• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Was Molesley the wrong choice?

The general consensus from that thread was that Sturrock didn't have as hard a job as Molesley and Sturrock probably isn't applying for many jobs at this stage in his life either, with that he mind it's hard to say Sturrock could've done better because it's just not a possibility.

If its not one thing its the other. If we brought in an experienced manager we'd be saying we need an up and coming manager. I think we'd be having the same conversation just from a different perspective.
I agree that its subjective, and that sturrocks time while far from easy was easier then MM's. I do feel like sturrock would set them up better for league 2 and wouldnt stand for less then 100%.

But then we'd probably all be moaning about playing route 1 and being only mid table and being a side of just l2 journeymen and boring football ?

I guess what i was getting at is i think a more experienced head would have been a more sensible appointment.

But Mm doesnt strike me as a quitter, This league seems extremely poor so i havent given up hope that we can start grinding out enough points to retain our league status. For me he needs to settle on a formation, more signings, and try his best to turn a bunch of losers into winners with motivation, and maybe seek advice from more experienced colleagues.

That was just me speculating, trying to remain positive. I just can't see Ron or MM letting the current situation drag on with no goal threat, or a player capable of holding the ball up. Time will tell.

Thanks for that. I share your view about MM although I was originally hoping Craig Fagan bore the appointment process was finalised. I was just wondering if Paul McCallum (Dagenham) could do a job for us. At 6' 3" and at 27 years of age, McCallum might be able to do a good job for us. But he only signed a three-year contract in August so that looks unlikely because a fee would have to be involved in any move from Dagenham.

I agree that its subjective, and that sturrocks time while far from easy was easier then MM's. I do feel like sturrock would set them up better for league 2 and wouldnt stand for less then 100%.

But then we'd probably all be moaning about playing route 1 and being only mid table and being a side of just l2 journeymen and boring football ?

I guess what i was getting at is i think a more experienced head would have been a more sensible appointment.

But Mm doesnt strike me as a quitter, This league seems extremely poor so i havent given up hope that we can start grinding out enough points to retain our league status. For me he needs to settle on a formation, more signings, and try his best to turn a bunch of losers into winners with motivation, and maybe seek advice from more experienced colleagues.

We'd be moaning that the only reason we have Blair Sturrock is because his Dad's the boss and such.

To be honest when McGreal's was mentioned I thought that's our man. I can't remember what the reaction was for others, I'm sure it very was mixed. But I was excited for that. If you look at the final three who were in the running, none of them had league experience and arguably the favourite, Fagan had no managerial experience. If only you could sit in on the interviews...

White, McCormack and currently Akinola will be the spine of this team. I'd like another forward but until those are player we won't see the best of this squad.

It’s encouraging to read the above. I’ve missed the last 2 games but have read mainly negative stuff about our performances. If, yes it’s a big if, we can get a striker in who can be effective...whether that’s Akinola or someone else with him, we might just be able to creep above a couple of the teams above us who by the sounds of it, are almost as poor as we’ve been. Once we get that first win it could really make a difference to our confidence levels and we might start taking more risks and being more ambitious. We weren’t far from beating Exeter or getting a point vs Oldham..small margins. For what it’s worth I think MM will learn from all these defeats and it’s vital we stick with him.

Can we please stop with the snidey little pops at each other on this thread (particularly @mfurok and @OllieSteph44) and @Rayleigh boy please try to move on from Sol Campbell. He is nothing whatsoever to do with Southend United currently, which is what Chit Chat is all about. If you wish to bang on endlessly please do so in the Ex-Shrimpers forum where nobody will hear you.

In fairness if it's the same video I've seen you'll **** yourself. I give my u8s better coaching

Three static defenders on the edge of their own box taking turns to lump it forward towards the opposite goal, where the entire rest of the squad are standing around waiting. No formation, no opposition & no movement. Whoever is nearest the ball when it drops out of the sky controls it unopposed, before shooting.

In essence, it’s the type of thing you’d expect to see during a hungover men’s team warm-up on a cold Sunday morning.

Thanks for that. I share your view about MM although I was originally hoping Craig Fagan bore the appointment process was finalised. I was just wondering if Paul McCallum (Dagenham) could do a job for us. At 6' 3" and at 27 years of age, McCallum might be able to do a good job for us. But he only signed a three-year contract in August so that looks unlikely because a fee would have to be involved in any move from Dagenham.

Dagenham and Redbridge have announced that they are now going part time therefore McCallum could be available.

Three static defenders on the edge of their own box taking turns to lump it forward towards the opposite goal, where the entire rest of the squad are standing around waiting. No formation, no opposition & no movement. Whoever is nearest the ball when it drops out of the sky controls it unopposed, before shooting.

In essence, it’s the type of thing you’d expect to see during a hungover men’s team warm-up on a cold Sunday morning.

Yeah but I bet the score was still 0-0 when the session was over.

