• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Voyager Mission

Is ET about?

• We are alone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We are a random one off

• I believe in Hot Chocolate songs

• Co-op

• Total voters

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
I watched a programme last night on the televisual and actually was astounded.

So it has taken Voyager 35 years to travel to the end of our solar system, some 11 billion miles ( that bit I find hard to fathom)

It started in the 70's , people have grown up through it...

Seeing us as a Blue dot in space , no wonder people say nobody has visited this spot amongst 20 billion+ of them (although I think they have) This is Earth from Voyager: earth.jpg

The bit that made me think was, now voyager is out of our solar system it would take 45,000 years at 10 miles per second to ever find another star like our sun.

There is a fair debate that we are not alone in such a magnitude of space and time..

What do you think?

I do not believe in UFO's, life after death, religion e.g. God, but I think it possible that there is life somewhere else beyond our Earth.

I also, of course, believe in miracles. You sexy thang.

I was an physics undergraduate with Brian Cox.

I sometimes wonder if I hadn't been such a lazy waster whether I could have been the Jamie Oliver of physics..

I saw that documentary, was amazing stuff.

As for alien life there was a video floating around the other day from the Hubble telescope where they put together the biggest photograph of space.

When you see just how many billions of stars there are out there its mind blowing. There must be some form of life somewhere, but when you see how many places they would have to search to find us it makes the chances of any contact pretty much impossible.

http://www.space.com/28171-hubble-s-andromeda-galaxy-image-shows-over-100-million-stars-video.html

I saw that documentary, was amazing stuff.

As for alien life there was a video floating around the other day from the Hubble telescope where they put together the biggest photograph of space.

When you see just how many billions of stars there are out there its mind blowing. There must be some form of life somewhere, but when you see how many places they would have to search to find us it makes the chances of any contact pretty much impossible.

Go somewhere where there is no light pollution, somewhere like Dartmoor or even the Maldives (!) and you'll see just how many there are with your own eyes. It really is incredible.

When we go camping and you can see the sky its amazing, yet still no doubt see far less than the places you mention, and even then we are only seeing the tiniest of fragments of what there is.

Its what makes the notion of aliens having visited us at all, let alone in the last 60 years when mankind has entertained the idea,so unlikely.

So many places to search, so much distance, and to think aliens have visited us in the the blink of an eye humans have existed at all, let alone since we have been civilised just seems impossible to me.

Not alone, but no alien life will ever meet another due to the huge distances involved and the relatively tiny period that life exists on any planet.

Not alone, but no alien life will ever meet another due to the huge distances involved and the relatively tiny period that life exists on any planet.

You clearly haven't watched the Star Wars series of documentaries.

I do not believe in UFO's, life after death, religion e.g. God, but I think it possible that there is life somewhere else beyond our Earth.

I also, of course, believe in miracles. You sexy thang.

Touche,I raise you:smiles: [video=youtube;WeiufBduVE8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeiufBduVE8[/video]

It does get you thinking and with the distances quoted you do think that it is highly unlikely we have/will encounter alien lifeforms, not impossible though. I doubt 100 yrs ago people would have been able to imagine the leaps we have made in technology so who knows what the next few hundred years will bring? And with so many stars and such potential for life in the universe you would have to assume there are more advanced lifeforms than us, who knows what their capabilites are. Many of the things that seemed improbable or even impossible years ago have come to fruition

This subject came up last year and there was a poster on here (Leeblue, was it you?) that said they believed we were the only intelligent beings in the universe despite the laws of probability and the sheer amount of stars and planets out there.

It's the kind of closed mind attitude that you can't really debate with because, in my opinion, the case is so one sided it can't really be debated in the first place.

Consider this.......

The best estimates suggest that there are at least 70 thousand million million million (70 sextillion or 7 × 1022) stars in the Universe. The Universe probably contains more than 100 thousand million (100 billion or 1011) galaxies.

Still think we're alone?

This subject came up last year and there was a poster on here (Leeblue, was it you?) that said they believed we were the only intelligent beings in the universe despite the laws of probability and the sheer amount of stars and planets out there.

It's the kind of closed mind attitude that you can't really debate with because, in my opinion, the case is so one sided it can't really be debated in the first place.

Consider this.......

The best estimates suggest that there are at least 70 thousand million million million (70 sextillion or 7 × 1022) stars in the Universe. The Universe probably contains more than 100 thousand million (100 billion or 1011) galaxies.

Still think we're alone?

There is no way you could be sober when you wrote that.

A great programme, though I missed the first bit. It is amazing that the Voyager crafts are still broadcasting after all these years, and has got so far away from the Earth. Those that saw Star Trek - The Motion Picture will know what will happen when they return in a few hundred years time.

The beeb recently showed the opening episode of Carl Sagan's Cosmos. It would be interesting to see the whole series again.

Personally, I believe there must be life out there somewhere. But as others have posted, we are unlikely to meet them because of the distances involved.

As a great man once wrote:

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”

Back