• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Walsall 5 Southend United 2

Sawyer is a class act in my book and I am sure once he gets older will do well in the game.

What you all see in Scannell is a bit beyond me. I cant held but think its an emporers clothes scenario as he has done nothing of note in a blue shirt to date in my book.

and what exactly in your opinion did walker do? because in my eyes it didnt seem much, apart from a couple of drag backs that got him no where.

He runs at the defense every time he gets the ball causing them problems, set barney up very unselfishly for the 2nd and even won more headers in the air than Revell (although it was only one).

"Grant- 6: Did a defensive midfielder job, nothing special, few errors"

Other than the sizzling header that beat Mildenhall!

Mildenhall 6 - got completely caught out by the 5th (although who was closing their bloke down?) when the game was dead and heads had dropped but otherwise kept competently, commanding his area and with good distribution.
Francis 5 - awful header to gift the first goal and it was far from his only mistake as he gave a display that was far too reminiscent of his displays in the championship
Harding 7 - our MOM, he's our only defender who can read the game. He seems to have got better and better each game although he still don't fancy it under the high ball.
Clarke 4 - his weak header killed the game off. Distribution as woeful as ever. Still suspect positionally and can't read the game otherwise not too bad
Barrett 5 - struggles against bigger forwards like Ibhere who can negate his physical approach
Sawyer 6.5 - our stand out player in the first half, before he faded second half having been dumped on the deck by Walsall on quite a few occasions. Looked an upgrade over the disappointing Moussa as he helped improve our passing game, but when it comes to passing the ball we are a shadow of the team we've been privileged enough to watch over the last handful of seasons.
Grant 6 - it should have been a central defender attacking the ball rather than a midfielder facing his own net, but at least he tried to take responsibility. Otherwise his game was more of the same from what we've seen from him so far this season with the type of performance that was lauded at Millwall but defeat against Brighton was blamed on him.
Betsy 5 - some nice touches but mainly anonymous. He really needs to get himself involved more and impose himself on the game.
Robson-Kanu 5 - scored with pretty much his first touch although he get a little more involved second half he still doesn't offer much on the wing. His defensive work leaves a lot to be desired as he just doesn't close down quickly enough allowing far too many crosses to be put in.
Barnard 6 - provided a few rare moments of class, such as the knockdown for the first goal but has to come so deep to search for the ball. Took his goal well to suggest that he'd score if he ever gets any service.
Revell 5 - looked a yard off the pace (and that might be generous)

Subs Walker 8 - added a new dimension to our forward play. Must start.
Scannell 6 - marginally better than Betsy/Robson-Kanu

don't normally do these and have just typed in a lengthy post and then lost it:doh:
anyway, with six being average, these are my ratings

Mildenhall - 5 - seems to be the scapegoat for yesterday- looked a lazy effort on final goal but others were equally cuplable for the scoreline

Francis - 4 - very poor and often far too casual

Clarke- 4 - as bad as Francis IMO and has got off lightly in post-match reactions on here

Barrett - 6
Harding -6 - though he is not a free-kick taker

Kanu - 5 - anonymous apart from a very-well taken goal - would rather see him upfront

Sawyer - 7 - looked good in first half especially

Grant - 5 - brilliant goal, wrong end, otherwise anonymous

Betsy - 5- beats several players but no final ball

Barnard - 7 - worked his socks off

Revell- 6 - worked hard but not a natural scorer like Barnard and Kanu

Subs - Walker 7 - we looked better when he was on and he set up Barny's goal
Scanell - 6

part two...
I'm a fully paid up member of rose-tinted specs glass-half-full brigade but looking at weaknesses in squad - defensive options, midfield creativity- I am puzzled by players we are looking at - forwards, defensive midfielders.
The differences between teams in this league are small and one or two additions to our squad in the rigth areas can make a difference between challenging for play-offs and struggling at the wrong end.
I've not seen much of Sankofa other than a sub appearance in central midfield against midfield - but can he be worse than Clarke yesterday?
I would try Kanu up front with Barny and try Walker and Scannell on the flanks. When Macca is fit, Grant will struggle to hold his place ahead of Sawyer on yesterday's evidence.
With what we've got all fully fit - this starting line-up may be worth a go:

Mildy
Francis. Sankofa, Barrett, Harding
Walker, Sawyer, Macca, Scannell
Barnard, Kanu

part three:

good to meet Yorkshire Blue and MK (again!) yesterday - though latter had forgotten who I was and initially looked worried I might be a stalker.

