• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It will be good to see how he does against a no nonsense 30 year old centre half . Hopefully it's the making of him. I'm not a fan of the under 23 system . By that age you should either be in the first team or playing on loan , not nearly non contact academy games.

Promising young lad that Wabo. I am sure CP has looked at the situation and has come to believe that Wabo will benefit, and ultimately the team, from a loan move. Eyes on next season I would suggest. Good luck to the fella and I hope he does very well at Ebbsfleet.

Promising young lad that Wabo. I am sure CP has looked at the situation and has come to believe that Wabo will benefit, and ultimately the team, from a loan move. Eyes on next season I would suggest. Good luck to the fella and I hope he does very well at Ebbsfleet.
I fully agree, it will benefit him more than playing Under23s. need a few more to go out on loan also .

I'm not sure how much I buy the advantages of being shipped out on loan.

I can see the positives of playing a bit of first team football, but doesn't this add more pressure on Norm than if he stayed with us. I see it that he can't win either way here. If he does well then it's kind of to be expected and if he fails, then it could mess his career up.

Also, what do Southend United learn from this. That he can play at National League level?

If a player has what it takes to be on the fringes of our 1st team, then we will learn more about him by getting him game time with us. Plus, he is playing alongside better quality players. An example being having Coxy working with him and creating chances for him, rather than players a level or two lower.

I can see how a loan player benefits the receiving club, but not sure how much it benefits the parent club.

Take, for example, the players we've had on loan here. With the possible exception of Sam McQueen, who hardly got a game anyway, the others haven't gone back to their parent club and suddenly started playing first team football. They've generally been shipped out on loan again.

If we are ever going to find out if Norm could be part of our ongoing plans, then putting him into maybe the last 5 or 6 games this season here and having him continue to train with our 1st team, in my view, is the better move.

I'm not sure how much I buy the advantages of being shipped out on loan.

I can see the positives of playing a bit of first team football, but doesn't this add more pressure on Norm than if he stayed with us. I see it that he can't win either way here. If he does well then it's kind of to be expected and if he fails, then it could mess his career up.

Also, what do Southend United learn from this. That he can play at National League level?

If a player has what it takes to be on the fringes of our 1st team, then we will learn more about him by getting him game time with us. Plus, he is playing alongside better quality players. An example being having Coxy working with him and creating chances for him, rather than players a level or two lower.

I can see how a loan player benefits the receiving club, but not sure how much it benefits the parent club.

Take, for example, the players we've had on loan here. With the possible exception of Sam McQueen, who hardly got a game anyway, the others haven't gone back to their parent club and suddenly started playing first team football. They've generally been shipped out on loan again.

If we are ever going to find out if Norm could be part of our ongoing plans, then putting him into maybe the last 5 or 6 games this season here and having him continue to train with our 1st team, in my view, is the better move.

I'm sure it benefits some and maybe not others. Ultimately a lot of it is down to the individual player and how much they want to make of the opportunity. Assombalonga was handled very well, loaned out to progressively higher clubs, and proved his worth. It may only be the National League in some eyes, but it will be a tough gig, and if his head and heart are right, he can learn a great deal. what he needs is regular, challenging football, where he can test himself, prove himself and return to us with some experience to add to his potential.

Ebbsfleet have the likes of Febian Brandy, Danny Kedwell and Aaron Maclean. I am sure they have a lot to pass on to Norman too.

Good move for him as this will give him games and we can see if he can score goals at that level.

Fair comment 'rab'.

I think I'd feel more heartened by it all if I couldn't see a way for Norm to get in our side at the moment. Like, for example, if we had Eastwood and Goater firing on all cylinders upfront, but frankly if Lapoodle and some youngster on loan from Spurs are the current incumbents then I think we are missing a trick by not trying our own.

A good move, in my opinion, and something we didn't do enough of under Brown and which may have cost some their professional careers. A young football player such as Wabo, needs to be playing to get the necessary experience.

