• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Vulcan

Pretty much my favourite military plane of all time. Saw them donkeys years ago doing manoeuvres in Lincolnshire while still in active service. If you ever have a chance to read the full story of the Falklands bomb run I'd recommend it. The logistics were incredible. This was a plane well past its sell by date, effectively on the point of being decommissioned.

Point of order. I thought the real issue was concern over flying hours. Well past what it should be for the frame which is I think why the one at the airport can't take off though it is certainly capable of doing so (or was before the overhaul). I assume if it taxied it is capable again.

If you get a chance to see it this year do so it is majestic. Videos can't do it justice but there are some good ones out there.

Still have memories as a youngster of seeing this at the Southend airshow. The noise was incredible.

Also seem to recall Concorde being involved at some stage doing slow and high speed passes but this may be the old memory playing tricks on me :cricko:

Still have memories as a youngster of seeing this at the Southend airshow. The noise was incredible.

Also seem to recall Concorde being involved at some stage doing slow and high speed passes but this may be the old memory playing tricks on me :cricko:

Didn't know the Vulcan was that old :smile:

Your memory is not playing tricks with you. Concorde turned up three times, 1986, 1987 and 1988, I saw it each time. Extract from Southend Timeline below http://www.southendtimeline.com/southendairshow.htm

The first annual seafront airshow took to the sky's on Monday 26th May 1986 as the Grand Finale of the Spring Festival. This was the only year that there was a fee charged to enter the cordoned off display area from Shorefields Road to the Three Shells. Adults were charged £3 whilst children aged 3-16 were £1. To stop people cheating the entrance fee 8ft high scaffolding covered with nylon netting was erected. The star of the was without doubt the double pass by Concorde carrying 150 passengers whilst on its way back from a trip round the Bay of Biscay from Heathrow.
Concorde returned for the 1987 show again making a double pass whilst returning to Heathrow on a Bay of Biscay pleasure flight, for the final year of Concorde's airshow appearance in 1988 British Airways arranged a special flight just to take pail in the Southend Airshow this time she made three passes. This year also saw the first commercial sponsor in the shape of American Beer Budweiser. The company sold 500,000 drinks throughout the day, this was made of 20,000 pints and a staggering 480,000 soft drinks 1p from each drink sold was donated to charity a commendable £5000.

Saw one in the late 80s,at Exeter airshow.."Brill"....An iconic British plane.Seen loads of our planes...lanc,spit,hurri,harrier,concord,red arrows..would like to see flying, a mosquito(not the one that bites).

Just to be clear, it retired from military service years ago. It has been restored and flown at airshows etc for the last few years. The problem is funding. Most of the backers have pulled out because it is so expensive to keep in the sky, and so it has effectively been grounded.

It's not just the funding that's the issue. They haven't got too many engines left and not enough spare parts to keep nicking off other Vulcan gate guards.

It's such a shame, a truly amazing aircraft which I have only seen display once at Waddington Air Show in 09 when it did its first ever display with a Lancaster which was a great sight.

You're probably right Pubey. We should have gone down. One year at the Airshow (when we still did one), we watched it off shore on a boat. The Tornado GR4(?) was very loud on a low level pass of the seafront.

Remember one year the Tornado came almost unannounced low and at full pelt due south just east of the Cliffs Pavilion. The ground shook was no metaphor that day.

It's not just the funding that's the issue. They haven't got too many engines left and not enough spare parts to keep nicking off other Vulcan gate guards.

It's such a shame, a truly amazing aircraft which I have only seen display once at Waddington Air Show in 09 when it did its first ever display with a Lancaster which was a great sight.

It is the funding. With funding they'd be able to afford to manufacture their own spare parts, and keep the engines serviceable in the same way other classic aircraft are maintained. The problem is with the Vulcan the costs are so much more.

Remember one year the Tornado came almost unannounced low and at full pelt due south just east of the Cliffs Pavilion. The ground shook was no metaphor that day.

Always loved the Tornadoes, ex in laws lived on their test flight path out of RAF Leeming and the house was a marker for them so got really used to seeing them flying by really low.

Wino posted a video of the Vulcan flying over the Lakes yesterday, I'll see if I can find it and post it here, she's a majestic beast and it's a real shame she'll be grounded soon.

*EDIT* Don't know if this will work for everyone as it's on FB, maybe someone clever can make it visible to all? [video]https://www.facebook.com/andrea.maley1/videos/1010572575620208/?pnref=story[/video]

Because I felt a bit bad about it underwhelming me, I found this on U Tube which was very impressive and happened in May 2015
[video=youtube;mmdjJ5M1fv8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmdjJ5M1fv8[/video]

Back