• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Vulcan

No, but I dont live far from it, whats it doing?

Doing a fly over. Will be retiring from service this summer so doing a tour of the uk this weekend. Until you've seen a Vulcan in the air, you've seen nothing. It's a truly amazing sight

Doing a fly over. Will be retiring from service this summer so doing a tour of the uk this weekend. Until you've seen a Vulcan in the air, you've seen nothing. It's a truly amazing sight

I'd say a Lightning comes pretty close, though they're even rarer than Vulcans now :(

Just to be clear, it retired from military service years ago. It has been restored and flown at airshows etc for the last few years. The problem is funding. Most of the backers have pulled out because it is so expensive to keep in the sky, and so it has effectively been grounded.

Just to be clear, it retired from military service years ago. It has been restored and flown at airshows etc for the last few years. The problem is funding. Most of the backers have pulled out because it is so expensive to keep in the sky, and so it has effectively been grounded.

Yes that's correct. When I said service, I meant flying service in general. It needs a billionaire who loves the Vulcan to be intersted

Maybe I should have dropped in at the airport. My neighbour and I watched it from our back garden (we're only 5 mins from the airport) and we were a bit underwhelmed. Not sure what I was expecting but one pass and that was that and not that noisy. Perhaps EasyJet have deadened our senses a bit.

Maybe I should have dropped in at the airport. My neighbour and I watched it from our back garden (we're only 5 mins from the airport) and we were a bit underwhelmed. Not sure what I was expecting but one pass and that was that and not that noisy. Perhaps EasyJet have deadened our senses a bit.

You really need to see it do a few banked turns to really hear it and to see how ominous and scary it is. Fantastic airplane.

Gutted I missed it actually, got caught up in doing some proof reading and forgot all about it. I really hope there's some decent footage somewhere. Such a shame she's being "retired".

It did a restricted flat due to the weather. Most other locations got a full powered steep climb with a wing over turn but the cloud level was too low here. A couple of pics I took from today..

New_1_DSCF2202_zpssosvjojm.jpg

New_1_DSCF2205_zpsvqjgikri.jpg

New_1_DSCF2207_zpsror8ff4l.jpg

New_1_DSCF2210_zps5wwgcdzu.jpg

You really need to see it do a few banked turns to really hear it and to see how ominous and scary it is. Fantastic airplane.

You're probably right Pubey. We should have gone down. One year at the Airshow (when we still did one), we watched it off shore on a boat. The Tornado GR4(?) was very loud on a low level pass of the seafront.

Growing up in Eastwood we'd often give the Airshow a miss purely because the Vulcan used to 'warm up' for the fly-by over the seafront by doing two or three laps of the area by the airport. It was such a treat to see this magnificant aircraft and it's a real shame that, like Concorde, money can't be found to keep one or two up in the air.

Back