• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Waddock to be considered for the job?

I just can’t see it being Waddock... yet! For me, it’s a stop gap while we work around whatever issues there are preventing us announcing a new manager (including that we haven’t found one yet, or that there are negotiations still underway with a current club or the apparent incoming manager.)

If Waddock gets the team playing winning, Champagne football, the conversation potentially becomes a different one.

Amazed that people think Ron will be looking for the cheap route. He’s not done that before. And he’s smart enough to know that cheap will cost him more in the long run. Curious if anyone actually does really disagree on that point and happy to be corrected?

It's not the manager it's the players that want a kick up the backside, if Waddock can do it so well and good!!

Imagine being managerless, bottom of the league with ZERO points and instead of hiring a club legend, the guy who the fans all want you hire a bloke who got fired from his last job because he got a non-league club relegated to an even ****ter league.

Could never be my club.. ?

If Gary Waddock gets the job full time we need to get over it and stop worrying about the manager. Because that will prove there are some much more serious issues bubbling underneath us

I dare say Bournmouth fans were unhappy when Bond recommended one of his coaches for the job....Eddie Howe.

At least Waddock ticks the anyone but Bond box.

In all honesty, why do we feel the need to kick the man? he hasn't even had one game to give us a taster of his philosophy yet. It may be the wrong appointment for us, but you know what, he could do a good job. His biggest handicap will always be that he isn't Adam Barrett or Tilly!

Is Chris having a laugh?! Surely Ron has told him to spin this to keep people off the scent with regards his real target ..

He's said he is going to play a different style of football. I'll be interested to see what it is.

Maybe he didn't agree with Bonds style of play

I dare say Bournmouth fans were unhappy when Bond recommended one of his coaches for the job....Eddie Howe.

At least Waddock ticks the anyone but Bond box.
Waddock is an experienced manager allegedly, can’t compare. I don’t think anyone seriously thought he was going to be in the running did they? On the plus side he’s got 2 promotions on his CV and he did keep QPR up initially. However that was a while ago.

Has a better win percentage than Sol Campbell! (I'm stirring - wouldn't like Waddock at all)

In all honesty, why do we feel the need to kick the man? he hasn't even had one game to give us a taster of his philosophy yet. It may be the wrong appointment for us, but you know what, he could do a good job. His biggest handicap will always be that he isn't Adam Barrett or Tilly!

You’re only as good as your las job right? His last job he got a team that previously finished in the playoffs two seasons in a row relegated from the conference.. and that’s the man who is going to save us from the drop in league one?

I think a lot will depend on this next game against Fleetwood. Win and win in a positive manor, then not only does it buy RM more time. It also gets us up and running and creates another extended opportunity for NW, If he can get us 9 points out of the next 4 games then why not until at least Christmas. I'm sure we can all agree. that now our main priority for this season is to make sure as soon as possible that we stay in this division. He's not the answer long term, he's not an inspiring candidate. However, let the results from the next couple of games decide

While Waddock is not my choice, it is not his fault being put in this position.

I just feel everyone should take a deep breath and accept that the guy is a professional who will do his best in the circumstances.

I would reckon most on here have had to pick up the pieces from a failed colleague at work?

Might be our Mighty Shrimpers but it no different.

Amazed that people think Ron will be looking for the cheap route. He’s not done that before. And he’s smart enough to know that cheap will cost him more in the long run. Curious if anyone actually does really disagree on that point and happy to be corrected?
Well he’s never appointed a manager who was currently employed and therefore had to pay a fee. Not saying that’s cheap, but he certainly recognises that it makes sense to sign a manager who is out of a job.

Perhaps Ron is waiting to see if Nathan Jones becomes available very soon.

You’re only as good as your las job right? His last job he got a team that previously finished in the playoffs two seasons in a row relegated from the conference.. and that’s the man who is going to save us from the drop in league one?

Not necessarily. Completely depends on the circumstances, all we see is stats not the stuff going on behind the scenes. Factually, yes, Waddock was in the hot seat where a previously successful team was relegated while he was at the helm. Doesn't mean he is a bad coach or manager. If nothing else, he will have learnt from experience and he may know now what to avoid and how to turn things around.

I have one really comparable example - Tilly took over as caretaker, with no real experience, and had back to back promotions, in probably our most successful period for years, followed by a spectacular fall. His fault...?? Did he personally sanction to not pay the players for months...? No and no. And when he went to Lincoln, he was relegated again, and has been out of the professional game since then. Bad manager, or circumstances...??

Yet, he is still a club hero and SUFC fans favourite. When he took over, if I rightly recall, we were quickly hurtling towards non-league insignificance!! He was only welcomed because he was already one of ours, and you know what? That could have gone either way.

Not necessarily. Completely depends on the circumstances, all we see is stats not the stuff going on behind the scenes. Factually, yes, Waddock was in the hot seat where a previously successful team was relegated while he was at the helm. Doesn't mean he is a bad coach or manager. If nothing else, he will have learnt from experience and he may know now what to avoid and how to turn things around.

I have one really comparable example - Tilly took over as caretaker, with no real experience, and had back to back promotions, in probably our most successful period for years, followed by a spectacular fall. His fault...?? Did he personally sanction to not pay the players for months...? No and no. And when he went to Lincoln, he was relegated again, and has been out of the professional game since then. Bad manager, or circumstances...??

Yet, he is still a club hero and SUFC fans favourite. When he took over, if I rightly recall, we were quickly hurtling towards non-league insignificance!! He was only welcomed because he was already one of ours, and you know what? That could have gone either way.

The fact I care about is he took a much fancied team down last season in what in truth wasn’t a strong conference league.. no one else in the football league would give this bloke a chance, that I’m convinced about. Hiring him would do nothing to brighten the mood surrounding the club.

Back