• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

IloveShrimp

Director⭐
Was anyone else peed off with BBC Essex on Saturday?

Could not believe that BBC Essex played so much coverage about the Colchester game after our match on saturday even though their game was played the night before.

We in the shrimpmobile drove all the way from Roots Hall to home in Rayleigh, in all that time it was Col U's manager spouting on and on. We turned the radio off and on all the way home in the hope that we would get rid of him... but nope he was still there as we pulled up on the drive of iloveshrimp mansions.

The producer at BBC Essex needs to consider

A) How many Col U fans would be listening after a Southend game - not many I would guess
B) How many Southend fans would want to listen to Col U drivel whilst travelling home- very very few I would think

Could not believe that BBC Essex played so much coverage about the Colchester game after our match on saturday even though their game was played the night before.

We in the shrimpmobile drove all the way from Roots Hall to home in Rayleigh, in all that time it was Col U's manager spouting on and on. We turned the radio off and on all the way home in the hope that we would get rid of him... but nope he was still there as we pulled up on the drive of iloveshrimp mansions.

A) How many Col U fans would be listening after a Southend game - not many I would guess
B) How many Southend fans would want to listen to Col U drivel whilst travelling home- very very few I would think

Harsh.

We heard from Paul Clark but you can't play interviews until someone comes and gives them.

They had their usual hour to fill and the novelty of Col U winning away from home the evening before meant they had a pre recorded interview to fit in early before ours. We had no less coverage than usual. Brown got his chance to blame the officials for the defeat.

Yeah, I have to agree with others, they didn't really have much to report on locally.

Just Paul Clarke's post match comments, and a brief commentary on the East Thurrock V Aldershot game, and wait for Phil and Turner to emerge for post match interviews. They did invite callers to tweet or call in, but hardly anyone did, so they had to fill the slot by sadly reporting on the Col Ewe game until 6pm.

The thing that really wound me up, was when the 1st guy called up, and Stuart Smith immediately blamed the defeat on Ranger. Him and Speller have definitely got something against Nile. Luckily the caller put him straight.

Yep, Smith hates Ranger. Whenever he comes on as a sub, they immediately start laying into him.

Thankfully, Nick Alliker is back most games now. Him and Clarky are a breath of fresh air, although I don't mind Glenn Pennyfather, in truth.

BBC Essex just need to lose all the needless score updates. No problem with Essex matches, but the constant scores from other matches in our division and the Premier League intrude way too much on the match commentary. Who cares that Rochdale have equalized at Northampton!

The show didn't take it's usual format and Stuart Smith I'm afraid is a poor broadcaster for the sports show. It was amateurish at times; long gaps of silence, clear periods where he didn't know what to say and at the end got his words completely mixed up (can't remember what it was but it sounded like it was his first day on the job, which obviously it wasn't). They seemed to focus on Thurrock and Canvey more than Southend.

As someone old enough to remember a time when the only way to find out scores of a game one didn't attend was to wait for the arrival of next day's newspaper and hope they had printed the results in very small type somewhere near the back, I think one should be grateful for any coverage on the radio, however "amateurish" some may occasionally deem it to be.

The fact is once (and sometimes twice) a week BBC Essex devotes three or four hours airtime and an entire wavelength to something that, realistically, can only be of interest to a few thousand listeners in the county.

On the whole I think we should really be grateful for what we get, it could be a lot worse.

The BBC Essex commentary is awful! Very rarely do you actually get any action described to you, it's just 2/3 guys having a chat and it ends up being punditry, not commentary.

I don't care that the goalkeeper is shaven headed and wearing all orange and white boots, describe the game to me!!

^
This. Very much, this.

Commentators need to consider that we are effectively blind listeners and want the action described to us.

Too often they're nattering on like a couple of fishwives about the roadworks on the way here or how Scott Scottison in midfield for them used to play for Col Ewe and then suddenly, the ball is in our box and we have no idea how it got there.

As someone old enough to remember a time when the only way to find out scores of a game one didn't attend was to wait for the arrival of next day's newspaper and hope they had printed the results in very small type somewhere near the back, I think one should be grateful for any coverage on the radio, however "amateurish" some may occasionally deem it to be.

The fact is once (and sometimes twice) a week BBC Essex devotes three or four hours airtime and an entire wavelength to something that, realistically, can only be of interest to a few thousand listeners in the county.

On the whole I think we should really be grateful for what we get, it could be a lot worse.

Good point 'seenyeva'.

The key is it could a hundred times better, though.

All a commentator needs to do is call the game. The punditry, latest scores and everything else, can wait until half-time.

Didn't hear the bit about Ranger. I just got really pigged off with the guy who phoned in and just ranted on about Timlin. I wondered whether he had actually gone to the game. Yes he has his faults but I thought he had quite a decent game on Saturday

Personally,now that ifollow have stopped (since the Oldham home game) allowing the simultaneous streaming of both video and audio content,I've been waiting for the club to announce their own commentary service.Not with bated breath though-as I've already written to the commercial/media department about this-so far without reply.Some clubs eg Fulham already provide this service.

Can't say I miss the BBC Essex match commentary too much,for many of the reasons described above.However, I still tune in to their pre and post match coverage when I can.

To be fair, I think the comms when NA and PC are on is pretty good. GP has done a good job filling in for PC when he's not been there. None of the other commentators are anything special TBH.

The BBC Essex commentary is awful! Very rarely do you actually get any action described to you, it's just 2/3 guys having a chat and it ends up being punditry, not commentary.

I don't care that the goalkeeper is shaven headed and wearing all orange and white boots, describe the game to me!!

Gosh you would have hated Henry Blowers on cricket, describing the pigeons circling the outfield, or the delightful Victoria sponge from Mrs Lewis in Dorset, or Mexican wave around Lords as one or two elderly rhubarb and custards attempted to raise their arms in time

Priceless commentary sometimes better than the matches

UTS

Big difference though 'Blue' is that Blowers did it when the ball wasn't in play.

Last edited:
Didn't hear the bit about Ranger. I just got really pigged off with the guy who phoned in and just ranted on about Timlin. I wondered whether he had actually gone to the game. Yes he has his faults but I thought he had quite a decent game on Saturday

Yes, I heard this too. This so called supporter reckoned he was speaking on behalf of all fans saying that Timlin shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the first team. What a to$$er.

Yes, I heard this too. This so called supporter reckoned he was speaking on behalf of all fans saying that Timlin shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the first team. What a to$$er.

I know that everyone is intitled to their opinion but cant understand why there is an anti Timlin fealing currently going on at the moment.Yes he might not be the best player but he certainly gives is all for the badge unlike some others

Back