• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch ......... Walsall (A)

Re the goal that wasn't on the stroke of half time does anyone remember World Cup 1978 when Welsh referee Clive Thomas blew up for full time as the ball was coming in from a corner. Zico netted but the goal was disallowed, robbing Brazil of a 2-1 win against Sweden. Probably hasn't happened since until yesterday when the hapless referee didn't even know the ball had gone in the net..

I remember it well. This one. The rules have changed since as technically Clive Thomas was playing to time and was right at the time, although nearly all ref's would have let that goal stand by blowing up at the end of play. Now they let the ball go dead or in a non threatening position. As a side bit, the ball had to be inside the arc at corners as well.

I remember it well. This one. The rules have changed since as technically Clive Thomas was playing to time and was right at the time, although nearly all ref's would have let that goal stand by blowing up at the end of play. Now they let the ball go dead or in a non threatening position. As a side bit, the ball had to be inside the arc at corners as well.
Yes that's it. At least some good came out of that situation, much more sensible now. At least Thomas was technically correct, unlikr the myopic gentleman yesterday.

Re the goal that wasn't on the stroke of half time does anyone remember World Cup 1978 when Welsh referee Clive Thomas blew up for full time as the ball was coming in from a corner. Zico netted but the goal was disallowed, robbing Brazil of a 2-1 win against Sweden. Probably hasn't happened since until yesterday when the hapless referee didn't even know the ball had gone in the net..

It's happened a bit more recently than 40 years ago !

Guess who ?

Even if you give the ref the benefit of the doubt over the half time no goal (on the basis that the Walsall players heard the whistle and stopped playing), and say he saw something for the penalty that doesn't show up on the highlights, the foul on Bunn surely has to have been a straight red in anyone's book regardless of DOGSO ?

Waiting for our ref experts to give their opinion here....

I thought you WERE the expert?? Ha ha
Anyway, that was possibly the worst reffing performance I've seen at any level, anywhere and at any age.

No just the obvious stuff you've all picked up on (apart from the foul on Bunn, I'd have yellowed there). He didn't know what a foul was, he didn't know when to blow his whistle, he didn't get into the right position, he didn't know how to play advantage.....

The penalty is up there amongst the worst I've ever seen. The drinks break was shambolic. The goal that wasn't defies belief (to the point I didn't believe he did that until it was confirmed).

Just an utter cluster****.

And whilst we are 22nd in this division for a reason (its not bad reffing, its bad performances), that reffing performance may well have been the final nail in the coffin.

Watching the full match replay on iFollow, the whistle is blown for half-time between Moore hitting the ball and it reaching the empty net. Unbelievable.

Question for @Mick. Mick, how can a referee book a player twice and still leave him on the pitch? Is that allowable or was he at fault and can the bookings be changed to a red after a match?

Question for @Mick. Mick, how can a referee book a player twice and still leave him on the pitch? Is that allowable or was he at fault and can the bookings be changed to a red after a match?

It's happened a few times with far better referees than Ross Joyce involved. It pretty much brought an end to Andy D'Urso's Premier League refereeing and of course there was the Graham Poll incident on the slighter bigger stage than the Bescot, the 2006 World Cup.

Normally it happens as a result of incorrect recording of the first yellow.

Another perhaps naïve question; can, or is, the 4th official allowed to advise the referee of any "errors of judgement"...:Unsure:

Certainly on factual matters (like "you've booked him twice"); not on opinion issues (like "a penalty? you're having a laugh").

Mick - will you be able to update us on what, if any, sanction will be meted out to the ref?

Of course. He is being demoted to refereeing Step 9 football next month.

The bad news is it's the FA Vase Final at Wembley.

Back