• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Walsall v Southend United

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
The Official Match Thread brought to you by ShrimperZone.com

So here we are the twenty-second away game of the 2018/19 season and the 2nd away game since Kevin Bond was appointed Manager until the end of the season at the Mighty Shrimpers.

Our twenty-second away match is against Walsall

SkyBet League One.jpg
image.pngVS.pngSUFC.jpg

It is now time for ALL of us to get behind Kevin and the team whether you are at Bank’s Stadium, listening on the radio, or watching on ifollow.

Kevin Bond’s 2nd Southend United League One Away Team of the 2018/19

D4hI0RcX4AIRkVq.jpg

Bank’s Stadium (Bescot Stadium) is ready for action at 3.00pm Friday 19th April 2019, it looks like we are going to have a nice hot sunny afternoon for the game with a gentle breeze, make sure you take sun blocker, your sun glasses, and sun hat.

D4g-KyxW0AA9O0u.jpg

D4g0ux3WsAEWCXg.jpg

The weather forecast for day at Bank’s Stadium

Walsall v SUFC Weather.jpg

Kevin Bond’s current away record after 1 games

Won 0
Drawn 1
Lost 0
Goals scored 2
Goals conceded 2

League Positions Last Season

10th (2017/18 Season) League One Southend United
19th (2017/18 Season) League One Wasall

League Positions Current Season

22nd (2018/19 Season) Southend United
23rd (2018/19 Season) Walsall

Recent League Position Change

Walsall v SUFC Positions.png

Previous Five Meetings

Southend United 3-0 Walsall (L1 23/10/18 Att. 5,603)
Southend United 0-3 Walsall (L1 03/03/18 Att. 6,413)
Walsall 0-1 Southend United (L1 28/10/17 Att. 4,145)
Southend United 3-2 Walsall (L1 18/03/17 Att. 6,756)
Walsall 0-0 Southend United (L1 26/11/16 Att. 4,342)

Head to Head record

Southend United Wins: 42
Draws: 18
Walsall Wins: 25

The New Era

hqdefault - Copy.jpg

Kevin Bond license to Win!

Managers Pre-match Views

Walsall

Interim Walsall Manager Martin O’Connor talks to Walsall OS before the game

O'Connor: Saddlers still have what it takes

Interim boss Martin O’Connor is confident his team has what it takes to survive relegation and believes the Saddlers fans will see a reaction against Southend United.

The Saddlers host fellow strugglers Southend on Good Friday and O’Connor revealed there were some harsh words said following the ‘non-performance’ against Accrington Stanley.

And the 51-year-old is hoping that those harsh words can get a reaction, in what is set to be a pivotal weekend.

“We regrouped on Sunday morning and cleared the air,” said O’Connor.

“We had a meeting and a few things were said by myself and there were a few comments from the boys as well.

“We aired our frustrations and disappointments and then we all came in on Monday and trained hard and we did the same on Tuesday as well.

“I am looking to see a reaction from them on Friday.

“To be fair to the players, they have been working very hard in training this week and hopefully that will bear fruit in Friday’s game.

“I know they have got confidence and I know they are good players. They need to have that belief within themselves to go out and perform, to compete and toembrace the challenge of the position we find ourselves in.

“I think it is a mindset rather than a physical element.

“We are where we are because of our performance levels over the last three or four months.

“We haven’t been good enough and we now find ourselves fighting a relegation battle that we have been in for two months and we are still in it.

“We could still get ourselves out of it though and that is the positive that I have been telling the players.

“We still have a chance to get ourselves out of this scrap.

“Rather than looking at the negatives, like how we didn’t perform against Accrington, the positives are that we are still in with a chance of getting out of this.”

Full text can be found here:-
https://www.saddlers.co.uk/news/2019/april/oconnor-saddlers-still-have-what-it-takes/

Southend United

Kevin Bond talks to Southend United OS website before the game

Kevin Bond prepares for a pivotal trip to Walsall

The pre-match thoughts of Blues boss Kevin Bond ahead of Friday's game away at Walsall.

On the ‘surprising’ performance against Wycombe and getting a reaction against Walsall…

It was disappointing after such an encouraging display up at Fleetwood; we just never really got going against Wycombe and were on the back foot for most of the game. It was hugely disappointing, it came to me and most others as quite a bit of a surprise but certainly after the Fleetwood game I was disappointed, especially in front of our home fans, so we will be looking for a response and a much better performance with more of a spirited look about ourselves on Friday.

On performances on the road being better than at home…

Some teams who are in trouble sometimes feel more pressure when playing at home as there is a greater expectation but ultimately if we are going to achieve what we want to, we will have to start performing at home at some stage as well as away from home. The games are running out and we need results, we are aware of what we must do in terms of applying ourselves to get the performances we need and obviously that’s what we will be looking for.

On two games in four days…

I will only juggle my squad based on the last result and not the next game. I will play the best team I have available to me not thinking about the next game and then after the upcoming game if I have to adjust my thinking for the game after that then I will have to adjust it. I’m not trying to plot myself through two games, I am just trying to plan my way through Walsall.