I think Moseley is a good manager, but this is a 'stop the rot' situation which requires a certain skill set that I'm not sure he has. There needs to be a bit of a 'win ugly' mentality, not least so everyone on here can complain the football isn't very nice to watch and we can have the debate regarding whether it would have been better to go down rather thank play like we're playing etc.

We need the Sam Allardyce of Div 2. I have to say I think Sol Campbell fits the bill more than Moseley. That said if Campbell had hung around longer he'd probably have ended up suing us out of business.

You look back at who Sturrock introduced, and the job he did only gets better in my view, despite the constant complaints on here when he was manager, and sniping at him since. With 4 player on the books, he managed to pick up (amongst others).......

Morris
Clohessey
Phillips
Barker
Easton
Hall
Mohsni
Corr

We've had much worse transfer windows than that. And few better.

Dagenham and Redbridge have announced that they are now going part time therefore McCallum could be available.

McCallum was one I was very surprised to see not make a move to the EFL in the summer. Not sure if Dagenham had a bit of money to throw around. He's a big lad, aggressive and a real handful. Wouldn't be at all unhappy if we started sniffing around him, providing the opportunity is there of course (I haven't seen anything official suggesting Daggers are going part-time, although rigsby is a trusted poster).

I was genuinely gobsmacked when I saw it. I'm backing myself to break into the pro game if that's the standard set :Hilarious:

Reactions: GBJ

Interesting .. .. I wonder what he was trying to achieve..

I thought in most games we looked positionally well disciplined and held a good shape.

It must be said I would welcome our current team lumping it forward into the box.

Maybe the point had to be hammered home.

Interesting .. .. I wonder what he was trying to achieve..

I thought in most games we looked positionally well disciplined and held a good shape.

It must be said I would welcome our current team lumping it forward into the box.

Maybe the point had to be hammered home.
Agree. I'm sure all of our attackers that are really physical and good in the air would thrive under such tactics

Sounds as if its either embarrassingly amateurish or a fiendishly clever drill us mere mortals don't understand. He's got all the coaching badges hasn't he ? so hopefully the latter.

I have my doubts that they'll seriously look at getting another attacking player in until they've seen how Akinola does and if he impacts the team adequately. Just a hunch.

MM has only managed at 23 players level,

Incorrect. He was manager at Weymouth in the Conference South.

and that is obvious by what he has brought in,

McCormack? Akinola? Jordan Green?

totally lacks League experience

Former player in the league, had been on the coaching staff of a Premier League club for the past 4 years.

and that is why we are in the state we are in,

Did you not notice that we were already in this state prior to his appointment?
Did the winding up order and transfer embargo pass you by?
Do you think that Molesley had turned down more experienced players than Sterling and Olayinka and he's not just signing them because they are the only players the club can afford?

RM gave him the job because he was the cheapest,

Incorrect. Fagan applied and was going to appoint Demetriou as his assistant. As they were already on the pay-roll they'd have been cheaper.

and then we wanted all his mates in

We had multiple vacancies that needed filling

and we lost some good back room staff

We lost one backroom member of staff (Lee Harrison)

The others were all replacing members of staff who had left months prior to his appointment.

Tom Prodomo joined August 13th. He replaced Hermann Hreidarrson who left in June.
Jamie Wells joined in September. He replaced Andy Cole who left in June.
Ben Cirne left about a year ago. Sam Hall replaces him.
Anton Robinson joined in September. He replaced the 72 year old Roger Cross who left some time ago because his wife was ill.

Molesley has obviously made a far from flawless start but your criticisms are just way off the mark and in many cases actually factually incorrect.

Not on to give away @FarmdogSUFC 's training sessions like that. His u8 opponents could be watching.

Shamir Mullings has joined Weymouth but no doubt will be released soon. Great big chap. No great career since he was with us but a cheap option. Scored well for Chelmsford.

Of course your subjective opinion holds more water than mine. I never considered for a second that it wouldn’t....or hold more water than anyone else’s ?

I just think there are signs of improvement. Each week shows some improvement no matter how small or in which department. It’s not always obviously evident or making a difference to a scoreline...just yet.

I didn’t specify any quantum of improvement. In fact I deliberately tried to demonstrate that there were many different quantum’s of measurement and I wasn’t sure which one you wanted me to use when demonstrating to you my well thought out estimate.

I was quite clear that you were as entitled to consider that we were getting worse as I was to think we were showing signs of improvement. Evidently you can’t seem to comprehend how I may think we are improving which is fine, I wasn’t asking for you to agree with me and I definitely don’t need your approval of my opinions.

I guess we won’t see any real improvement until we find a manager who’ll try and play to our undoubted physical prowess and batter teams into the middle of next week.

Hutchinson? Well I guess there’s someone who has seen an improvement in the whole situation. Many will feel that’s improved us also.....which is also fine and not something I’d disagree with.

FWIW I predict that we will win at least one of the next 5 league games. So by almost any quantum you choose that will be an improvement.

Cheer me up then.

What improvement was shown last week and are you still confident?

Back