• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Juggler90

Youth Team
It occurred to me the other night that when I hear the name of other teams, I almost always have some kind of emotion attached to that team. And when I try to think why that is, I often don't know. There's obviously local rivalries etc and we all feel the usual disdain for Col U, Borient etc but Swansea for example, I have nothing but like for. And I don't know if this is because of that great day at the Liberty or if there is something between our clubs but I seem to remember when I got to the Liberty that day, someone had told me that us and Swansea as clubs are old friends. Same for Southampton which I put down to a great away day and when their fans were very generous in their recognition of the Blue following, but again, something tells me it's more than this and we have an affiliation with the Saints from before this. Are some clubs friends and others not?

And for some reason, I don't like Bristol Rovers. I'm sure they're a great, inoffensive club but something must have happened for me not to like them. I remember my first ever game was against Rotherham and so whenever I see Rotherham, it reminds me of my grandad (RIP) and for that, I always have a smile for them.

Just me? Or do we all have a little like/dislike for other clubs and can't always put our finger on why or is it usually down to one game/experience of their fans?

I can't wait to beat Bristol Rovers!

Know what you mean and I think it is down to your own history with a particular club ! I despise Aldershot for their 'convenient' problem with their lights, but harbour softer feelings for Accrington, whose pitch was unplayable whilst a nearby park pitch was absolutely fine. Southampton is a good call but I don't recall us having any previous prior to our two relegation games. Equally I enjoy going to Yeovil, (Even though it always rains) and Northampton, but that might just be due to the canal side pub !

A good thread. For me I absolutely can't stand Crystal Palace. I actively seek out their results and will be thoroughly satisfied if they go straight back down. It all stems from the friendly we played them at Roots Hall in the early/mid 80's. The attendance was only a couple of thousand but a few hundred Palace fans roamed around the ground picking fights and mugging Southend fans. Will never forgive them!!!

My affection is not for another team but for a stadium. I really miss Layer Road. I've got so many great memories of clashes between them and us over the years ...... but look forward to renewing that affection with their new place next season!

Deffo a love in for Southampton, I have a fair few dislikes, I hate brighton for example and I mean hate. A lot depends on players.....Northampton for example I actually used to like seeing something as large as akinfenwa play footy. I hate Accrington for that called off game that led to me being dragged to Blackburn v newcastle and watching a **** nil nil, I'm not blaming them for the weather but next to accringtons ground there was a pitch in good nick about to be played on by amateurs? ?????? I cant go further without the absolute hatred I feel for spurs........i genuinely wish every week they lose, never come across such over inflated self reckoning. I often like players rather than teams, Dalglish, brooking, plattini, rush, shearer for a few examples of non sufc heroes

I have a lot of clubs which I quite like, until we play them I then I seem to hate them all with a passion. Plymouth obviously a recent good example, I've had a couple of great trips, generally like them as a town and a club, but two weeks ago that all changed.

DoDtS

I have a lot of clubs which I quite like, until we play them I then I seem to hate them all with a passion. Plymouth obviously a recent good example, I've had a couple of great trips, generally like them as a town and a club, but two weeks ago that all changed.

DoDtS

I'm exactly the same! ATM I really hate Rotherham because Steve Evans is their boss! I can't stand that scum bag so I always hope they lose, just like I did with Crawley,

Totally agree, I have a soft spot for Swansea. I think its the fact that we had a rivalry for a few seasons, and then they have shown that a well run club can make it to the premierdonnaship.

Dislike Orient a lot more than Col Ewe for some reason. Dislike the "new" league clubs that have just had money thrown at them, such as Crawley, Fleetwood etc.

Also hate Spurs, jumped up bunch of little *****. This might have something to do with my gooner upbringing though :blush:

I'm exactly the same! ATM I really hate Rotherham because Steve Evans is their boss! I can't stand that scum bag so I always hope they lose, just like I did with Crawley,

Yes, definitely agree with that. Likes - as others have said, Swansea, Southampton. Also sneaking affection for AFC, Peterborough and Norwich for various reasons. Used to like Gillingham years back but not at all now! Dislikes - the obvious, Colchester, Orient, West Ham and Gillingham. Crawley, Fleetwood, Rotherham, Bradford.

