Villa under Randy Lerner, there is no limit to what they can achieve.

Instead, they seem determined to chuck money around like a tipsy lottery winner. They didn't even need a Kaka. The one part of the team that actually is Champions League standard is the bank of three attacking midfielders behind the striker. The abrupt departure of Robinho is a demonstration of what happens when you buy the reputation before you study the man. He's a fine player, but his tears and tantrums at Real Madrid last summer told their own story.

Manchester City can take Kaka's rejection as a temporary setback in their vast spending plans or as a sign that their strategy is doomed to failure. Sadly, I think we all know which conclusion they'll hurl themselves at. Victory for football? The madness has only just begun.

i dont think the money in football is a bad thing, its just the distribution of it.

If it could someway make its way down to the lower leagues it might not be a bad thing.

I think the FA should have some 3% tax on all transfers in and out of Britain, that would be shared by the football league, or could be used to help clubs in trouble.

it wouldnt add much to your lower league £100k transfer, but when you get the likes of Craig Bellamy moving for £14m, if the selling club and the buying club had to pay £420k each to the FA, thats almost a million that would go back towards the 'grass roots'.

Nice idea dave ... however the muppets from the premier$hite don't give a monkeys about "grass roots" football .... unfortunately

i dont think the money in football is a bad thing, its just the distribution of it.

If it could someway make its way down to the lower leagues it might not be a bad thing.

I think the FA should have some 3% tax on all transfers in and out of Britain, that would be shared by the football league, or could be used to help clubs in trouble.

it wouldnt add much to your lower league £100k transfer, but when you get the likes of Craig Bellamy moving for £14m, if the selling club and the buying club had to pay £420k each to the FA, thats almost a million that would go back towards the 'grass roots'.

great idea. Dave for Head of the FA!

Kaka's rejection of Manchester City's millions is an encouraging reminder that money isn't everything, but it's not quite the 'victory for football' that some have dubbed it. Sadly, the AC Milan star is not your typical player. He's devout, mature and he's intelligent enough to realise that he's not exactly on the poverty line in Italy.

He's also not your typical Brazilian footballer. By all accounts he's from a rather wealthy family and therefore is used to money and doesn't have to chase every penny like other people.

He's also not your typical Brazilian footballer. By all accounts he's from a rather wealthy family and therefore is used to money and doesn't have to chase every penny like other people.

Haven't there been examples of the richer "upper class" Brazilian footballers (Leonardo springs to mind as one) as well as the players from the slums (Ronaldo/Ronaldinho/Pele)? I don't think him being from a wealthy background is particularly unusual.

Trouble is, wage capping linked to turnover would only serve to reinforce the gap between the haves and have-nots. A victory for football for me would be an equitable distribution of TV money and, if wage capping is a must, for it to be set at a fixed level that creates at least some semblance of a level playing field. I know that it's simply not going to happen - a level playing field is the absolute last thing that Manure and company would stand for.

Haven't there been examples of the richer "upper class" Brazilian footballers (Leonardo springs to mind as one) as well as the players from the slums (Ronaldo/Ronaldinho/Pele)? I don't think him being from a wealthy background is particularly unusual.

But it might explain why he's not bothered about the salary Man City were offering, and would rather stay where he is. He's more bothered about silverware than money.

Complete contrast to Robinho, who was a street kid in Brazil... Which is why he pledges so much of his money into his charity to help the street children in Brazil.

Here is the transcript of the telephone conversation between City's CEO and Kaka. Unfortunately only the City end of the conversation has been released.....

"Hello, is that Kaka ? How do you fancy becoming the supply line to Craig Bellamy and Darius Vassell this winter?

"No, your fellow countryman doesn't like the cold and will be out until mid April - but you will play alongside Stephen Ireland"

"No, Kaka , Ireland is a person not a country"

"yes, I fully appreciate that he is not Ronaldinho, Pirlo or even Beckham but many fans have him in their fantasy football"

"I know you are currently the richest man in Italy but we can double it!"

"erm, well, we have had a bit of a slide recently and we are currently 15th"

"erm, out of 20...... but Mark Hughes once won the double for our neighbours"

"Hughes"

"Ex Blackburn boss"

"Blackburn, Blackburn Rovers"

"No, Blackburn ......Black.....Burn"

"HUGHES man, HUGHES!!!"

"He once scored a good goal against Spain "

"No, that's Gerry Armstrong..... anyway, are you coming or not?"

"Usually about two thirds full but if we play a big team its really rocks"

"yes I know, but we don't even have a car park cos all the fans walk to the ground they are so local"

"Relevance? well, I suppose its all they have to brag about whether its true or not"

"Only the one to be fair but its called 'blue moon' you will love it"

"Blue"

"yes, definitely blue, always has been"

"No, no, no, they are in Trafford"

"yes they are, steeped in it in fact but what good is history to you my ambitious friend?"

"erm, 1976 I think"

"it was the er, the er League cup if memory serves me right"

"Well, the plan was to get in the top 4 this season and then....."

"yes, I realise that but....."

"Aston Villa? Whats it got to do with them?"

"Yes, I know but we have been down this history route already"

"How the heck does a Brazilian playing in Italy know about Nottingham Forest ?"

"Yes, yes, and Leeds United also made a final but you are missing my point, this is all about the future"

"Give me strength......HUGHES!!!!"

"yes I know he did and he was a legend there but he is a changed man"

"forget them, they are falling apart"

"But all those trophies were won last year! They have won nothing in 2009"

"I have told you.... 1976!!!!"

"How the heck does a Brazilian playing in Italy know that Virginia Wade has won Wimbledon since then?"

"Yes she probably is in her 60's"

"I dont know, probably about 10 league titles, 2 european cups and countless domestic cups what has that got to do with it?"

"76,000 why?"

"yes, every game, even minor cups I suppose, but where is this getting us?"

"Yes, the league cup is considered a minor cup over here why?"

"I know, I know, I know, ok perhaps they won the FA Cup in 1970 or something does it really matter?"

"look, Kaka, we will treble whatever you are on now, buy you a mansion in Alderley Edge and give you a helicopter for your front lawn....are you joining us?"

"NO!, its owned by the council - what has the ground got to do with anything"

"well, officially its the city of manchester stadium but most people call it Eastlands"

"EAST!, not Waste"

"You will be adored there"

"No, not there, here I meant"

"No, thats Old Trafford, I meant adored here at Waste....erm, Eastlands"

" Anderson ??? what does he know?"

"Ok I hear what you say, but other than Pride, Ambition, Achievement, History, Passion and a large car park - what can they offer you?"

"what do you mean no credit left in your phone.....I phoned you"

"Hello, Mr Kaka,...... Mr Kaka are you there?..........Hello ?................."

Back