• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

tommy tucker

Manager
Now I have seen it live yesterday I have watched it on TV three times and in my veiw the ball camr off there keeper billy had a defender in line with him .He reacted quickest and in my view the goal was good .But what do you think .And it was stated the he ran staight from the pitch after the game because he was under orders to get back to his sick bed as he still hadnt shaken off his illness fully .

Now I have seen it live yesterday I have watched it on TV three times and in my veiw the ball camr off there keeper billy had a defender in line with him .He reacted quickest and in my view the goal was good .But what do you think .And it was stated the he ran staight from the pitch after the game because he was under orders to get back to his sick bed as he still hadnt shaken off his illness fully .

He needed a dump.

To avoid any naughtiness which he normally finds himself in after the game!

The club need to invest in decent corner flags as if they fall apart that easily, kicked or not, they could do somebody a serious injury.

No, didn't think so at the time, said so in my match summary and even more convinced after seeing highlights.

No. He might have been after it came off the keeper but that doesn't matter. Hall hit it from a good 25 yards so no way was he offside.

No. He might have been after it came off the keeper but that doesn't matter. Hall hit it from a good 25 yards so no way was he offside.
I was level with him and thought he was off at the time, but after wearing out the pause button (not for the first time) on the remote he looks level. Hard one for the lino.....

Well is shouldnt be hard for the lino thought if there was any element of doubt they were meant to favour the attacker and that never ever happens.

Lino was prob so used to flagging for offside anyway. Harris would have torn apart that high line of defenders I'd imagine.

I was level with him and thought he was off at the time, but after wearing out the pause button (not for the first time) on the remote he looks level. Hard one for the lino.....

i did the same with the pause button, at first I was sure he was on side, i then did it frame by frame , and now i,m not sure one way or the other it is that close.

what I will say is that he was offside so many times during the match, despite being the widest man and only having to look one way, for both he ball and to see if he is off sode of not----how bloody difficult is it!

Benefit of the doubt should go to the attacking team

Which Law is that ?

I thought it was offside at the time and immediately looked at the lino and was not a bit surprised to see the flag.

I also paused the playback a couple of times. Mohsni makes his move just as Hall is poised to shoot and he looks offside; certainly his head and upper torso, if not his feet, look offside. If you pause it, look at the shadows as well.

I'd say that was a good close call from the lino.

Which Law is that ?

I thought it was offside at the time and immediately looked at the lino and was not a bit surprised to see the flag.

I also paused the playback a couple of times. Mohsni makes his move just as Hall is poised to shoot and he looks offside; certainly his head and upper torso, if not his feet, look offside. If you pause it, look at the shadows as well.

I'd say that was a goodcorrect close call from the lino.

:winking: :'(

Which Law is that ?

I knew I had heard it somewhere, and a quick search for linesman directives I found:

Attention is drawn to the following decisions made at the 2nd UEFA Seminar for international assistant referees (in 2003) for the benefit of international football in Europe by adopting a standard approach in the performances of assistant referees.

Offside

1. It was noted that there had been no changes in the offside law for the season 2002/03, nor any extra IFAB or FIFA directives.

2. If an assistant referee is not totally sure about an offside offence the flag should not be raised (i.e. in case of doubt benefit must be given to the attacking team).

So by point 2 (if that is actually inforced as the TV pundits seem to believe - although they may be wrong!) I don't see how a lino can ever be sure about a decision that was that close - unless he wasn't looking properly.

Which Law is that ?

I'd say that was a good close call from the lino.

Rather a pernickity thing for the lino to go on. Either he's offside or he's not, you can't have half of him being offside. If both his feet at the most were offside then fair I suppose he a headstart when there's a ball through the middle or over the top. But where does he gain an advantage from by having an arm, a leg, his head or his torso 'offside'. It really should be black and white.

Rather a pernickity thing for the lino to go on. Either he's offside or he's not, you can't have half of him being offside. If both his feet at the most were offside then fair I suppose he a headstart when there's a ball through the middle or over the top. But where does he gain an advantage from by having an arm, a leg, his head or his torso 'offside'. It really should be black and white.
that is the law of the game:
Gaining an advantage by being in an offside positionPlaying the ball after the ball has rebounded off the goal, the goalkeeper, or any opponent[SUP][3][/SUP]Since offside is judged at the time the ball is touched or played by a team-mate, not when the player receives the ball, it is possible for a player to receive the ball significantly past the second-to-last defender, or even the last defender (typically the goalkeeper).
Determining whether a player is in "active play" can be complex. FIFA issued new guidelines for interpreting the offside law in 2003 and these were incorporated in Law XI in July 2005. The new wording seeks to define the three cases more precisely.
Controversy regarding offside decisions often arises from assessment of what movements a player in an offside position can make without being judged to be interfering with an opponent. Bill Shankly made a famous quote: "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain an advantage, then he should be!" This quote exemplifies why IFAB had to clarify what "gaining an advantage" means, as referees all over the world were considering almost anything as an advantage.

It is black and white. If any part of him that could legally play the ball is offside, he's offside. So, an outstretched arm is okay, a protruding head or leg is not.

Back