• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Virgin media phone problem

Jai

President ⭐
I may be being very thick here but I'm loathe to call Virgin's 0845 customer service centre from my mobile only to hold for 20 minutes.

Basically I got virgin media installed at my new flat yesterday, phone, tv broadband package. The broadband and TV work fine and I have been given a phone number but I didn't actually have a phone when they installed it.

I've gone out and bought a handset today and I cannot for the life of me work out where to plug it in. I can only presume I need to unscrew the box attached to the wall and fiddle around in there but, having the DIY skills of a child of three, I'm likely to either electrocute myself or total my broadband.

Anyone shed any light on this matter for me?

Haven't you got a standard phoneline jack with a filter for the phone line? How is your broadband connected then?

Basically I have a large box which was there before (a Telewest box) which is plugged into the wall. Out of that comes one wire which then meets a filter with two sockets. Both are round sockets - one takes a wire to the V Box and one takes a wire to the cable modem. I can see hide nor hair of anything resembling a phone socket.

How odd. I suggest that you'd need an expert telecoms engineer to install the standard phone jack then. Sorry I can't be any more help as my broadband comes via the phone line.

Do you pay a line rental to Virgin? Perhaps they'd install it.

You should have one of these knocking around somewhere near a skirting board.

phone_socket.jpg

Just gently lift up the wire socket (the white thing between the two screws) and attached the end of your

691378.jpg

Then you should get

SuperStock_1613R-8217.jpg

Hope this helps.

All ex NTL-Telewest phone points can only be setup by a Virgin Media engineer, think you'll need to call somebody in I'm afraid!

phone_socket.jpg

Just gently lift up the wire socket (the white thing between the two screws) and attached the end of your

691378.jpg

Then you should get

SuperStock_1613R-8217.jpg

Hope this helps.

No the standard phone socket has been covered up by the box I think. There's one in another room but that doesn't seem to be connected. Also Aberdeen Shrimper I have used one of those filters before but there's no socket that would fit those connections. They must be inside the box. Time to get the screwdriver out methinks

CHeers lads. I'll get the ten a penny jokers round to do a proper job this time then.

phone_socket.jpg

You should definitely have a line jack unit like this somewhere near to the cable entry point. Your broadband and tv is on one coaxial (round, approx 12mm) cable which is then split to provide one to V box and one to modem. The phone line is seperate and approx 5/6mm and should lead to a lju on the skirting board/wall somewhere.

As Beemamad and Groyney said you should have had a phone point somewhere in addition to the BT one, as it is illegal for Virgin to tamper with the BT socket even if it is not used.

If you do not want to call the 0845 number you can either

a) find a friend on Virginmedia and use their phone and call 151.
b) join the Virginmedia Newsgroups, you can get an engineer booked via that method. the news group you need is virginmedia.support.telephony

As regards to an ADSL filter - you will not need this, as you have the cable version of Virgin services.

Last edited:
Aha - problem solved - phone point was behind the sofa on the opposite wall - told you I was being thick

Back