• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Video Assistant Referee

GNH

Fish House Ultras⭐
I see that the first review off an offside decision happened today on the friendly between France and Spain.

Lino flagged for offside as Spain scored their second goal which looked very close. A quick chat between the ref and video ref showed he was onside and goal was given.

Not a fan of this being brought in over too many incidents as the refs interpretation is what matters however for clear cut decisons like offside, ball in/out of play this may well be a massive improvement.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Thought it worked brilliantly with the set-up used last night - only for goals, penalties and red cards.

Was also used to rule out France's goal which was initially given when it was offside. That one had a longer delay as they were making the decision to go to the VAR.

The only real argument I've seen against it so far is that it takes the excitement and passion out of the moment but that's a load of rubbish really. Would much rather get a fair result than allow a player a passionate celebration for a goal that shouldn't have stood, for example.

You're right that it could get dangerous if they try to implement it too widely, calling for free-kicks and more minor incidents, but it showed how quick and effective it can be and certainly seemed to make the referee's job a lot easier.

Thought it worked brilliantly with the set-up used last night - only for goals, penalties and red cards.

Was also used to rule out France's goal which was initially given when it was offside. That one had a longer delay as they were making the decision to go to the VAR.

The only real argument I've seen against it so far is that it takes the excitement and passion out of the moment but that's a load of rubbish really. Would much rather get a fair result than allow a player a passionate celebration for a goal that shouldn't have stood, for example.

You're right that it could get dangerous if they try to implement it too widely, calling for free-kicks and more minor incidents, but it showed how quick and effective it can be and certainly seemed to make the referee's job a lot easier.

Certainly the technology worked "brillantly". Guess (like Paul Ince) we'll all just have to get used to it in future.Brave New World and all that.:cricko:

Didn't like it one bit. Stalled the game, everyone standing waiting on the decisions for half a minute a time. As has been seen with penalty calls, even the so-called tv experts can't agree after viewing incidents from several different angles. Too much 'technical' meddling and the flow of the game will be gone forever. Goal-line technology fine, but anything else will
just slows down the game, could end up with ten minutes of unnecessary added-on time!

Didn't appear quick to me.

If video refs hadn't been used the game would have finished 1-1 instead of 2-0 to Spain, excitement or not getting the correct result is important. A lot is being made of this 40 second delay, but if a goal decision is wrong the players complain for a minute anyway.

It's been reported that the FA will make a decision in May about introducing video assistant referee's.

Initially it was expected that it would be introduced in the latter stages of the FA Cup in January 2018, but they are now considering introducing it as early as August this year in the 1st round of the EFL Cup.

Personally. i'm not against the idea of video assistant referee's (as a matter of fact I would say i'm currently 60/40 in favour of it). On the one hand getting the right decision regardless whether it would go either in our favour or not, is the most sensible and fairest thing to do, to improve the game.

However I do echo the voices from others about their concerns about it slowing the match down & not letting the game flow freely. but also agree that there is to much time wasted currently in football anyway, what with over celebrating, complaining to refs, fake injuries etc.

After all, it seems to work well in other fast paced sports, such as: Rugby, Basketball, Ice hockey & Tennis, not to mention of course Cricket, which I don't consider "fast paced", but correct decisions have been given or refused correctly upon review.

Rugby is a stop-start sport as is tennis and ice hockey and basketball have time-outs so any added time doesn't affect the flow of play in any of these sports.

Back