• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wanted- one new goalkeeper!

I think Wiggy has a point.Even though I quite like Mark Oxley he didn't really try to dominate in the 6yard box yesterday. A few times too many he left it to the centre backs and they really didn't cover themselves in glory did they? I thought they got bullied a bit by Jonsson-Clarke and all in all the defence (inc Oxley) were below par.
A decisive keeper might have taken responsibility and made up for their shortcomings.
All in all we were really not very good at all and I think we got what our performance deserved.

According to yesterday’s programme the Ox has scored 4 goals this season, 30 in total from 86 blue appearances. With a career total of 69. Good return for a keeper.

Not as good as Stockdale who has a career total of 118 goals. One of them for us.

I really must watch games more closely as apparently Ted Smith has scored 7 times for us as well.

Mark Oxley was Player Of The Season last season, so he can't be that bad. Most wanted him to stay when his contract came to an end, as it looked like he was off to a Championship club.

Nobody is saying he’s a terrible goalkeeper or we should get rid of him, or at least they shouldn’t be, for one I’m pointing out his flaws, which was apparent yesterday and has been previously

Can't see Oxley as a weakness for us, just as a strength based on performances over the last year. He's a good L1 keeper. If he was a lot better he'd be further up the food chain.

Does unfortunately seem to be the modern way of goalkeeping. Dan Bentley was very similar. Yes Coventry's keeper came and caught crosses but they were just floated in and pretty easy for him. I would like to see Oxley at least rule his 6 yard box. However, I would say Oxley is a good League 1 keeper but not an excellent one.

Wiggy has a point but we must be realistic. Oxley seems physically equipped to be a commanding keeper in League 1 …. he's tall and strongly built yet rarely comes and takes charge of balls floated into our box the way Coventry's keeper did yesterday. He did punch a few times which is the modern way but they were there to be caught rather than simply clearing the ball to the edge of the area putting us under more pressure. However he's a great shot stopper and has kept us in games when the defenders in front of him have messed up. I have to say that I've seen a lot of good goalkeeping displays in League 1 this season. We have been denied by keepers who have been not just good shot-stoppers but who also grabbed our floated corners/free-kicks as a matter of course. But we can't blame Oxley for yesterday's abysmal defensive performance. Turner and Moore both lost out in the air to players not as tall as them and the players around them were slow to react to the second ball. It was a bad day all round but not a cause for deep pessimism as on other occasions we have made the opposition look like dummies. Let's see how the next game pans out before we start slitting our wrists. Yes we all want a tall strong keeper who plucks the ball out of the air but gets down quickly to make saves, centre backs who are tall, strong and quick, full backs who tackle strongly but are brilliant getting forward and putting in telling crosses, defensively strong midfield players who can pick a pass and score goals plus pacey strikers who hold the ball up well and are clinical finishers. Who doesn't? The premiershite clubs can't manage all that with their millions. Let's be grateful for where we are in the league and optimistic about how much better we can be.

I said same at the game. Oxley doesn’t command his box. Wiggy right. Still good keeper but no hiding this part of his game.

Oxley is an excellent shot stopper and generally a good kicker, but is slow to release the ball sometimes when a break looks to be on, and could get more involved in his own box by coming for crosses etc. However, if he had that commanding element to his game as well, then there's no way he'd be playing for us, so its swings and roundabouts really. All things considered he's a perfectly good keeper for this level.

Wiggy has a point but we must be realistic. Oxley seems physically equipped to be a commanding keeper in League 1 …. he's tall and strongly built yet rarely comes and takes charge of balls floated into our box the way Coventry's keeper did yesterday. He did punch a few times which is the modern way but they were there to be caught rather than simply clearing the ball to the edge of the area putting us under more pressure. However he's a great shot stopper and has kept us in games when the defenders in front of him have messed up. I have to say that I've seen a lot of good goalkeeping displays in League 1 this season. We have been denied by keepers who have been not just good shot-stoppers but who also grabbed our floated corners/free-kicks as a matter of course. But we can't blame Oxley for yesterday's abysmal defensive performance. Turner and Moore both lost out in the air to players not as tall as them and the players around them were slow to react to the second ball. It was a bad day all round but not a cause for deep pessimism as on other occasions we have made the opposition look like dummies. Let's see how the next game pans out before we start slitting our wrists. Yes we all want a tall strong keeper who plucks the ball out of the air but gets down quickly to make saves, centre backs who are tall, strong and quick, full backs who tackle strongly but are brilliant getting forward and putting in telling crosses, defensively strong midfield players who can pick a pass and score goals plus pacey strikers who hold the ball up well and are clinical finishers. Who doesn't? The premiershite clubs can't manage all that with their millions. Let's be grateful for where we are in the league and optimistic about how much better we can be.
I agree, there are far better all round keepers than Oxley in this League. He is tall and well built so should be coached to improve this side of his game....maybe it's Lee Harrison that is not doing his job in the coaching role?

I agree, there are far better all round keepers than Oxley in this League. He is tall and well built so should be coached to improve this side of his game....maybe it's Lee Harrison that is not doing his job in the coaching role?

From being mocked to the clearest POTY would suggest Harrison is doing his job.

Made great saves at Burton otherwise we would have been 3-0 at H/T.
Good save in injury time v Oxford and made sure Gills never pulled one back to give us a tough 20 minutes last week.

There are some who believe every cross is a keepers and heap ridiculous criticism on him. Yes it’s not his strongest point but to claim he is not good enough for a mid table L1 club is utter nonsense.

