• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Walsall FC 1-1 Southend United

Sounds like a major improvement so well done to the boys at least but still ouch.

If only Elvis scored that chance... and Kelman!

Last edited:
This is no where near finished. Some massive games left where every point will count. Our survival is possible and very much realistic given today’s performance. Hopefully this will spur the boys on because we can stay in this division come the end of the season.

It’s keep happening to us!! Nothing going right for us this year and that penalty sum it up & the referee blow before half time while the ball was in the play as Moore scored, then disallowed. The referee cost us our league 1 status!

Blocked everything out today

Just looked at the result!

94th minute penalty - another 2 points lost

Aaaaaaaaggggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like we played really well. All the players put in a shift with no passengers like Dieng and Kightly. Defending we sounded superb for a change with Mark Oxley hardly having a save to make. We have been done by a ref that seemed to be getting things wrong all game. A foul on Elvis, not given, play on then dubious penalty given. We were robbed by a truly useless ref, and I rarely moan about refs on here. Turner should know that if you even slightly touch a Walsall player in the box within the last few minutes, he will probably go down. And why was Moore's goal ruled out on half time?

Last edited:
When your down the bottom needing a little bit of luck and good fortune it never comes.
IF only...........Elvis goal just at half time would have stood
IF only...........Elvis had been given the free kick just before they went on and conned a penalty
IF only..........The reffering was at a basic level.

Second from bottom now but, am still hoping

I’ve never blamed a ref for a lose, but that could be up there.

Elvis made 2 huge errors....firstly any league standard player should be tucking it away to put us 2-0 up and any league standard player should be taking that ball into the corner to see out the game. Sadly he is not football league standard. School boy errors have cost us.

Aside from the result that I think nails our coffin shut, it was a greatly improved performances. Boys looked up for it...we capitalized when we were on top and looking professional seeing out the game.

In the last month or so we’ve conceded 2 pennos and 1 OG in the dying moments costing us 6 points. Those 6 points would’ve made us safe.

Going back to L2 is bigger than playing Morcombe away again, I fear for our survival.

FC SOUTHEND UNITED.

I’ve never blamed a ref for a lose, but that could be up there.

Elvis made 2 huge errors....firstly any league standard player should be tucking it away to put us 2-0 up and any league standard player should be taking that ball into the corner to see out the game. Sadly he is not football league standard. School boy errors have cost us.

Aside from the result that I think nails our coffin shut, it was a greatly improved performances. Boys looked up for it...we capitalized when we were on top and looking professional seeing out the game.

In the last month or so we’ve conceded 2 pennos and 1 OG in the dying moments costing us 6 points. Those 6 points would’ve made us safe.

Going back to L2 is bigger than playing Morcombe away again, I fear for our survival.

FC SOUTHEND UNITED.

Why do some players.....always the same ones....get pulled up and criticised and others...always the same ones are seemingly untouchable?

Players of league standard make mistakes...players of world standard make mistakes!!!!

How was Kelmans miss on the 1 on 1? Would that not have made the game safe? Or is it just Elvis not upto it?

Ref has pretty much sealed our fate there. I’m just truly gutted. This one seriously hurts. The standard of refereeing has to improve in the lower leagues. It’s all well and good saying sorry after the game, but sorry doesn’t put two more points on the ****ing board.

**** this season. Can’t wait for it to be finished.

Brilliant performance to be fair, very little to criticise about that. Had the ref blown for half-time a second later, had Elvis or Kelman buried huge chances, we’d be walking away with three points. No comments on the penalty as couldn’t see it.

Plenty of fight from that side and can be proud of that display, particularly after a shaky start. Some of them looked exhausted by the end so Monday’s line-up could be interesting. We deserved the three points, they barely had a chance all game and it should have been game over by the penalty. Gutting.

Defensively we were alright, midfield was strong defensively but just lacked the connection with attack. Front two looked isolated at tones but never gave up. Play like that for the next 3 and we might be alright if results elsewhere go our way, but with that result I expect it’ll be League Two next year.

Oxley 7 Did what he had to when called upon, which wasn’t a lot.
Elvis 7 Looked nervous but grew into the game. Occasionally caught out pushing too far up but offered a lot going forwards.
White 7 Solid, typical of him.
Turner 7 Won a lot in the air.
Moore 7.5 Read the game superbly and they couldn’t get past him. Linked up well with Hart.
Hart 7.5 Offered a lot defensively and offensively, excellent display.
Yearwood 6.5 Didn’t do much wrong but a lot of the game passed him by.
Kiernan 7 Broke play up well and got stuck in.
Mantom 6.5 Wasted almost every set piece, did alright and improved as the game went on.
Cox 7.5 Never gave up, took his goal superbly and led from the front.
Bunn 6 Offside too often, though he did make some decent runs.

Subs
Hendrie 6 Did very little.
Kelman 6.5 Like Elvis, should have scored. He added energy up-front well.
Hyam 6.5 See Yearwood.

Feared that our subs came a little early on, but it wasn’t an issue. Nothing to be said about their late penalty, those things happen. Ref was poor throughout, could have given a foul on Elvis just before the penalty, but as I’ve already said, we should’ve been out of sight.

Result is gutting but in a weird way slightly more satisfying that at least the performance today wasn’t one of a team who don’t care, as has been the case too often this season. Bond could’ve come over to the fans at the end, but if that seals relegation he may be off anyway. Oh well, promotion 2019/20 here we come.

Why do some players.....always the same ones....get pulled up and criticised and others...always the same ones are seemingly untouchable?

Players of league standard make mistakes...players of world standard make mistakes!!!!

How was Kelmans miss on the 1 on 1? Would that not have made the game safe? Or is it just Elvis not upto it?

Did you watch it?

Kelmans 1-1 was no where near as easy as Elvis.

It’s not scrap goating ...the geezer won’t get a league contract after he leaves us...not his fault but his 2 vital mistakes at the most important times have cost us.

Good grief, I've just seen the 'penalty' incident. I usually defend refs but that is a disgraceful decision. Heartbreaking.

Ref has pretty much sealed our fate there. I’m just truly gutted. This one seriously hurts. The standard of refereeing has to improve in the lower leagues. It’s all well and good saying sorry after the game, but sorry doesn’t put two more points on the ****ing board.

**** this season. Can’t wait for it to be finished.

Never a Pen in a million years..****ing ref.

Bond has just said the ref admitted he got it wrong both disallowed goal and penalty!!!!!

That’s helpful! What a bellend you’ve just rubbed it in our face you’re incompetent and not fit to referee!

Back