• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Was it a PEN?

i sit right behind the goal in the south upper and straight away thought it should be a penalty. It looked like the ref gave it at first aswell, i'm sure he pointed to the spot! Not sure if it was the lino who gave the push?

Oh a Leeds. Hilarious, seriously. Give up the day job for a career in comedy.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

From my view in the east greens, I thought it was definately Francis' hand, but I was adament that he was pushed first.

Not for one millisecond did I think that the ref had given a pen, however, I have seen them given before.

I also agree that it was never a free kick that they scored from, so I guess its honour's even.

I bet Dennis Wise never mentioned that did he, jumped up little ****.

Freekick was harsh for their goal, but my opinion is (it was my job) is that the referee felt his beeper or buzzer go on his arm and assumed the assistant was flagging for a penalty which confirmed to him that he thought it was a penalty. He blew up and pointed to the spot, it was at this time that the assistant stopped flagging and signalled to the referee which team to award the kick to and he signalled for a southend free kick for a push on francis and the referee
changed his decision. He should have probably have consulted his linesman before this though and that is what i think infuriated the players and Wisey.

If it was a penalty it evens up the blatant penalty we were denied in the last minute at Stoke.

I, however, had a perfect view of the 'foul' for the free-kick that led to the goal. I would say there was no contact and Healy went down very easily. I think the guilty looking grin on Healy's face after the goal pretty much summed up what he'd 'achieved'.

at the time i thought it was a pen, just watched the championship and still believe it was a penalty... however on the grand scheme of things it probably evens itself out.. we have had some tough luck where i think leeds are just sh*te and so in the end... BOVVERED!

I was convinced the ref would point to the spot when I saw the incident. Fair play to him fro not leaning over backwards for the 'big club'. It was never a free-kick for their equaliser. More to the point I think the ref should have booked Elliott for ungentlemanly conduct for so blatantly moving the ball for the free-kick, rather than just make him put it back. This would have bbeen Elliott's second yellow.

At the time I thought it was a leeds player who handballed, seeing it on TV it was definitely Francis.

I did then think it was a penalty until watching it again and I can see why it wasnt given as Francis does look like he was pushed.

. More to the point I think the ref should have booked Elliott for ungentlemanly conduct for so blatantly moving the ball for the free-kick, rather than just make him put it back. This would have bbeen Elliott's second yellow.

If people were booked for moving the ball for free kicks, or trying to take throw ins further up the pitch then each game would only end up with 6 aside !

Last edited:
At the time I thought it was a leeds player who handballed, seeing it on TV it was definitely Francis.

I did then think it was a penalty until watching it again and I can see why it wasnt given as Francis does look like he was pushed.

If people were booked for moving the ball for free kicks, or trying to take throw ins further up the pitch then each game would only end up with 6 aside !

The issue is he blatantly moved it about three yards to the left, which was taking the pi$$, as opposed to moving it be six inches to a foot, which is the norm.

I was convinced the ref would point to the spot when I saw the incident. Fair play to him fro not leaning over backwards for the 'big club'. It was never a free-kick for their equaliser. More to the point I think the ref should have booked Elliott for ungentlemanly conduct for so blatantly moving the ball for the free-kick, rather than just make him put it back. This would have bbeen Elliott's second yellow.

I recall in the match against Orient 2 years ago, Maher was awarded a free kick to one side of the oppo's goal. The ref made him put it back a yard or two and when his back was turned to sort out the other players, Maher picked it up and put it back where it was. The ref never noticed and the free kick was taken where Maher wanted it taken from. Very amusing. Shame we lost 1-0 though.

I feel the referee was looking for something to level up the decisions, and make amends for the fact that they scored from a free-kick which should never have been given in the first place. I must say, my initial reaction was that it came off a Leeds hand, but on further TV inspection, it was Francis.

From my admittedly poor vantage point in the East Yellows I saw what I thought was a Leeds arm flap at the ball. I missed the Championship yesterday so wasn't able to see if it was as clear as everyone's claiming. Ref appears to have been certain that there was an earlier push on Francis in any case. Still it's a good job we weren't in Hillsborough isn't it?

P.S. I'm interested to know where Tilly was supposed to have said the ref "bottled" the decision as claimed by an earlier poster.

Back