If he comes back in better shape/form, as with Michael Kightly going to Grays, we could have a decent prospect on our hands.

Fair comment 'rab'.

I think I'd feel more heartened by it all if I couldn't see a way for Norm to get in our side at the moment. Like, for example, if we had Eastwood and Goater firing on all cylinders upfront, but frankly if Lapoodle and some youngster on loan from Spurs are the current incumbents then I think we are missing a trick by not trying our own.

I think most of us feel the same way. I just think CP needs to be supported in his decisions, which in this instance is probably with Ricky Duncan/Maher input, and I am sure he has seen enough to be of the mind that a loan will be the best way forward.

As, for our current forwards, it appears they did not cover themselves in glory against Walsall but then very few of the side did. Under CP we have scored our fair share of goals and even though the strikers have not got many, their play has allowed others to join in and contribute. I am in a minority when I say that I believe Ladapo will prove his worth. Just something about him even though for his age he appears green and needs working on. We do get late developers and for me he is one.

As is absolutely crystal clear, we are not going to get many goals from the current 'strike force'. That's evident from their past record and that is not going to change. Wabo is an unknown quantity who might or might not make it but at least he has the potential to solve the goalscoring drought. The others clearly do not and in my view it would have been a good idea to give him some game time to see how he shapes up. What will not be forgiven is the persistence in selecting players who clearly are not up to it for one reason or another.

The number of goals we're going to get from the current strike force isn't the issue here - the question is whether Wabo is good enough to play at league 1 level. Our new manager will live or die by the decisions he makes and the results he gets, so at this stage of his tenure if he decides that one kid is good enough (Yearwood) and another is better off on loan (Wabo) we need to back him on that. Equally Wabo is NOT an unknown quantity - he's been in and around the first team for most of the season so our coaching staff (some of whom remain from the Brown era) have had plenty of time to assess his worth.

Then there's Fortune & Cox - much maligned in my view. I don't see many better players in league 1 than Cox and I think we're lucky to have him. He's not banging them in left, right and centre - but no player was going to do that under PB as the team wasn't set up with enough fluidity to allow that to happen. I've heard "we need a goalscorer" throughout Brown's period in charge. There's an argument we didn't (as we did pretty well overall anyway) and there's a second argument that no-one in a Brown team is going to bang 20 a season as his set up doesn't allow it - Cox isn't the only player to suffer.

And then there's Robinson. Agree that every time I've seen him in a blues shirt I've been disappointed. But that player has scored many goals in the Championship so there's some talent in there somewhere. Given that Brown had marginalised him and Powell was (seemingly) quick to do the same, I rather suspect that there are issues off the field or with training.

Unused sub! I really hope this isn’t one of those loan spells.

Unused sub! I really hope this isn’t one of those loan spells.

He only joined a couple of days ago, it's always unlikely you'll play in your first week because the rest of the team won't have a clue how you want the ball.

He only joined a couple of days ago, it's always unlikely you'll play in your first week because the rest of the team won't have a clue how you want the ball.

I hope you’re right, he needs to get game time otherwise he might as well have stayed here.

I think we have an unused sub and hes been with us a bit longer than 2 days, give the kid a break 2 days probably hasnt even trained with the rest of the squad yet to get to know them or for them to get to know him.

I think we have an unused sub and hes been with us a bit longer than 2 days, give the kid a break 2 days probably hasnt even trained with the rest of the squad yet to get to know them or for them to get to know him.

At no point was there any criticism towards Wabo. I was merely saying I hope this isn’t the start of an array of unused sub appearances. I want him to get lots of game time and come back and be ready to try and break into our first team.

Finally got some game time today, granted not much, he came on as a sub in the 83rd minute.

Finally got some game time today, granted not much, he came on as a sub in the 83rd minute.

Really hope he gets more in the coming week otherwise he may as well have stayed with us.

Back