• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

''Walsall's amazing feat''

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
I remember an amazing game at Roots Hall back in 1980 versus Hereford in the F.A. cup ,when we lost 1-0 .You know when people say that the opposition had just One shot and scored ,well this was it ,but it actually happened .We was camped in their half the whole match as they played with just One striker up front and played for a replay ,and they were pants .Our strikers weren't very good at the time and missed chance after chance .A fair scoreline would have been 5-0 and they couldn't complain ,how it ended up 0-1 ,I will never know .Our goalie touched the ball just once ,to pick it out of the net .

I was thinking of this because since that time ,I have not seen an opposing team not have a shot untill about the 70th minute ,untill Walsall managed it yesterday .

I remember an amazing game at Roots Hall back in 1980 versus Hereford in the F.A. cup ,when we lost 1-0 .You know when people say that the opposition had just One shot and scored ,well this was it ,but it actually happened .We was camped in their half the whole match as they played with just One striker up front and played for a replay ,and they were pants .Our strikers weren't very good at the time and missed chance after chance .A fair scoreline would have been 5-0 and they couldn't complain ,how it ended up 0-1 ,I will never know .Our goalie touched the ball just once ,to pick it out of the net .

I was thinking of this because since that time ,I have not seen an opposing team not have a shot untill about the 70th minute ,untill Walsall managed it yesterday .

Same score but the right way round then !

Have a vague recollection of the game you mention, though try to block out the defeats, whilst in losing a lot can be learned. SZFC good example.

It's not always about the winning, as we sometimes lose sight of the sporting factor and the spirit was never stronger in the dark days when 3.5 - 4.5k would make more noise & really get behind the team.

The first half performance of the 8k support yesterday was not good IMO.

Like a church and next to me Stevie Gee was able to hold a couple of mobile conversations to sort out his evening entertainment with the mademoiselle, with very little problem.

Stange how in adversity, we all find it easier to really get behind our team, rather than when the expectation to win is present.

Best we all think we are to lose the last 6 games and get off our ar... vocally to do our bit to lift the team when it is 0-0

I really enjoyed the game and some of the things that happened against Walsall .
The whole team performance was great ,Gower's brilliant goal that wasn't given (shame on the lino) ,great ref for a change ,the banter and gestures between the south upper and their goalie Ince ,he took it in the right way and responded in bottom wiggles etc,etc .I loved some of the tricks and ball control that the mouse and scannell did at half time ,some of the best I've seen ,and of course ,the right result .
All in all ,a most enjoyable time spent at the Hall .

I really enjoyed the game and some of the things that happened against Walsall .
The whole team performance was great ,Gower's brilliant goal that wasn't given (shame on the lino) ,great ref for a change ,the banter and gestures between the south upper and their goalie Ince ,he took it in the right way and responded in bottom wiggles etc,etc .I loved some of the tricks and ball control that the mouse and scannell did at half time ,some of the best I've seen ,and of course ,the right result .
All in all ,a most enjoyable time spent at the Hall .

''OOPS'' ,forgot to mention Barnard's goal that wasn't even his goal .

I remember this game well as it was the first FA Cup game i ever went to. After the game i remember my dad saying to me "This is what the FA Cup is all about, These silly things only usually happen in the Cup". The peculiar thing was that we lost to Hereford at the same stage the following year 3-1 this time.

Back