• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wabo

I feel for this kid I really do. He’s had huge pressure heaped on him for what seems like ages now and an entire thread dedicated to him where he has had his attitude and popularity questioned!!!

From what I’ve seen he looks a talent and also looks to be very popular with his team mates...everyone has a different opinion on him and I get that but one indisputable fact is, whether it be with the first team or on loan he hasn’t had great opportunities....and opportunity is king in football.

You’d have to question some of the loan moves and how they were arranged and the stipulations in place for the duration of them....to me, going on loan needs to have some assurances of game time or what’s the point?

Creating your own opportunity is king, not just in football but in life.

Dru Yearwood is 18 years old, Elvis is twenty , both made it fairly quickly into the first team and maybe without so many loan out opportunities. This may suggest Norman isn't up to it, at least yet and maybe it's more difficult for a youngster to break through/ develop as a striker?

Both have been given far more chances to prove themselves in the first team than Wabo. I know people say but we don’t seem him train etc etc. I just never see the harm in giving him the odd 20/30 minutes here and there. Saturdays game would’ve been perfect!

I think this is one that will come back and bite us but I think it might be the release that he needs to give him the boot ala Kightly.

Chris Powell said at the recent Q&A that he told Wabo at the end of last season to come back and give him something to think about. Wabo responded by coming back in poor physical condition. The writing has been on the wall for him ever since. If a young player on the cusp of a first-team breakthrough can't even be bothered to look after himself for six weeks, you just know he won't make it.

As others have said, Powell is not afraid to play young players, but he won't play them if they're not ready or not good enough. Neither should he.

Chris Powell said at the recent Q&A that he told Wabo at the end of last season to come back and give him something to think about. Wabo responded by coming back in poor physical condition. The writing has been on the wall for him ever since. If a young player on the cusp of a first-team breakthrough can't even be bothered to look after himself for six weeks, you just know he won't make it.

As others have said, Powell is not afraid to play young players, but he won't play them if they're not ready or not good enough. Neither should he.

I’d say his hand was more forced into playing the young players than choosing too. He’s had plenty of opportunities to give the very impressive Hutchinson a good run out but chosen to give him a couple of minutes on Saturday when he could’ve had a lot longer.

I’d say his hand was more forced into playing the young players than choosing too. He’s had plenty of opportunities to give the very impressive Hutchinson a good run out but chosen to give him a couple of minutes on Saturday when he could’ve had a lot longer.

Hutchinson has played in three checkatrade games. If you went to Colchester, you will have seen that, based on that display, he is not ready for regular first-team football.

Powell has been behind Yearwood, a 17-year-old, from day one and he has thrived, proving that he won't discriminate on age. He's also given Elvis a lot of football, partly due to injuries of course but he's not scared to play him.

The fact is most players are in the U23s for a reason. They are developing, and introducing them to first team football too soon can harm that development.

Hutchinson has played in three checkatrade games. If you went to Colchester, you will have seen that, based on that display, he is not ready for regular first-team football.

Powell has been behind Yearwood, a 17-year-old, from day one and he has thrived, proving that he won't discriminate on age. He's also given Elvis a lot of football, partly due to injuries of course but he's not scared to play him.

The fact is most players are in the U23s for a reason. They are developing, and introducing them to first team football too soon can harm that development.
Norman is 21 hes not a kid he should be ready just like the 2 others still playing in the under 23s.

My issue, as mentioned before, is not the fact that youngsters aren't being tried, it's the fact that they aren't always our youngsters.

In recent years we've had loan players in from different clubs. All given game time as substitutes. Most have been sent back and in some cases, have been a major disappointment here.

Our youngsters, Dru and Elvis excepted, are getting minimal game time, despite performing well at the highest level below 1st team that we have available.

I'd just like us to utilise our own system, rather than the loan system.

Hutchinson has played in three checkatrade games. If you went to Colchester, you will have seen that, based on that display, he is not ready for regular first-team football

I’m not disagreeing with this post in any way but all I would say is I was at the colchester game and on the night you could easily say that Kightly, Hendrie, McLaughlen, Robinson and McCoulsky were also not ready for regular first team football!! The younger players that night were well and truly hung out to dry by the lads that should’ve been leading the way....

Interesting there is no record of Powell saying this.

https://www.shrimperstrust.co.uk/home.asp?page_id=813

It only takes a weekend of caning it for me to end in poor physical condition.

In response to post #169, I was at that meeting and heard SCP make that comment about Wabo.
Personally I was disappointed to hear this as I had hoped that Wabo would be included in the match days squads this season and that we would see how he coped with playing at a higher level than previously.

Seeing the name of Jason Williams got me wondering where he is.

He is on his 4th club since leaving us 18 months ago , the 8th club he has been at including loans (although he didn't play a game at concord
15 in 32 last season (Bishops Stortford and Kingstonian)
4 in 15 for Whitehawk

Scored Whitehawks 1 in their 9-1 fa cup drubbing by Billericay last month
Subbed on 54 in their 2-3 defeat to Harlow on 27th in which our own Emile Acquah scored the winner

don't you love google .....

He’s at Hemel Hempstead, scored yesterday in a 2-1 defeat.

Back