• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wage rises outpaced by inflation for the fifth year running

If pay rises rose faster than prices it would be a step towards increased living standards.
LOL. Isn't that like chasing your own tail?

Also, the ASHE is a survey with flaws, especially because it only samples about 1% of the population. Drawing a strong conclusion on a 0.2% difference between ASHE and the CPI is probably inappropriate.

Obviously increasing expenses (in this case Wages & Salaries) will have no impact on the selling price of goods and services ....

The good news is that MPs will get 11% rise so "we are all in it together" still is true...........NOT!:omg:

Got to love the joyful British optimism.

Things will start getting better now but it will take time, man up and stop clinging to the hope that we are all doomed.

When exactly would you predict that living standards will be higher than pre-2008 (ie before the crash) levels? :unsure:

Im not an economist, but it will happen.

Boom and bust is hardly a new concept, the economy is improving and well continue to do so, and guess what in a decade or so it will all go to pot again.

I have no idea why people like yourself want to cling to the fact that times have been tough. We both lived through the 70's and 80's and those times were far worse than the last 5 years have been.

Im not an economist, but it will happen.

Agreed but the forecasts I've seen suggest that it might take another 10 years or so.

Boom and bust is hardly a new concept, the economy is improving and well continue to do so, and guess what in a decade or so it will all go to pot again.

I have no idea why people like yourself want to cling to the fact that times have been tough.
HTML:
We both lived through the 70's and 80's and those times were far worse than the last 5 years have been

Yes but we're the first generation that will see our childrens' standard of living turn out to be lower than our own.

Yes but we're the first generation that will see our childrens' standard of living turn out to be lower than our own.

So I grew up in a time where we had one TV in the house and no telephone (this being the 70's and 80's not the 1950's !). You got new toys at Christmas.

My kids have PC's/Ipads/ LCD TVs in their rooms and whilst not spoilt have so much more than I could dream of when I was their age.

Im not sure I agree their standard of living is lower than mine was at their age !

You also seem to be judging their future standard of living on what is in an article today, when the whole economic situation will change in 5 years.

Chin up.

So I grew up in a time where we had one TV in the house and no telephone (this being the 70's and 80's not the 1950's !). You got new toys at Christmas.

My kids have PC's/Ipads/ LCD TVs in their rooms and whilst not spoilt have so much more than I could dream of when I was their age.

Im not sure I agree their standard of living is lower than mine was at their age !

You also seem to be judging their future standard of living on what is in an article today, when the whole economic situation will change in 5 years.

Chin up.

Will they have a permanent job (or work) in the future though?

I certainly hope they do, as will mine.

Actually,(believe it or not), usually I'm an optimist.:winking:

Will they have a permanent job (or work) in the future though?

I certainly hope they do, as will mine.

Actually,(believe it or not), usually I'm an optimist.:winking:

Yes Im sure they will. We have just gone through a massive recessions, and I changed job 3 times in 2 years and had about 15 interviews over that period.

There were people in the 70's who never thought they would work, yet a decade later we were all driving around in Porsches and visiting wine bars.

Times change, they will again.

People will still be going to work, still booking holidays and still living their lives.

Maybe you should stop reading the guardian and start living a bit, as someone once said "If you go to the park looking for dog **** you will find dog ****, doesnt mean everything is dog ****"

Back