was chatting to a wolverhmapton-based southend fan on way home yesterday - don't know if he comes on here, but if you do - good to have met you and hope those Wolves fans weren't too hard on you in the pub last night

part two...
I'm a fully paid up member of rose-tinted specs glass-half-full brigade but looking at weaknesses in squad - defensive options, midfield creativity- I am puzzled by players we are looking at - forwards, defensive midfielders.
The differences between teams in this league are small and one or two additions to our squad in the rigth areas can make a difference between challenging for play-offs and struggling at the wrong end.
I've not seen much of Sankofa other than a sub appearance in central midfield against midfield - but can he be worse than Clarke yesterday?
I would try Kanu up front with Barny and try Walker and Scannell on the flanks. When Macca is fit, Grant will struggle to hold his place ahead of Sawyer on yesterday's evidence.
With what we've got all fully fit - this starting line-up may be worth a go:

Mildy
Francis. Sankofa, Barrett, Harding
Walker, Sawyer, Macca, Scannell
Barnard, Kanu

When Macca is fit I'd put him in the centre and play a central midfielder out wide to give us more solidity. At the moment I'd probably go Sawyer in the middle with Grant out wide and then Scannell on the other wing.

Robson-Kanu is not a winger, but I'd revert to last season's successful Barnard-Walker partnership up front.

When Macca is fit I'd put him in the centre and play a central midfielder out wide to give us more solidity. At the moment I'd probably go Sawyer in the middle with Grant out wide and then Scannell on the other wing.

Robson-Kanu is not a winger, but I'd revert to last season's successful Barnard-Walker partnership up front.

that would be an option worth trying too - Grant out wide would give us a more solid look especially away from home

You know, I just wonder whether Scannell might not convert to a better centre mid - he's got the guts for it, no denying it.

part three:

good to meet Yorkshire Blue and MK (again!) yesterday - though latter had forgotten who I was and initially looked worried I might be a stalker.

was chatting to a wolverhmapton-based southend fan on way home yesterday - don't know if he comes on here, but if you do - good to have met you and hope those Wolves fans weren't too hard on you in the pub last night

Lol sorry mate, I've got a terrible memory for faces. Next time I'll remember!

Walsall ~ Shocker or what.....

Did not go to the Walsall match due to work commitments but have read all the posts so far and there is a worrying trend in terms of the players that are up for it, those who are under performing and those that are simply not good enough!

After the first half performance against Brighton I really thought we looked a tight and effective unit, the second half did disappoint but I could not forsee the scoreline against Walsall. So where are we going wrong??

If Flavs had Mildenhalls height then he would have been international class but I do feel that Tilly was right to let him go as last season was not his best. Mildenhall should not 'need time' as he is an experienced goalkeeper but despite being far more vocal than Flavs both Clarkie and Adam do not seem to have 'clicked' with him.

Francis is a good fullback although it sounds as if he had an off day against Walsall and I do think Harding is excellent and lets not let him slip through our hands ala Mulgrew.

Clarkie, is he still on the list?? What news on the contract talks and 'close to signing' rumours. If his future is not settled perhaps it reflects in his performances so far this season?

Barrett, why not try him in a midfield anchoring role, not sure who would replace him at the back but might be worth a try even just while we wait for Macca.

Not convinced by Betsy, Scannell if fit could be the ace in the pack but Tilly please work on getting then keeping him fit! Being 'injury prone' could be down to so many factors and I am sure there are people who can help him to avoid the
re-occuring problems.

Liked Sawyer against Brighton and from all accounts some good reports from the Walsall game. No chance of full time signing but lets try to extend the loan spell so he can work with Macca, that could be a great pairing.

Kanu is a touch of class but not convinced as yet by Grant.

Upfront cannot see what Tilly saw in Ravell, I hear he is a nice guy off the pitch, really wants to do well for the club and does appear to work hard but I have not seen much of an end result from all his apparent effort.

Barney, great to hear he got a goal and that should spark his confidence.

I like Walker but he does not score enough goals and probably never will so
if needs be he could play behind a front two.

Is Freedman coming to Southend, I hope he is, has anyone heard any news.

The recent French new signings, lets hope they are as special as some feel but the Freedman signing is important and could be crucial to our season.

Hurry back Macca.....we need you!!!

The team for Tuesday will be very interesting.......

Back