• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Always a Shrimper

Schoolboy
Brown came in having 7 games to look at the team we had this season and highlight the problems. And there are many, as the team have been in relegation form for months now. If we had somehow got into the playoffs and got promoted I think some of the weaknesses of the team might have been glossed over in the short team. As a result, next year in league one could have meant us coming back straight back down.

Now, having had the extra time, Phil Brown can clear out the dead wood, bring in hopefully better players, who will link in well with the bare bones of a good team we already have.

I have been impressed with his vision for the club and am looking foward to 2013/2014 with renewed interest. :loyalsupporter:

It wolud have been a good thing if we had gone out the LDV in the first round on all fronts except financial. Cannot say the same for the league.

This season has been very disappointing on many fronts with the poor home league record of just 6 wins out of 22
resulting in us not getting promotion. But for me personally even though we lost seeing us play in a Wembley
final after ultimately loving both games against the O's meant the cup run was the highlight of our season.
Would we have gone up if we had gone put of the cup earlier maybe but possibly not and we will never know
that for sure ?.
I was not happy about the timing of our managerial change but it has happen now so time to back Brown
and I will judge whether he was a good appointment at a latter date.

UTB

Brown came in having 7 games to look at the team we had this season and highlight the problems. And there are many, as the team have been in relegation form for months now. If we had somehow got into the playoffs and got promoted I think some of the weaknesses of the team might have been glossed over in the short team. As a result, next year in league one could have meant us coming back straight back down.

Now, having had the extra time, Phil Brown can clear out the dead wood, bring in hopefully better players, who will link in well with the bare bones of a good team we already have.

I have been impressed with his vision for the club and am looking foward to 2013/2014 with renewed interest. :loyalsupporter:

In some aspect I see where your coming from, however the same players would have been under or out of contract regardless of whether we got promoted. Brown would have been able to shape the squad in the same way

Can't build any worse of a side that Sturrock built - the same team that you are judging Brown on!!!!

The guy deserves time to build his side, just him at Xmas.

Not sure how anyone can be impressed with Brown, he has done nothing since coming here.

Not judging him until he has time to bring in new players though.

To be fair he's trying to keep the ball down and play with a group of players who are used to playing hoof ball.

New squad for next season....I'm still very much 50/50 as to if he will be successful or not though.

To be fair he's trying to keep the ball down and play with a group of players who are used to playing hoof ball.

New squad for next season....I'm still very much 50/50 as to if he will be successful or not though.

I don't get that bollocks..these are professional footballers supposedly who get paid to do a job, they should be able to adapt at a moments notice to playing a different system..They are not China Dolls that have to be treated with a gentle hand FFS.

I don't get that bollocks..these are professional footballers supposedly who get paid to do a job, they should be able to adapt at a moments notice to playing a different system..They are not China Dolls that have to be treated with a gentle hand FFS.

It's not bollocks. All because a player is lucky enough to make it pro, doesn't mean he is technically gifted...some players use their physical attributes to play at this level a lot more than their technical attributes.

Nothing to do with treating them like china dolls either,they were signed by Sturrock for their pace/power and to win games the way he wanted to. The majority are simply unable to play quick passing football (for various reasons....touch not good enough, both feet not good enough, don't deal with the ball well under pressure etc) and after what he's seen, Phil Brown will be getting rid of most of these players. Will these players never play pro football again? Of course they will, but just in another team who play hoof ball.

The idea some people have that all professional footballers can play any style of football at this level is incredibly naive.

Can you please explain what his vision for the club actually is? (no buzz words or tired clichés allowed)....

I thought plenty of people were moaning that Freddy hadn't been given a chance under Sturrock - Brown has played him.
I thought plenty of people wanted Bentley to get some games under his belt - apart from today , Brown has put him in.
I thought plenty of people wanted us to 'try' to play a different style of football - it hasn't worked wonderfully well , but Brown has tried to make some changes to the formation / style.
He has inherited everything and has not had any opportunity to change the personnel so far.
I'm far from convinced by him , but give the guy a chance !!!

Back