• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Was Molesley the wrong choice?

None of my business really of course, but from an outsiders viewpoint I think Molesley was a great choice of manager. A young succcesful manager keen to prove his worth at a higher level, (Danny Cowley comes to mind) experience in working with little money to spend, knowledge of the better players at National league level he might want to bring in, and experience working with young under 21 players at premier league level. He must have loads of contacts in the game at all levels, if he is given time and a little money to spend I am sure he will turn out to be a very astute appointment. All he needs right now is the fans and the club to be behind him, its a tough gig, but I am sure he knew that well before he arrived.
I am happy with him, if we drop down to non league with him, I would be happy if we stuck with him, help him by backing him in his bid to get us out of it. Although tomorrow is an big opportunity for our chairman to lift the embargo’s that is holding us back.

Absolutely. Bond tried to address the situation and build their confidence back, but was hamstrung by several factors. Then came Sol, who actually made them regress further. And now we have MM who is trying to right all the wrongs of the past 2 years, in just a matter of weeks.

We’re desperate for some fresh faces, we’re desperate for a little run & we’re desperate for a little slice of luck, which is something we haven’t had much of in the last two years.

But make no mistakes, their fitness levels are nowhere near where they should be, which is very concerning.
What would you put that down to? Fitness was one thing I thought had improved under Campbell (allegedly). Lack of pre season? Kelman I thought was one of the fitter and more committed players. What’s changed? MM needs lots of time to right all this but I’ve got more confidence in him doing it than any of the previous few managers. Three/four new faces would be great for us I feel. The squad needs a huge shake up confidence wise and tactically. Lots of work which you can’t expect from MM in a few weeks. What we really really can’t do is go on another losing streak in the league, the longer we go without that first point the harder the job becomes.
Last season we were the laughing stock of L1 with opposing teams licking their lips at the thought of playing us. Next few games are absolutely crucial for MM and for Southend United. Don’t envy him one bit.

Last edited:
What would you put that down to? Fitness was one thing I thought had improved under Campbell (allegedly). Lack of pre season? Kelman I thought was one of the fitter and more committed players. What’s changed? MM needs lots of time to right all this but I’ve got more confidence in him doing it than any of the previous few managers. Three/four new faces would be great for us I feel.

A lack of a decent pre-season really has hurt us IMO. Especially when you consider that they hadn’t played for 5 months, which is over double what the typical off-season period is.

We’re not just talking about being able to run for 90 mins, we’re talking about all round strength and conditioning.

Obviously it will come with time, and hopefully MM can sort them out sooner rather than later.

A lack of a decent pre-season really has hurt us IMO. Especially when you consider that they hadn’t played for 5 months, which is over double what the typical off-season period is.

We’re not just talking about being able to run for 90 mins, we’re talking about all round strength and conditioning.

Obviously it will come with time, and hopefully MM can sort them out sooner rather than later.

And match sharpness.

And match sharpness.

Sure, but you’ll never reach that peak match sharpness if you’re weaker than you were 6-months ago. Sprinting, turning, jumping, balance, passing, tackling will all suffer if you’re not at your optimum fitness levels.

Take Ronaldo for example. One of the reasons why he’s so successful, is because he is in tip top shape. If he slacked on his strength and conditioning for 6-months, he wouldn’t be the same player, regardless of how many games he was playing.

Worth remembering that when the lads returned to training, the gym at B&L was still locked up, so they couldn’t use it.

If OP is correct then any manager who could have come in to manage this club this season, while Ron Martin still isn't playing players their wages, would have been the wrong choice.

Sure, but you’ll never reach that peak match sharpness if you’re weaker than you were 6-months ago. Sprinting, turning, jumping, balance, passing, tackling will all suffer if you’re not at your optimum fitness levels.

Take Ronaldo for example. One of the reasons why he’s so successful, is because he is in tip top shape. If he slacked on his strength and conditioning for 6-months, he wouldn’t be the same player, regardless of how many games he was playing.

Worth remembering that when the lads returned to training, the gym at B&L was still locked up, so they couldn’t use it.

Exactly, it's all related. I was just adding it to point out that a player could also be physically fit, but that doesn't mean they'll be able to play at their peak. It takes more than that.

Reactions: GBJ

Decision making also suffers when you are fatigued.

Exactly, it's all related. I was just adding it to point out that a player could also be physically fit, but that doesn't mean they'll be able to play at their peak. It takes more than that.
Be interesting to see how our fitness levels match those of Carlisle’s as they started at the same point as us (no play offs) and if we’re that far off them that’s a real concern given they also have started poorly.

Of course the success and / or lack of success of any particular tactic, was entirely down to the ability levels or performance of the players and absolutely nothing to do with the oppositions ability to counter it ??

Harrogate did their homework excellently in how we play and the key players within that. To play out you need a pivot in midfield who is available to receive on the half turn and play forwards. Against Gills Dieng and particularly Hutchinson did that brilliantly. Harrogate didnt have Dieng to worry about and focussed entirely on pressing Hutchinson who struggled to find options to pass to and was swamped by up to 3 Harrogate players each time.

Our failure was simply being unable to adapt and adjust to the problem. That responsibility has to be shared by all players and the management.

The proof will be not how we employ that tactic again but more how we change it when faced with that intensity of a press again.

I said it post match. More players needed to actually want the ball and the front two need to actually run about a bit and offer themselves as an outlet.

Intresting that you thought Hutchinson ‘did that brilliantly’ and was ‘swamped’.

Not really if you read it properly. I thought he did well v Gills but was swamped v Harrogate.

You can’t have if you thought I’d said he “did brilliantly” and was “swamped”. It was two different games and two very different outcomes.

I think we’d all agree most if not all players looked better v Gills than they did v Harrogate. I’m not going to think we’ll get promoted or get relegated based on either.

That’s my point, until we have more to base it on.

Be interesting to see how our fitness levels match those of Carlisle’s as they started at the same point as us (no play offs) and if we’re that far off them that’s a real concern given they also have started poorly.

Actually Carlisle returned to training a week before us.

I know it might not seem a lot, but it all adds up.

I did read it properly.

Are you pleased with the way Hutchinson has started the season?
It's not really my conversation I know, but it's obvious to me that Hutch is one of our most talented players, if not the best player we currently have. Maybe that says more about the strength of our squad, I don't know. But like Kelman and Bwomono I think he is better suited to a higher standard than L2. They will all need to adapt quickly, or be protected by some more experienced players, otherwise they could be swallowed whole this season. And on top of the trauma of last year they may struggle to recover career wise.

Last edited:
Let's be honest, it wasn't pretty but sometimes you have to trust the process. It doesn't always happen overnight, especially when new ideas are being instilled into players used to doing things one way. Harry Redknapp lost his first league match as our manager 9-0 and that worked out pretty well for us. Well, if you discount the financial stuff but that's the chairman's fault and not Harry's.

Time for a big reaction against Carlisle. Good luck!

Reactions: RHB
Interesting looking back at this thread- undercover shrimper was given a real bashing for suggesting that MM was maybe not the best choice of manager. It may still be too early for us to tell but the signings and tactics to date do not seem to be working. Many people will say Ron is to blame for everything (and he is responsible for most of this shambles) but surely MM must by now be questioning his own “process “ which is not yielding results. Personally I don’t think it would do MM any harm to seek advice from a seasoned lower league manager such as Steve Tilson who could perhaps point out some of the differences between league 2 and acadamey football.

Back