Last edited:
Can't say that I "hate" any other team ........ some dislike perhaps but in general it is more of a feeling of apathy towards a number clubs that I find boring or dull.

The Leeds fans I have met have been a mixed bunch - some okay but some very unpleasant "people" as well so they are not favourites.

I find Man U, West Ham and Sunderland (for some reason) dull.

I take no significant interest in Colchester - for much of the time they were a non-league team and I would have more understanding for a "rivalry" with Brentwood or Canvey Island.

But then I will warm to a team if they have an ex-player there - so at the moment I am interested to see what happens to Coventry, I like to see if Peter Clarke is still playing at Huddersfield and I followed Hyde and Dartford a little last season. :thumbsup:

And I have a quiet feeling of respect for teams like Accy and Morecambe for managing to get up into the football league on limited resources - much more interesting than the "big spenders" that so many "plastic" fans follow.

Completely agree that a bad experience against a team will form how you view them in the future. I remember coming out of West Brom away (Matt Harrold equaliser) and getting threatened and sworn at by a gang of brummy skin heads just because I happened to be wearing a Southend shirt. I know you shouldn't tar all with the same brush, but never been too fond of them since.

Quite like the Daggers nice club and found their fans ok,always seemed welcome when we go there,also like Charlton,Wycombe,Brentford and Southampton,and teams I dislike are Borient and Wet spam(spit)silly I know but there you are.

Really don't like Norwich as a couple of years ago after they had just won premotion from div one they were debating on radio Norfolk about having a open top bus through the town to celebrate. But the general concensus was that it was only div one and they were after all the high and mighty Norwich that belonged in the premiership ... so wouldn't it be a bit demeening to have one. I couldn't beleive my ears at the sanctimonious twaddle fron ego inflated pillocks that were phoning in. The fact that they are now in the premiership really sticks in my claw and I will celebrate they day they drop down to Division one again where their tin pot little shed of a ground deserves.:angry:

I personally hate Sunderland as I was punched in the back of the head by a Sunderland fan as I was getting into the car after we had lost 4-0... Then the police refused to even speak to us when my dad tried to talk to them in the street... Scum.

Will always remember when working in the city must have been mid seventies and going out for a coffee and having a coach load of Leeds supporters on their way back from a losing to Bayen Munich in the European cup final. Quite what they were doing in the middle of London I do not know, but I will never forget the dogs abuse I got for just walking on the pavement, in a suit and happening to look up at them. They were literally animals and as I scanned the rows of seats I was taken aback at the similarity in all of thier snarling faces. I just had the horrible feeling that the slightest defiance on my face would sent a stampede out of the emergency exit in my direction. I think probably my most scariest football related incident.

I personally hate Sunderland as I was punched in the back of the head by a Sunderland fan as I was getting into the car after we had lost 4-0... Then the police refused to even speak to us when my dad tried to talk to them in the street... Scum.

I remember that game ....... we were lucky to be awarding "0" as Sunderland dominated the game from start to end.

One of those "just get home" games. :sad:

I have found myself harbouring quite a dislike for Peterborough recently. Think it's because they got lucky with a rich owner and now can spend nillions on players when in reality they are quite tinpot and definitely a smaller club than us.

I remember that game ....... we were lucky to be awarding "0" as Sunderland dominated the game from start to end.

One of those "just get home" games. :sad:

I lost half a tank of diesel through a fuel pipe coming loose on the way down, and hit a deer at two in the morning 30 miles from home on the way back costing £1500 in repairs. Not my favourite away day. But I still have fond feelings for the Black Cats. Any team which let us win four successive times at their stadium can't be all bad.

The only positive from that game was making the home fans laugh and applaud at our plucky half time chant of "4-3, we're gonna win 4-3..."

:sad:

Back