• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Was Atkinson's rec justified?

• I was there, yes it was.

Votes: 23 12.4%
  • I was there, no it wasn't.

Votes: 55 29.7%
  • Saw it on TV, yes it was.

Votes: 51 27.6%
  • Saw it on TV, no it wasn't.

Votes: 56 30.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
At the match I thought it was a harsh decision but seeing the incident again on TV I can see why the referee issued a red card. I still think we should have had at least one penalty though.

At the match I thought it was a harsh decision but seeing the incident again on TV I can see why the referee issued a red card. I still think we should have had at least one penalty though.

Agreed. I'm not arguing because I think it was a real bad decision. More a general point about what should really be a sending off offence.

Is this the challenge you mean (0:50 in)? :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsaRaj-g_0Y

That's the one. They don't show the ground Will covered to make the challenge in the first place because he had no right to get there but he did and it set up one of the moves of the match.

Just the sort of tackle that Neil Harris would point out in a team meeting and remind his players to make the most of.

Funny that a week ago against Scunthorpe when Bishop merely tapped Demetriou's ankle, many Blues fans were screaming for a red card and then up in arms when it was rescinded.

Yesterday's incident was totally different. Will goes in hard with his studs high. The referee deems his tackle is over the top and with force, which is a red card IMHO.

Yep, red card. Crap control, ball went across him and he lunged in after it. You cant expect much more given where you are (Millwall away) where it was on the pitch (near the halfway line) and right in front of the Dockers stand. Add in an ex-Prem ref and a Millwall team that would be only too pleased to roll around on the ground, no chance of any other outcome. Use the brain please Atko. We'll miss him for the 3 games. (It could have been a yellow, but for the reasons above!)

The only reason his foot is up is because the ball is off of the floor - it's not like he has gone over the top of it to hurt someone. I count two frames @50fps on YouTube between their player clearing it and Atkinson's contact with him, so if we're generous to the ref he's about a tenth of a second late. Those who follow these things more anally can pronounce on whether that's a red by technical application of the rules, but the fact that it was given as such makes me want to weep for the way the physical side of the game is being lost.

Defeat yesterday in a tricky game which could so easily have panned out differently shouldn't detract from just how well we've been doing on the whole. Onwards to Tuesday and UTB.

Slo-mo'd the tackle and the more I see it, the more I'm not convinced it was that reckless.

One thing is for sure, Will doesn't touch Craig's left leg, at all, yet it's that one he rolls around clasping.

He certainly helped a dodgy ref make the decision for them!

Still not a red card. The fact that Mariner instantly produced his card far from being compelling is the opposite as given the majority believe it wasn't a red card, including Neil Harris, you might have thought that a referee of any standing might have wanted to at least give it some careful consideration..

I think here that great umpire Dickie Bird had it right..when talking about LBWs he said I think long and hard if I can think of a reason why it was not out, if I can't think of one then out it is. If Mariner had calmed down and followed the same approach he would have come on many reasons why a yellow card was the correct option (many of which are covered in Rigsby's post).

Time after time we see referees bottling giving a second yellow including yesterday when one of Millwall's players already on a yellow kicked out. Yet here its a case of not a moment's thought...

On the other hand he must still be trying to think of a reason why he failed to give the penalty this evening.

Never a red card, Neil Harris, Phil Brown and Paul Clark also all agree, three very experienced former professional footballers who also know the rules. Some referee's are ruining the game, it's an entertainment business and I like to watch the full cast when I've paid good money. Their attitude should be 'is there anyway I can keep this player on the field' rather than rushing to judgement and spoiling the game. In this instance a booking would have been the sensible course of action.

Having watched the replay quite a few times and slowing it down, I can see why a red was given. The foot was high and the pace of the tackle suggested a lack of control. The referee is an excellent position to see it. I think a yellow would have been the common sense decision to make but I can't see it being overturned.

cE3TUH0.gif

I am guessing that the people who weren't there and have watched it on line/TV have seen it more than once, maybe in slow motion etc. And the number for/against a pen is very similar. Factor in our natural bias and the 'yes it was a pen' figure looks even stronger. In other words I don't really see how we can complain too much , when close to half of us thought it was a fair decision.

The penalty shouts are a different matter

Can see why the red was given in this day and age but the McG pen was either that or a booking for simulation (all based on the Sky snippet, I wasn't there).

But given the standard of refereeing this season I am reminded of two quotations about critics which seem to apply to a lot of refs.

1) Brendan Behan: "Critics are like eunuchs in a harem. They are their every night, see it done every night, but can't do it themselves."
2) Roger Moore (and others): "Those that can, do; those that can't, teach; those that can do neither become critics."

For what it's worth Mariner is a **** in any game I have seen. UTB!

Back