• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
When yesterday's home match against Walsall was over it got me thinking about how many times I had seen a visiting player like "ERHUN OZTUMER" leave either Roots Hall/Stadium/Kursaal with a hat-trick against his name.
To start this thread and I can only use Roots Hall as an example because apart from charity matches I have never seen us play anywhere else.
So can anyone remember a visiting player scoring a hat-trick against us?
I will start with the following match:-
January 8th.1977. F.A.Cup 3rd.Round. Southend United 0, Chester 4 (Ian Edwards 3, Ian Howat)

There was that fella for Watford* who was a converted left-back for the day and bagged a hat-trick in a 4-0 win that springs to mind immediately.

I'll try and think of some more.

*Edit : Darren Bazeley - 4th February 1995

Last edited:
Lloyd Owusu scored hat-tricks home AND away for Brentford against us in the 1998/99 season.

Perry Groves, maybe twice?

He got all 3 in the 4-2 defeat in October 85 but only 2 in the 5-2 defeat in January 85. Got another 3 in the Football League Trophy at Roots Hall in 4-0 defeat in Jan 86. That's 8 in less than a year - must be a record of some sort !

Edit: Checking this again, the Football League Trophy game was at Layer Road on 25th November and not at Roots Hall and we lost 4-1. Frank Lampard retired not long after those two pastings.

Last edited:
Oztumer's was of course the third we have conceded this season. Is that another record?

Edit: Was actually the fourth.....

Last edited:
Somewhere in the back of my mind I have this vague recollection that a 19 year old Alan "Sniffer" Clarke of Leeds and England fame scored all 3 for Walsall back in a 5-3 win for us in February 1966. Anyone else recall that because I can't find anything on line to prove it.

There was one I think for Morecambe not so long ago, 2013/14 rings a bell. We lost 1-3 and all their goals were scored (I think) by their midfielder Andrew Fleming

4 hat tricks against us this season and it's nearly 6 years since any of our players scored a hat trick in a first team game (20th April 2012 by the man who couldn't speak English v Barnet). That must be the longest run in our history without one.

When yesterday's home match against Walsall was over it got me thinking about how many times I had seen a visiting player like "ERHUN OZTUMER" leave either Roots Hall/Stadium/Kursaal with a hat-trick against his name.
To start this thread and I can only use Roots Hall as an example because apart from charity matches I have never seen us play anywhere else.
So can anyone remember a visiting player scoring a hat-trick against us?
I will start with the following match:-
January 8th.1977. F.A.Cup 3rd.Round. Southend United 0, Chester 4 (Ian Edwards 3, Ian Howat)

Blimey how many times did you see us play at the Kursaal:smile:
Do you remember this one F.W. Smith scored 3 for Watford at the Kursaal on the 26th April 1922.

Back