• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I would first like to say that in no way am i criticising the Blue Voice, i would like to make a few points and ask a few questions.

My reasoning behind this thread has come about from watching last nights Palace v Cardiff game and the atmosphere created initially by the Cardiff fans but more importantly by the Palace fans and in particular the group behind the goal called the 'fanatics'. They were absolutely brilliant and didnt stop singing and chanting all game and not only did it sound great on tv but you got a sense that it gave the whole ground a lift and a buzz and at times the whole stand behind the goal was up on their feet as one. A friend who goes to Palace says that they are like that every game.

So it got me thinking about our own fanatics, the Blue Voice. I have read many comments on here particularly this season about the atmosphere in the ground the lack of noise and singing and then i thought, isnt this why the Blue Voice were set up? isnt this why they have there own section? and in answering my own question i assumed yes.

You can argue that the atmosphere isnt great in the East Stand, for what its worth this is where is sit and i love a sing song, but most in this stand dont or arent as vocal and behind the goal in the South, its an odd stand being small and on two levels. Ive said for years that they should just open the upper and get as many people in there as they can, neither levels are ever full normally.

Our away support although often samll in numbers is normally very good and vocal and in particular Scott and his band of merry men should be congratulated. Why is it away at Donnie few years back at 5-0 down do we sing non stop, yet at home 3-0 up and second in the league barley anything. Unfortunately and again im not being over critical but the vibes on here re the Blue Voice are more often negative, abuse of players, drinking in the seats etc.

So

Is the Blue Voice still the same Blue Voice set up a few years back?
Why is there such a lack of singing and vocal support from this area?
Has it become just an area that the younger fans congregate in?
Should TBV consider relocating maybe behind the goal, South Upper? Guessing the North bank will never be an option.
What can be done to improve the general atmosphere in the ground, particularly in this thus far successful season.

Up th blues.

you like a sing song so why not move to W for a match or two. Fans need to take repsonsibility themselves for the atmosphere and stop looking to others all of the time .
As others have mentioned there are fewer and fewer of us in W (or thats how it feels) , the average age is plumeting (or am I getting old ?) and thsoe there seem less inclined to sing IMO.

I have a loudish voice , I used to get embarressed trying to start a chant , but it doesn't bother me now, even though I embarass my son. Does everyone always join in , no they don't but like many others I don't then give up. As you have said, and I agree we CAN make a difference. Its just about putting that little bit extra EFFORT in. Unfortunatey I have not been to the last two matches, but , Yes it is diffficult singing when what is on the pitch is truely uninspiring , but its down to us to make the difference.

When its crap don't get depressive, get angry, and start singing for our team !

I honestly believe that just an extra 20 'singers' in W could make all the difference.

re the drinking question, maybe I am wrong but the only thread on here on drinking was West stand, but not W

Solution - move what was TBV to the East blues which is next to the away fans and therefore creating a better atmosphere and more banter with the away fans. Also more people would be inclined to relocate to East blues as the view is far better than W block in the West stand. The Corporate ticket holders currently in East blues can then relocate to W block!!! I do not believe that this will cause the club any issue as I do not believe any Season Ticket holders are in East blue. Not sure what the acoustics are like in the East as I do not believe it has ever been tested through lack of singing.

Here is my view - people change!!

Mates I use to go with get older they drift out of football then the younger kids come through and they need teaching also to blame is football regulations some grounds dont allow drums things like you cant have flares!

Think of the atmosphere in Europe thats all because there is passion there and free will to do what you like.

Things will get better and I do feel some of the blame is on W block especialy us up the front have become too relax smiffy these days just stands there he dont play the drum any more either - now thats no criticisim but we have all including me become lax about supporting the team.

We need better organisation and somebody to lead it from the front - smiffy has a young family and things to look out for in his life - we need somebody to drive the passion forward and organise - I would do it but I am by far not the popular choice.

I have had a couple of matches in the blue voice section this season and have enjoyed it greatly, some real passion and enthusiasm down there (we normally go in family west) my 15 year old son loves it too (loves away days too), IMO without the blue voice section the atmos would be even worse carry on the support boys i look forward to our next visit.

Here is my view - people change!!

Mates I use to go with get older they drift out of football then the younger kids come through and they need teaching also to blame is football regulations some grounds dont allow drums things like you cant have flares!

Think of the atmosphere in Europe thats all because there is passion there and free will to do what you like.

Things will get better and I do feel some of the blame is on W block especialy us up the front have become too relax smiffy these days just stands there he dont play the drum any more either - now thats no criticisim but we have all including me become lax about supporting the team.

We need better organisation and somebody to lead it from the front - smiffy has a young family and things to look out for in his life - we need somebody to drive the passion forward and organise - I would do it but I am by far not the popular choice.

Oi. I don't just stand there. I am as vocal as ever. Just too old to be banging away on a drum these days!

Vocal support at home seems to have declined over the years since the 70's,80's and 90's anyway.It's gotten worse since the North Bank has no longer been our end. I say re form the PAK and lets take it back by force !!!!!!!!

Ok, I sit in the West Stand next to the ex blue voice. I used to join in when they sang, but now with the influx of some younger people I do not really want to be shouting abuse like 'who the flucking hell are you' and 'you fat bstrd' etc etc rather than supporting my team.

I seem to remember a few years back (more than I would like to admit to) Arsenal were building a new stand. To make up for the lack of fans in that area of the ground, not only did they have painted faces on the hordings covering the building site, but also they played recordings of their fans singing / cheering to generate an atmosphere.

