• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Clarky_Blues

Manager
A throughly well deserved draw for the super blues and it could have been 3 points!

Excellent away following, approx 500 Shrimpers made the trip and out sung the very quiet home fans.  The Bescott is a pretty impressive ground with one very large double tiered stand behind one goal.

Daryl made a good double save early on as Walsall started the brighter of the 2 sides.  Southend came back in to it and played some very good passing football, but neither team had any other major clear cut chances in the 1st half.

Southend opened the scoring through Gray with a great header from a I think Maher cross, a very well worked goal.  Not long afterwards Eastwood had a glorious chance to put us 2 up!  A great passing move led to Gower slotting a great ball to Eastwood who then spun his marker and with only the keeper to beat he managed to screw it wide - Fredy and Wayne both held their heads in disbelief.  I think Fredy just needs to get one goal to get him going and lets hope he does not try to hard to force one!

Walsall then caught us out with 2 soft defensive goals, they got round the back of us very easily and we found ourselves 2 down in quick succession!  

Tilly then replaced Gutts with Jay Smith.  It was great to see Jay back in a Southend shirt after such a long time and believe me he has not lost his touch or class.  He seemed to change the way we played and was at the centre of all our moves, he linked up the play so well, little intricate one-two's - cannot wait to see him in the starting 11.  The Goat then came on for Petts, Gray went wide and the new pairing of Fredy & Shaun was tested for the first time.  And the Goat came to the rescue on 89 mins a good delivery from Maher was met by Goater who sent a bullet header in to the bottom left hand corner of the net to send the following faithful in to mental celebrations and "feed the goat and he will score" echoed around the Bescott.  What a fairy tell debut for Shaun!

2 mins of injury time was indicated but the ref played 4 before Flavs pulled off what could be the save of the season from a header from 6 yards out - I personally thought it was in the net and then some how Flavs reacted magnificently to claw the ball wide - you will do well to see a save any better than it all season in any league.

All in all a great point and I am sure most people would have taken that before the game.  Think we need to work on our defending from crosses as we looked very poor in this area.

Up the football league we go!

Would have taken as point before the game without doubt, but if Freddy had scored to make it 2-0....

Football is al about 'what if's and it's another decent away performance at one of the fancied teams which generally suggests to me that maybe we can cut it in this league...!

What a fairytale for Goater, his 250th goal on his debut for his new club rescues a vital point!
biggrin.gif

I like you Clarky thought we had blown it in the dying seconds but can't wait to see it played time and time again on the box. It was truly in the Gordon Banks category, Well done Flavs.

Back