• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Was Molesley the wrong choice?

How fickle we are as fans.

4-0 loss in his first competitive league match in professional football and we have fans calling for his head.
If he draws the next one, we'll give him a stay of execution for a month.
If he wins the he will be hailed as the new messiah and a statue will be started in his honour ready to coincide with our move to Fossetts Farm.

Give the guy a break. He currently has his hands tied behind his back. Hopefully Ron will clear the HMRC debt, we get a couple of players to come in and then we can judge.

Surely this thread should be locked down until at least January.

Would you have been saying this if Paul Sturrock hadn't have had his transfer embargo lifted? Talk about contacts all you want we are so restricted of who we can bring in at the minute its ridiculous. Come back when MM can actually use his contacts and not have to sign people who have never played in the league before.

Personally I would have gone for a Sturrock type figure with contacts and experience, listening to the lockdown interviews (particularly Barry Corr and Michael Phillips with Rylee) show just how important he was that summer.

But it's clear we didn't have the funds and if we aren't going down that route, then Molesely is a very promising appointment. He's certainly not to blame, whatever happens this season.

Put Guardiola, Mourinho, Klopp and Zidane in a joint managerial role and they'd struggle to get a mid-table finish with this squad.

Experience is one thing, but contacts are irrelevant when you can't sign anyone. A manager that has experience in saving a sinking ship (which MM did at Weymouth, I believe) is perfect for the role.

I also really liked his attitude after the game where he refused to blame the referee for our loss. To me that is the right attitude. If we were winning then any refereeing mistakes wouldn't have been that important. The only reason those mistakes are highlighted is because we were losing.

The sooner his attitude (that the only people we can rely on are ourselves) propagates through the squad, the better.

Last edited:
That’s way too harsh after one game and the circumstances he inherited.
Football can be very cruel at times.
He’d be hurting big time.
Even if we get relegated, this type of post shouldn’t become an I told you so, as the last thing anyone needs atm is this sort of talk.
Disappointing.

He was absolutely the right choice. We arguably wouldn’t be in such a mess had we have hired a manager like him sooner. Also, you can’t suggest he has a lack of contacts because we haven’t signed anyone. We’re under an embargo and could only add limited players, including those who have no league appearances, hence Hobson.

Apart from his good relationship with Bournemouth, we don’t know who his contacts are or who he has lined up. He’s looking at a youngster from Spurs, but it’s been suggested we’re close to bringing in 28 year old Akinola and are apparently in talks with an experienced ball winning midfielder going by some previous posters.

Gobsmacked we’ve got threads like this after one game. The man has taken an impossible job and is trying to get us pulling in the right direction. I’m grateful he’s here and putting the time and effort into us.

I don’t think any of them looked good on Saturday.

Doesn’t mean to say that they’re not. It just highlights how bad a situation we’re in.

I'm not saying we have, but we could have some decent players in our defence and up front. Our midfield will never compete in this league so we have issues. The defence come under constant pressure because the midfield get bullied and can't keep possession, we don't have a big man up front who can hold up the ball so long balls don't work. Chances created are also few and far between because of the midfield are so powderpuff. We are just so easy to beat, press the defenders so they can't play out from the back and collect the long balls or bully us off on the seconds because our midfield is weak as you like and our strikers are too. This problem doesn't get solved without bringing players in. Hobson could be decent at this level if he wasn't under the cosh for the whole game and he had a man who could keep it in midfield or an outlet to knock it long, or preferably both.

This is basically a long winded post saying I agree whilst voicing my gripes over this team.

I’m lost for words.

Actually I'm not, I was debating with someone on Twitter after the game Saturday who pretty much said that everyone except himself was wrong about MM.. you wouldn’t happen to be him would you?

This “he has no contacts” rubbish is so frustrating as well. Bond had contacts with Spurs and yet brought in a load of tosh from Scotland. Powell before him had contacts at the highest level and failed to really bring in anyone who has gone on to do well for us.

Also to complain about a new guy wanting to bring in coaches he knows and has worked with before is also a baffling one.

Crazy suggestion I know but how about giving the bloke some time to try and turn us around despite being in such dire states off the pitch rather than spouting utter rubbish hmm?

Last edited:
Sol had Kiernan, Hopper and Cox for most of his tenure, McLaughlin, a fit (ish) Demetriou, Barratt, Humphrys, Manton. All senior professionals with the exception of Barratt who was not a senior in League experience but was in age.

All have gone. Yes a lot of them were no good, but they were experienced players with a large number of league appearances.

There's not a lot of that now.

What many fans seem to struggle with is the difference between players playing badly and players that aren’t good enough and players that are good enough finding life difficult due to playing alongside players that aren’t.

It’s why we seem to think they are world beaters one week and full of optimism and complete no hopers the following week and are Sunday league players!

We have several players that are good enough and several that aren’t. On a good day the ones that aren’t can play above their levels and if the ones that are good enough play well we are ok.

However on any given day the ones that aren’t good enough play at their level or below at the same time as the ones that are good enough also play poorly we are screwed.

Unfortunately with young players they will be inconsistent and you find performance levels change regularly. Doesn’t make them all bad players. Really good players have bad games too.

Aside from this embarrassing post - I do wonder where people get the idea that MM has no contacts in football.

Bournemouth have plenty of links throughout the football league, and he'll have plenty knowledge and contacts of the better talents in the leagues below. The two players he has brought in look to be our best players at the moment as well (yes, barring one horrendous brainfart in our last match).

Sometimes you do have to wonder if people just decide they're not going to like or support a manager before a ball's been kicked.

Let's say for example we did get rid of MM after one game, no one, and I mean NO ONE would join us as they would have no trust in being given time to implement their thoughts and plans

Let's say for example we did get rid of MM after one game, no one, and I mean NO ONE would join us as they would have no trust in being given time to implement their thoughts and plans
3 games now plus all those friendlies he's had long enough now, he can go. Bring back Bond he had a better start to last season than this.

Back