Perhaps very occasionaly during matches we could have an upbeat type of atmosphere (crowd noise) / singing / cheering played over the tannoy system? What about the club having paid for or more mature cheer leaders before the game and at half time (a la Crystal Palace) instead of the ultra young girls dancing badly (sorry girls I do appreciate that you try hard) at half time making you feel like a perve if you dare to watch them!

Last edited:
Point one .. correct, we don't have enough vocal fans full stop, so be it

Point two .. you disrespectful little scroat !!!

No disrespect intended. When I said 'old gits' I meant the largely older people who come to moan for 90 minutes about every little mistake made (like the chap sat behind me in block S at the Dagenham game), not all older fans in general. I respect fans who have supported the club for 40 or 50 years or even more, it's just that it tends to be younger fans who want to make noise and generate atmoshpere.

Am confused.
TBV sound like they organise(d) vocal support in The West. I applaud that..but why?
I am older and nobody had to organise the vocal support from The North Bank or the West Bank. So why is it required now?
Seating as opposed to terracing?
The block next to the away fans in the North Bank corner of the West has had unorganised vocals since the North Bank was given to opposing fans.

Oi. I don't just stand there. I am as vocal as ever. Just too old to be banging away on a drum these days!

Yeah, I can vouch for that, mostly in my right ear!

I have said this on several threads this year, that the passion seems to have gone from W. The age profile has definitely changed to much younger than in recent seasons.

I find that we can get chants started in W now but they just seem to die almost straight away and when I turn round to look behind it is just a sea of blank faces looking back.
I do have a bit of a theory about why W has quietened down and that is it was originally set up for TBV, TBV found that conducive to getting the atmosphere up it was good to have an area where standing was more tolerated and as seats were not sold and allocated you could pretty much choose who you are with and where you watch from. I think that freedom has attracted people to W other than for its original purpose of being home for TBV and they don't sing so much, that's the only reason I can think for the blank faces.

Without trying to start a them and us thing perhaps it would be better to say to people if you don't want to join in with what's left of TBV in W then leave W to those who do, however, if you want the freedoms enjoyed/tolerated in W then damn well join in!!!

Solution - move what was TBV to the East blues which is next to the away fans and therefore creating a better atmosphere and more banter with the away fans. Also more people would be inclined to relocate to East blues as the view is far better than W block in the West stand. The Corporate ticket holders currently in East blues can then relocate to W block!!! I do not believe that this will cause the club any issue as I do not believe any Season Ticket holders are in East blue. Not sure what the acoustics are like in the East as I do not believe it has ever been tested through lack of singing.

Ihave to disagree as I am a sth, along with the people I go with, in the east blues and have been for the last 6 years

Yeah, I can vouch for that, mostly in my right ear!

I have said this on several threads this year, that the passion seems to have gone from W. The age profile has definitely changed to much younger than in recent seasons.

I find that we can get chants started in W now but they just seem to die almost straight away and when I turn round to look behind it is just a sea of blank faces looking back.
I do have a bit of a theory about why W has quietened down and that is it was originally set up for TBV, TBV found that conducive to getting the atmosphere up it was good to have an area where standing was more tolerated and as seats were not sold and allocated you could pretty much choose who you are with and where you watch from. I think that freedom has attracted people to W other than for its original purpose of being home for TBV and they don't sing so much, that's the only reason I can think for the blank faces.

Without trying to start a them and us thing perhaps it would be better to say to people if you don't want to join in with what's left of TBV in W then leave W to those who do, however, if you want the freedoms enjoyed/tolerated in W then damn well join in!!!

Who are you to tell people where and where not to sit?

I dont alway join in and last few weeks havent been able to due to being ill, so should I of left the W block??

its a rather simple answer to why its gone flat and that is because the football has been **** even though we been winning

the start of this thread palace and Cardiff gamne last night was brought up but the differecne is that was a cup semi final of cause the fans would be up for it same as when we have large numbers or a big game

Personally, i would love to give the south stand or even just the south lower back to the away surporters and SUFC have the North Bank for our surporters, i sat in the north west part of the stand with the west spam during the friendly with my boy, until i decided it was a good time to leave, but apart from that i thought the view was good, infact i liked it alot, the North stand has always had very good acustices, from back in the day. (lol).

Who are you to tell people where and where not to sit?

I dont alway join in and last few weeks havent been able to due to being ill, so should I of left the W block??

its a rather simple answer to why its gone flat and that is because the football has been **** even though we been winning

the start of this thread palace and Cardiff gamne last night was brought up but the differecne is that was a cup semi final of cause the fans would be up for it same as when we have large numbers or a big game

Wouldn't presume to tell anyone what to do, just giving my theory as to what's changed.

Whether it changes back is up to whether or not people want it to, if they don't then it won't, simple as.

The lads that put TBV together gave it a good go with a lot of passion, if it's now to whither then I think that's a shame but they can all hold their heads high and say they gave it their best shot and for that I think they deserve a pat on the back.

Whatever happens I'll still be there giving it my best whenever I can, whatever others do is down to them, as ever.

No point in moving to the South stand as the sound made doesn't travel .When a few do get going nobody in the west can hear them and you often get two different songs being sung instead!!.Very hard to get anything going when one stand hasn't a clue when or what the other is singing.One positive thing I have noticed is the DRUMMER who occasionally does start BANGING at the right time corner/near miss and actually does get many people along the whole West stand clapping and joining in with "Southend"(MISS)or "Blues" chant(CORNER).If he could do this every time might make a big difference.

Back