• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
but we can afford it if the Trust pays half - so your logic is wrong

Sturrock has a budget, he would rather spend £10,000 on this tour than £10,000 on new players . Who know whats best - Sturrock of the average fan, I know who I beleive.

We know a lack of preseason cost us this year , if we don't do the tour, and we miss the play offs or automatic promotion by a couple of points I think it will be reasonable for Sturrock to bring up the fact that this tour could have made all the difference .

its not whats right or wrong , obviously we should not be in this mess, but we are in it, and the tour will help --- to me that is the most importatn point?

That is not what the Trust is there for!
The cost is £20,000 not £10000 to the club! Not £10000 to the club and £10000 from the Trust who may need that to bail the club out of the ****e again next season.

Where does this poncing off of the Trust coffers end? Are they gonna be asked to pay staff next?

yes yes and yes if PS and CE say its a great benifit then i trust them and at the end of the day the trust was put in place to work WITH SUFC and what people forget is the club in the past have done alot for the trust

you mean the trust has done more than enough to help the club out more like.

The cost is £20,000 not £10000 to the club! Not £10000 to the club and £10000 from the Trust who may need that to bail the club out of the ****e again next season.

Where does this poncing off of the Trust coffers end? Are they gonna be asked to pay staff next?

good shout and i think common sense will pull through, well said.

Some of us WANT to go on a tour

Some of us, not disimilar to the club can't afford to go on tour!
Frankly, i'd prefer to spend what money i do have following the club during the season rather on pointless trips to Scotland!

I have already posted my thoughts in the Scottish tour thread but IMO this is just another **** take of the fans and The Trusts fans fund. I did not know they had already spent 12k recently on things for the club..which makes it even worse.

P.S True Blue
was that a package offer or just working out flights etc? about 6 of us wanna go so would be keen to know where most the blues fans will be staying if we get the go ahead?

Surely it boils down to what the fund is there for. The email from the Trust made reference to the Trust's motto - to help not hinder. If the fund is there as a pool of money to help out every now and then then it could certainly be argued that helping out paying bills for physio equipment and part financing a tour which the manager feels is very important is in line with that.

If it's a fighting fund to help keep the Club alive if the worst were to happen then I don't see how this, or the physio equipment, can be justified.

So what do people see that money as being there for?

Can someone stick up the email that was sent to Trust members please...
Tara Brady the Football Club's chief Executive has asked the Shrimpers Trust if we would contribute 10K which is approximately 50% of the cost of the proposed Scottish Tour next pre season . The committee had mixed views on this based on several points. We have recently pledged 12K for a variety of physio equipment and next years youth sponsorship and with funds falling in line with the lower crowds (and members) as well as the general financial situation we did not feel we would recoup the money in the coming 12 months.

However our motto is to "Help not Hinder" and we do have the money in the bank and if the pre-season tour were to be successful and meant a decent start to the season then the money could be argued to be well spent. The feeling here was any points gained by this expenditure would be worth it - although of course there are no guarantees. Paul and Craig were asked to write a paragraph on their feelings on this and their views are below

Paul Sturrock says: I have taken every side I have ever been manager of on a pre-season tour of some description as I believe it is a vital part of preparing for the season ahead. We spend something like 40 weeks training at the training ground each season and so a change of environment at the start of the season can help get the squad in the right frame of mind for the long year ahead. The facilities at the proposed venue are first class and will hopefully help ensure that we get the right levels of fitness into the squad so we avoid the problems we saw this season where we picked up numerous injuries due to a lack of a proper pre-season. There are also the benefits of bonding as a team and ensuring there is a team spirit with new players set to join this summer. I've no doubt the fans will also enjoy a weekend in Scotland and the proposed games should offer the team a good workout combined with those friendlies we are proposing back home.

Craig Easton says: A pre-season tour is an important part of the preparation for the new season, not only in terms of training and playing matches but it gives the squad an opportunity to get to know each other better. There will probably be new players coming in to strengthen the squad in the summer and it's a great chance for them to form a bond with those of us who are already here. A change of scenery with good facilities also helps focus everyone on the training aspect and builds upon the couple of hard weeks we'll have put in beforehand. I've been on many pre-season tours in my time in football and I think there are definite benefits, none more so than helping to build team spirit.
The committee felt that as the amount was considerable and timing was on our side (to a degree) that we should ask our members and consequently we would like you to use the following link to cast your vote as to if you wish the Trust to contribute £10,000 towards the Tour.

No I will be paying!!!

In the context that price I feel is DAMN good!

It dosnt end there does it Scott? Time you have paid out for Food, Drink, Programme, entrance money etc you can add at least the same again. And that is each! Say a bloke want to take his family or kids? Ridiculous waste of money!

Perhaps you would prefer to see people paying out for this waste of money rather than for when the season starts! Let us know your thoughts!

Surely it boils down to what the fund is there for. The email from the Trust made reference to the Trust's motto - to help not hinder. If the fund is there as a pool of money to help out every now and then then it could certainly be argued that helping out paying bills for physio equipment and part financing a tour which the manager feels is very important is in line with that.

If it's a fighting fund to help keep the Club alive if the worst were to happen then I don't see how this, or the physio equipment, can be justified.

So what do people see that money as being there for?

Not lavish unneeded trips!

If the Trust motto is "To Help Not Hinder", perhaps it will help me pay to go then!

Dont see what the fuss is all about. People are not being forced to pay for it. It is optional !! So if you choose not to support/contribute, dont, but why the need to make such an issue of it. Whats the old expression, "if you dont ask, you dont get ...!"

I am undecieded as of yet, but it will be my own decision, quite frankly if some people thinks its so wrong, I really dont care !

what are you talking about . The total cost is £20,000, £10,000 to the club, and £10,000 to the trust
What is the trust there for- quote from Trust website ' but we are always seeking to increase our investment to important causes within the club.'

They saw the physio equipment as an important cause, this cause is not as black and white hence they are asking the membership, and hence the debate here - Whats the difference between this and the physio equpment , or even sponsoring the youths and their tour for that matter?

I would be a little happier if it was a loan, repayable when we are promoted, or move to fossets

As for the not affording it bit, if the team building element of the tour works and we start the season with a winning run, then an extra 300 fans at at a tenner for 4 games would soon clear the 10k spent by the club on the tour.

Personally , I joined the trust at its outset because of its aim to set up a fighting fund. As things now stand a fighting fund is unattainable, the trust could never raise enough money to take the club over / bail it out fully, etc so my expectations have changed.

If the supporters can put their hands in their pockets and help the club do that bit more, whether its by buying equipment they need, sponsoring the youth, lending money to lift a transfer embargo or subsidising a pre season trip then I am ok with it.

Subsidising day to day activities is a different issue

Why should the club go on a jolly that the club cannot afford?

Why should the Trust pay half of the money needed?

Are they gonna pay my expenses too if i cannot afford to go? Bloody right they are not!

Being as the Trust has just spent £12,000.00 of Trust Members money on Physio equipment etc for the club because it can't provide it for itself should the club be told by the Trust how about not waste money on pointless tours?

When we went up in previous years we went on local tours (Bermuda excepted) to places like Wakering, Witham, Chelmsford, Canvey etc.. These are cheap to organise, cheap for fans, they help local clubs too. Why not this year too when we can't afford it?

This makes my blood boil when we can't afford simple physio equipment but are willing to waste it on a pointless (expensive for fans) tour!

Hardly, just booked hotel, flights and travel to and from airports,hotel and ground all for £150 each and thats for 15th to the 18th which I think its bloody good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back