• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Villa - Can they break the Top 4?

MrB

Life President
Aston Villa's win over Blackburn took them above Chelsea into third and more importantly for them, Arsenal's draw Spurs means the gap is now 7 points with 13 games to play.

Only once in the last five seasons has a team managed to break the top 4, Everton pipped Liverpool in 2005 but went straight out in the qualifying round of the Champions League whilst Liverpool snuck in through the back door having won it. So the last time a non 'Big 4' team made the League stages was Newcastle in 02/03 (they also finished in the Top 4 that season but went out at the qualifying stage in 03/04).

I for one would love to see Villa do it (even funnier if it was at the expense of Chelsea rather than Arsenal!). I find the Champions League fairly monotonous but it would be interesting to see how Villa got on there as O'Neill really is putting together an excellent side.

Would also be interesting to see how one of the big 4 coped if they were deprived of Champions League revenue for a couple of seasons.

They have an excellent chance now, probably a better chance then they will ever have. Just look at the current England squad, there is Luke Young, James Milner, Gareth Barry, Ashley Young, Gabby Agbonlahor and Emile Heskey in there, that is more than any other team.

I'm worried about their strength in depth in certain positions though. Clubs like Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea can cope with a few injuries at the same time whereas I don't think Villa could.

They have a very good English base to the team, you've got the 6 in the England squad then you can mention Nicky Shorey, Curtis Davies, Zat Knight and Nigel Reo-Coker as well.

I really do hope they can break into the top 4. Would be a brilliant achievement for a brilliant manager.

Would also be interesting to see how one of the big 4 coped if they were deprived of Champions League revenue for a couple of seasons.

I saw a piece the other day that said Arsenal actually budget their seasons without Champions League money, so I bet they wouldn't be in a bad position if they didn't make the Champions League.

I saw a piece the other day that said Arsenal actually budget their seasons without Champions League money, so I bet they wouldn't be in a bad position if they didn't make the Champions League.
Yep, they certainly have the most control over their wages. Chelsea however is a different propsition entirely, would Abramovich lose interest? A season outside of the top 4 could be a disaster for them.

Yep, they certainly have the most control over their wages. Chelsea however is a different propsition entirely, would Abramovich lose interest? A season outside of the top 4 could be a disaster for them.

I think Roman lost interest ages ago.

Villa have the advantage of not being in the CL either at the moment, I think they will finish 4 ahead of The Arse.

I love the pace that Villa play at, i hope they finish 3rd or fourth, they desevre it

I don't really care for the CL .. but would love to see Villa knock one of the established sides out that is for sure

I'm worried about their strength in depth in certain positions though. Clubs like Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea can cope with a few injuries at the same time whereas I don't think Villa could.

I've always thought this too, and in Man Utd's case this is still very much true. Chelsea still have the numbers in their ranks, but due to some injuries, a lack of confidence and old age starting to set in I think those days when they could rely on their superstar bench are also numbered.

As for Arsenal and Liverpool, I still believe both teams have 3 or 4 great players and a whole bunch of averageness around them. And in both their cases, these players are starting to look injury prone and overworked.

I think Villa 'may' actually be the stronger side going into the latter part of the season...

Villa won't break the top four because they already have broken the top four. They are third and they deserve to be that high. I actually think that they'll finish in the top two. Heskey was an inspired signing and whilst they will take injuries they don't have the Champions League to juggle and have a brilliant manager who will keep them focussed on the job.

I hope they finish up there, deserve champions league football and the players are passionate.. good on them

Man United never budget for the Champions Leaque either. I'd be surprised if any British team actually did.

Yes. A good mixture of experience and youth. Barry, Heskey, Laursen and Friedal have great experience and great skill. They have players which could have a great future, such as Young, Agbonlahor, Milner, Reo-Coker, Davies, Gardner and some players coming through the ranks such as Delfouneso.

I would p1ss myself, i cant stand Chelsea, they brought the league for two seasons and nearly destroyed football, thank god for Man United stopping that, all though they win every year now!

Back