On how as a manager he goes about lifting the spirits of the players…

You must try and build confidence, by preparing and training well for the next game so we feel good. We could also not concede in the first five minutes as well as getting to half-time and not conceding a goal, all these goals are smaller and more achievable. If you look at the big picture you may think its going to be difficult but if you then look at it in a different way, you think that its very getable. If you start well in the game, it gives you a bit of confidence, getting to half-time having played well also helps with confidence. So, we just need to try and build the confidence bit by bit.

On both sides not being in good form…

We are both in a similar situation. The pressure is very much on them as in the same way it is on us. It is also a game in which both teams need to win so I wouldn’t expect anything other than a totally committed performance from Walsall. We will be under no illusions, they’re not playing well at the moment and the same can be said for us but it’s not going to make our task any easier.

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/news/2019/april/kevin-bond-prepares-for-a-pivotal-trip-to-walsall/

Kevin Bond talks to Chris Phillips at the ECHO before the game

Southend United boss Kevin Bond to assess fitness risks ahead of Walsall clash

Southend United manager Kevin Bond must decide whether or not to take risks on players who are not fully fit for Friday's crunch clash at Walsall.

Stephen McLaughlin and Stephen Humphrys have both returned to action for Blues despite not being fully fit while defender Harry Lennon faces a late check on a groin problem ahead of this afternoon’s game.

But Bond will carefully consider who he selects.

“If you put yourself forward to play it’s a help but I have to weigh up whether or not a 70, 80 or 90 per cent fit first team regular is good enough for us at this moment in time,” said Bond.

“We need people who are prepared to put themselves forward and play when they’re not 100 per cent fit but sometimes you don’t do yourself any favours by playing when you’re not fit.

“It’s a call we all have to make between us.”

McLaughlin came on as a second half substitute against Wycombe Wanderers last weekend after recovering from a calf problem.

But Bond is fully aware the Irishman is not yet back to his best.

“Stephen McLaughlin is someone whose fitness levels and sharpness are going to be short,” said Bond.

“He’s not had the training he needs.

“You’re looking at what these players can do for you when they’re at their best but they’re not going to be at their best because they’re playing with a knock when normally you wouldn’t ask them to.

“If they don’t perform then it’s difficult to be critical because they’ve actually stood up to be counted.

“Ultimately, you have to weigh it up and we will have to decide whether or not it’s worth taking the risk.”

Harry Bunn - who was on the bench last weekend after suffering a tight hamstring at Fleetwood Town - has trained all week for Blues but midfielder Luke Hyam is expected to miss out with a hamstring problem.

Right-back Jason Demetriou will definitely be unavailable against his former side after suffering a knee injury against Wycombe Wanderers last weekend.

Long term absentees Ben Coker, Tom Hopper, Sam Barratt and Harry Kyprianou are still sidelined.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/17584790.blues-boss-bond-to-assess-fitness-risks/?ref=ar

Kevin Bond license to Win!

Still no room on the bench for Norman Wabo. Why do we keep this man? he's only good for scoring goals at U-23 level.

Not sure what I think about the line up. Good to see Dru start, unsure whether Turner and White together gives me confidence but they’ve got Kiernan there to cover.

Morgan Ferrier not in the squad for Walsall, thank **** for that. He would be guaranteed to scored.

I fear the worst with this line up. Turner? Kightly still in the squad? KB you are gutless, clueless and likely to be pointless. If this shower achieve a point or more it will be more by luck than judgment. I bet Cox must look at the selections and cry.

I fear the worst with this line up. Turner? Kightly still in the squad? KB you are gutless, clueless and likely to be pointless. If this shower achieve a point or more it will be more by luck than judgment. I bet Cox must look at the selections and cry.

What’s he supposed to do? Hardly got many options he’s dropped dieng and kightly isn’t starting plus Moore and Yearwood in the squad

Glad to see Bond is more attacking than Powell. Can see us putting 4 or 5 past them with the attacking talent on show.

No Humphrys :Cry:Otherwise Bond's picked about the best team that's available. At least he's dropped Dieng and Kightly.

Part of KB's quote -

On how as a manager he goes about lifting the spirits of the players…

You must try and build confidence, by preparing and training well for the next game so we feel good. We could also not concede in the first five minutes as well as getting to half-time and not conceding a goal, all these goals are smaller and more achievable.

Is that part of his plan? Smaller goals?

I would have returned Kiernan to defence instead of playing Turner and included Klass or Hutchinson in midifeld. Good to see Dru and Taylor Moore back in.

Smaller goals? That's a cunning plan..... so cunning that if you put a tail on it it would be a fox.

I'd sort of made myself a promise not to look for the line-up, not to listen to the game and not to appear miserable when the kids turn up this afternoon. So scrub the first part of the promise then!! It will be interesting to see whether Taylor has lost whatever was keeping him out of the team. As for the two old warhorses at the back........they have played well before for us and if necessary Lennon can come on and finally bollock his groin strain for the rest of the season. Bugger, that's the third part of my promise scuppered. I'm definitely not listening though, maybe a quick peek on here now and again...hmm that may be even worse.

SOUTHEND United manager Kevin Bond has made six changes to his starting line-up for this afternoon’s clash at Walsall.

More...

Back