From being mocked to the clearest POTY would suggest Harrison is doing his job.

Made great saves at Burton otherwise we would have been 3-0 at H/T.
Good save in injury time v Oxford and made sure Gills never pulled one back to give us a tough 20 minutes last week.

There are some who believe every cross is a keepers and heap ridiculous criticism on him. Yes it’s not his strongest point but to claim he is not good enough for a mid table L1 club is utter nonsense.

Agree. Do feel though that we need to work on this with the defence as well. There were two occasions on saturday where he should have come and collected. Even the punch was catchable and caused us more pressure. Criticism and feedback improves performance and every player should avoid being annoyed by it. We would be winning more games with a more assured back line. The goals on saturday were laughable really.

Agree. Do feel though that we need to work on this with the defence as well. There were two occasions on saturday where he should have come and collected. Even the punch was catchable and caused us more pressure. Criticism and feedback improves performance and every player should avoid being annoyed by it. We would be winning more games with a more assured back line. The goals on saturday were laughable really.

Like CP himself said I never like keepers as captains. I prefer a CB

So far this season I haven’t seen a leader at the back. How can a keeper that is reluctant to come off his line enspire as a captain in a team?

Probably why we have conceded around 13 goals from set pieces ( including throws) out of 18. We have only scored 2 from set pieces and none at RH

The games we have lost we have conceded a least one set piece Charlton, Shrews or even 2 v Donny, Luton and Posh

That’s why we’re mid table.

Edit: I am not blaming Oxley for the set pieces just saying I don’t see a Barrett or a Ferdinand giving the likes of Coker and Elvis the gee up or even the calm word they often need.

Last edited:
According to yesterday’s programme the Ox has scored 4 goals this season, 30 in total from 86 blue appearances. With a career total of 69. Good return for a keeper.

Not as good as Stockdale who has a career total of 118 goals. One of them for us.

I really must watch games more closely as apparently Ted Smith has scored 7 times for us as well.

If you read the small print you will see that for goalkeepers it refers to "clean sheets".

Whether people like to hear it or not, it's true Oxley has many flaws in his game. That's why I guess he's at league 1 level.

He does stay rooted to his line way, whether you want to admit it or not, he does! When he does have to deal with a cross he never looks confident and often flaps at the ball and tends to get away with a lot!

His communication with the back four is poor and that's being generous. Having sat behind the goal in the south upper for the past 15 years you tend to hear the keepers talking. Stockdale was very vocal but Oxley is like a mouse. It's vital to talk to your back four and help them out.

His kicking isn't terrible but isn't great either. I see him a lot boot the ball long without even looking at where's he aiming or if anyone's there. Anyone remember the amount of kicks on saturday that went straight to a Coventry head with no SUFC player anywhere near?

He's is a decent/ok shot stopper but one of my biggest cripes with him is him rarely ever catching the ball. He loves to push the ball away, very often straight back in the danger area. Anyone remember the two against Bristol City earlier this season when he did this? I've seen him do is countless times and we've been punished a few times but we've luckily got away with it many more times, so he's got a bit lucky there to be honest.

I'll be honest, I have never rated him that much and during the summer when everyone was so desperate to keep him I was a bit bemused. The fact that (according to RM) he's the top paid keeper in the league is a bit of a joke. Fair play to him but he's no where near the best keeper in the league.

Whether people like to hear it or not, it's true Oxley has many flaws in his game. That's why I guess he's at league 1 level.

He does stay rooted to his line way, whether you want to admit it or not, he does! When he does have to deal with a cross he never looks confident and often flaps at the ball and tends to get away with a lot!

His communication with the back four is poor and that's being generous. Having sat behind the goal in the south upper for the past 15 years you tend to hear the keepers talking. Stockdale was very vocal but Oxley is like a mouse. It's vital to talk to your back four and help them out.

His kicking isn't terrible but isn't great either. I see him a lot boot the ball long without even looking at where's he aiming or if anyone's there. Anyone remember the amount of kicks on saturday that went straight to a Coventry head with no SUFC player anywhere near?

He's is a decent/ok shot stopper but one of my biggest cripes with him is him rarely ever catching the ball. He loves to push the ball away, very often straight back in the danger area. Anyone remember the two against Bristol City earlier this season when he did this? I've seen him do is countless times and we've been punished a few times but we've luckily got away with it many more times, so he's got a bit lucky there to be honest.

I'll be honest, I have never rated him that much and during the summer when everyone was so desperate to keep him I was a bit bemused. The fact that (according to RM) he's the top paid keeper in the league is a bit of a joke. Fair play to him but he's no where near the best keeper in the league.

sorry mate but that’s a classic example of finding fault where it doesnt exist.

His kicking is 9/10 but without a number 9 on the pitch Cox and Theo are Never going to win headers.

If you mean the Brentford game, he made a brilliant save right on the line for the first and pushed the ball 30 yards for the second. The fact that none of our six players between goal and the ball fancied blocking the shot is not Oxleys fault.

Just like the first goal at Luton or the 3rd v Donny we don’t have a leader to either block or make sure bodies attack the ball.

I presume when people criticise Oxley for not coming off his line they are talking about crosses not through balls? He's made a number of decent stops coming off his line to the latter already this season.

I'm also curious as to what goals from crosses people blame Oxley for?

It's not like a Darryl scenario where we've been continually conceding headers inside the 6 yard box. I'm not even sure there's that much of a steep drop-off from Bentley when it comes to crosses.

I think the praise last season was over the top as is the criticism this season.

Back