• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wanted- one new goalkeeper!

I agree, there are far better all round keepers than Oxley in this League. He is tall and well built so should be coached to improve this side of his game....maybe it's Lee Harrison that is not doing his job in the coaching role?

......and a couple of rushing out diving at the feet blocks at Lut
I presume when people criticise Oxley for not coming off his line they are talking about crosses not through balls? He's made a number of decent stops coming off his line to the latter already this season.

I'm also curious as to what goals from crosses people blame Oxley for?

It's not like a Darryl scenario where we've been continually conceding headers inside the 6 yard box. I'm not even sure there's that much of a steep drop-off from Bentley when it comes to crosses.

I think the praise last season was over the top as is the criticism this season.

tbf....he has actually made some great saves rushing out, diving at peoples feet, Luton away i remember twice. It is the crosses we are all talking about and he really needs to help out the defence as quite honestly you expect a goal everytime.

......and a couple of rushing out diving at the feet blocks at Lut

tbf....he has actually made some great saves rushing out, diving at peoples feet, Luton away i remember twice. It is the crosses we are all talking about and he really needs to help out the defence as quite honestly you expect a goal everytime.

Which goals do you blame him for not coming for the cross?

Which goals do you blame him for not coming for the cross?
...the ones where the ball is bobbling about like Bagatelle when he should have cut it out 20 seconds earlier......released the ball up field to Robinson who controls it with one touch and bangs it into the back of the net!

...the ones where the ball is bobbling about like Bagatelle when he should have cut it out 20 seconds earlier......released the ball up field to Robinson who controls it with one touch and bangs it into the back of the net!
Magic mushroom time.

I presume when people criticise Oxley for not coming off his line they are talking about crosses not through balls? He's made a number of decent stops coming off his line to the latter already this season.

I'm also curious as to what goals from crosses people blame Oxley for?

It's not like a Darryl scenario where we've been continually conceding headers inside the 6 yard box. I'm not even sure there's that much of a steep drop-off from Bentley when it comes to crosses.

I think the praise last season was over the top as is the criticism this season.

Wiggy asked a reasonable question (albeit misguided in suggesting we need to dispose of Oxley) and enough people have offered their opinion that he needs to improve in terms of dealing with crosses. As do the defence.

It isnt a defence to say "blah blah well he would be in a higher league if he could take crosses. If he improves in that area then we get the best out of him and he eventually does move up to a higher league. He is still young and can and should improve on this".

Wiggy asked a reasonable question (albeit misguided in suggesting we need to dispose of Oxley) and enough people have offered their opinion that he needs to improve in terms of dealing with crosses. As do the defence.

It isnt a defence to say "blah blah well he would be in a higher league if he could take crosses. If he improves in that area then we get the best out of him and he eventually does move up to a higher league. He is still young and can and should improve on this".

Yes you have a point but a top shot stopper earns you far more points than the best cross catcher.

Yes you have a point but a top shot stopper earns you far more points than the best cross catcher.

Completely disagree. The difference between pro keepers has little to do with their shot stopping (they are basically all good at it so the difference between their agility and reflexes is minimal) but their reading of the game and their decision making. Those best at crosses are those who can read the game and make good, decisive decisions; that's what separates good from the great.

It's that decision making which is why Roycie played Premiership, that's why Federici was the best loanee keeper we've had (although his kicking was also good) and that's why Nick Pope was the best keeper we've seen at Roots Hall in the last decade and is now playing Premiership and for England. Now that may feed into shotstopping when it means they are better positioned to make a save that they wouldn't have if they hadn't anticipated the shot and already got in place but it's essentially the same process for crosses as shots in anticipating, positioning themselves accordingly and then reading the flight and pace of the ball.

Nobody is saying he’s a terrible goalkeeper or we should get rid of him, or at least they shouldn’t be, for one I’m pointing out his flaws, which was apparent yesterday and has been previously

I think Wiggy is (see thread title)!

All that moaning about our goalkeeper. Now look who will be playing in goal tonight. He's not agile enough, and his feet are like concrete blocks.

Large

All that moaning about our goalkeeper. Now look who will be playing in goal tonight. He's not agile enough, and his feet are like concrete blocks.

Large

I completely forgot about tonights game until I read that [this thread was already open on my browser]. Oh tomorrows 4:30 alarm is going to be a struggle.

I agree entirely, Oxley is only a shot-stopper, albeit a very good one, but not a goalkeeper in the fullest sense. We would look so much stronger at the back if we had the sort of keeper you describe.
......I'm thinking a decent shot stopper would have got both of those yesterday....not the keeper he was last year for some reason?

Rather than blaming Oxley shouldn’t we be learning a few lessons from Sunderland.

We did have our best 15 minutes, passing and possession wise, just before Coker was injured. Within 2 minutes of the re-start they dig out a ‘blind’ cross and with 2 defenders to beat....Something we never do.

Honeyman is on the move, just enough to win the header. The Ox wouldn’t got it even if he did dive so pointless trying to blame him.

Second goal was another lesson. We often don’t shoot and if we do the ball ends up in Fairfax Drive.

As for the 3rd, not for the first time this season a CB has allowed the ball to bounce.... Cardinal sin..... As often happens with decent teams they punish you for your mistakes... Rotherham or Wigan away last season anyone ?

One thing CP did get spot on was subbing Dru. He had been booked and was on a warning, what with Cattermole given a free from prosecution deal by Mr Lewis. Dru looked like he may get a red and had a limp.

We were never going to come back from 2-0 so take your medicine and make sure he starts at Barnsley.

.....that gets involved and cuts things out. Yes he makes some decent saves but has no intention of getting in the mix to stop things from happening. Time and time again he is rooted to his line and resembles bar football going left and right just waiting for someone to poke it in the net. Has to be said and just because he made some decent saves last year doesn’t help the defence this year by leaving it up to them to clear when it’s in his box.....dominant keeper required as the shot stopping is the easy bit.
We lose to the same type of goal every week because Oxley for all his size and arms advantage he bottles the crosses every week. Sorry but someone needs to replace him as for the points his shot stopping won us last year, his inability to get involved for crosses is gonna cost us dear this year. Feel sorry for the outfield players with all there hard work and effort, he only does half a job!

We lose to the same type of goal every week because Oxley for all his size and arms advantage he bottles the crosses every week. Sorry but someone needs to replace him as for the points his shot stopping won us last year, his inability to get involved for crosses is gonna cost us dear this year. Feel sorry for the outfield players with all there hard work and effort, he only does half a job!
But no mention of the countless chances the outfield players miss week after week.

Did we get beat last weekend by a cross that he failed to cut out ? No

Did we get beat by Coventry due to a cross that he failed to cut out? No

Did he keep us in the games against Walsall that gave us 3 points? Yes..

Your personal grievance against Oxley doesn't add up.

Did we get beat last weekend by a cross that he failed to cut out ? No

Did we get beat by Coventry due to a cross that he failed to cut out? No

Did he keep us in the games against Walsall that gave us 3 points? Yes..

Your personal grievance against Oxley doesn't add up.
It is certainly not a grievance, just an observation that others on here can see but you can’t.....he does not leave that goaline every week and is extremely worrying....especially now we are light up front!

Back