• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not a fan of the "We are W block, we'll sing on our own", doesn't exactly promote the idea of getting people in other areas to join in. I sit in block V very close to the isle between the blocks and our row and those around me all are very vocal but everyone pretty much goes silent when this starts ringing out. Until we get the new stadium I doubt we'll ever be able to get much of an atmosphere going with the limited amount of areas that we have available for a proper singing section and the reluctance from block U onwards to join in.

edit- big fan of everything else you're trying to achieve though of course, use to stand in there when we called it the F block.

My views ....... for what they're worth .............:unsure:

Personally I hate (yes, hate) this modern idea of having the vocal home support next to the away fans - you see it at a number of grounds and I don't think it works.

Agree with the idea of swopping North and South stand allocations and would love to see the seats come out of the North Bank (or part of it) at the same time.

And sometimes I think some fans need to be reminded that there used to be a large element of each set of fans "signing to each other" - that is, taking turns. Not always - but that does help with the atmosphere. Too many times now, there is too much effort in trying to sing over the top of the other group of fans.

And I agree with another poster above - I won't join in chants that involve swearing or simply being abusive. Much of the humour of the past has been replaced by unpleasantness.

Otherwise, it is rare for me to come home without being a little hoarse ............... :slurp:

And whilst I am ranting - here is another modern element that I dislike - ground announcers and unbelievably loud music.

I do not need some knob with a microphone telling me "to get behind my team" at 2:59 pm - I would rather he goes and sticks his head down the loo.

And how can you generate some pre-match atmosphere when the music is so loud that it drowns out the fans - Roots Hall is not as bad as Hull for example where you are almost "forced" down to the catering area to escape the din.

And Leeds used to play goals and crowd noises just before the game to try to get their fans going - not sure it worked ...... but I do remember the knob with the microphone talking about pizza take-away during the half time interval ........ such was their desire to vacuum up as much sponsorship as possible whether the fans like it ....... or not ........

During the Championship season the atmosphere was great, even 2 seasons after that atmosphere on night games was great. But Saturday games never get going in my opinion and this has nothing to do with the Blue Voice.
There are many ways where we could improve the atmosphere at Roots Hall, putting the away fans in the Blue and Yellow of the East stand? And giving us the North stand could be one idea, it isn't as if the east stand is the best stand in the stadium?

Some great ideas and it would be great to see home fans return to the North Bank, but lets not forget the situation from the club's point of view. It is perfectly segregated (separate entrance, enclosed stand) from us, and (as present) no alternatives can match this, and the club do not want to spend any money revamping Roots Hall with the plans for Fossetts Farm going ahead. For the time being, it is probably better to put up with declining levels of support in block W and focus on the future of TBV at Fossetts Farm.

Some great ideas and it would be great to see home fans return to the North Bank, but lets not forget the situation from the club's point of view. It is perfectly segregated (separate entrance, enclosed stand) from us, and (as present) no alternatives can match this, and the club do not want to spend any money revamping Roots Hall with the plans for Fossetts Farm going ahead. For the time being, it is probably better to put up with declining levels of support in block W and focus on the future of TBV at Fossetts Farm.

Unfortunately that's the way I see it mate. Let's all make a bit more effort vocally at the next home game and until the season end. Hopefully we'll be rewarded with promotion back to league one. And a chance to renew our friendships with Col Ewe and Orient...

Back