• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Vintage Shrimperzone: Retro Poll No.1

Should we sign Tony Scully on a permanent basis?

• Scully is a genius- break the bank Ron

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Use Beardo's pace on the flanks instead

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • ****ing show-pony. Back to Cambridge

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Undecided- is he really any better than Neil Jenkins?

Votes: 17 54.8%

• Total voters

NZamba Legend

Deep-lying playmaker ⭐
Retro is in kids and to boost flagging morale I thought it might be an idea to revisit some 'classic' debates that have been ground out on Shrimperzone's pages over the last five or so years.

First up is a question that for a few seconds intrigued the Shrimper world back in November 2002-

Should our affable Bristolian gaffer Rob Newman make the talented on-loan Tony Scully a permanent signing?

How did you respond to this soccer-centred quandary? Usual zone rules apply regarding offensive posts but please try and 'step back in time' to that first appearance against Wrexham (1-0 home defeat folks) and place yourself at the centre of that maelstom of emotion- what did it feel like to have witnessed the wizard of the dribble for the first time? Maybe you were only 15 at the time and thought Mark Rawle was the best player in the world. Perhaps you believed it was high-time that Mark Beard be tried 'out wide'. Wisened heads may even have thought Mark Salter's aerial power demanded a starting berth.

The floor, as they say, is yours:

Tony Scully- should we sign him on a permanent basis?

Last edited:
Definately got to snap up Jenkins....England U/19 player at the hall would be a great coup.

We signed Jenks in the summer and he is pony, the question is- has 'magic man' Scully got what it takes to maintain our lower mid-table position? It would be great if we could finish between 10th and 16th this season.

if we can get Dave McSweeney to overlap down the right too, the likes of Chester will be quaking in their boots.

if we can get Dave McSweeney to overlap down the right too, the likes of Chester will be quaking in their boots.

How about trying McSweeney ("McSWEEEENEY, McSWEEEEENEY, NA NA NANA NA NAAAAA NA NA NA!") at left back? It might just work??...

How about trying McSweeney ("McSWEEEENEY, McSWEEEEENEY, NA NA NANA NA NAAAAA NA NA NA!") at left back? It might just work??...

We'll never get promoted playing out of position a right-footed defender who cacks himself every time someone runs at him.

Perhaps it should have been a poll:

Who do you want appointed?

a) Ian Atkins
b) Stan Collymore
c) Steve Tilson

Atkins. I love Stan and Steve, but we can't keep chancing our arm on unproven managers.

Rubbish! It has to be Stan - back in a player-manager role. Just think, it would really bring the crowds flooding back to Roots Hall

Oh Stanley, Stanley!

:D

Tilly's doing a decent job with the academy, but the first team is surely a step too far...

:finger:

Tony Scully- should we sign him on a permanent basis?
Well, it depends what sort of contract we're offering. 6 months and £500 a week would be worth a gamble, although I'd still rather we tried Jenks on the flanks a little more. I know Jenks sees himself as a left back, but it's when he gets forward that he seems to cause the damage...

:confused:

Atkins. I love Stan and Steve, but we can't keep chancing our arm on unproven managers.

Might not go down well in some quarters, but what about Steve Wignall?

I've heard his son-in-law has got dinner plates as hands, so he could sort out our defensive woes at corners and crosses. Got to be better than having shorty in goal.

Rubbish! It has to be Stan - back in a player-manager role. Just think, it would really bring the crowds flooding back to Roots Hall

Oh Stanley, Stanley!

:D

Tilly's doing a decent job with the academy, but the first team is surely a step too far...

:finger:

I agree, with a big name like Stan in place we might even get 7,000 in the Hall each week given a bit of time.

Tilly for first team manager ? nah !! ! might as well give the job to that orient reject Brush

Gotta sign Scully, he has shown his has the talent for Division Three and can actually beat players and provide a decent final ball. Come on Buzz, do the right thing!

Im in season 2006/2007 on Football Manager and ive managed to get Southend to the Championship. I signed this great young player from Rotherham called Campbell Ryce - hes much better than Scully. Newman needs to go and find him now.

At the time I thought Tony Scully was the new Ryan Giggs. Sadly having seen both him and Jenkins on a regualr basis for Crawley Town I can confirm they are both equally as cack as each other.

I have voted to sign him as I am sure I woluld have back him in the day.

Back