• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Was Molesley the wrong choice?

Ron has invested far to much money in Mark Molesley, and the other coach staff, even if he did want to wield the axe he cannot afford to re-start again (I dread to think of how much money he has squandered in paying off his motley crew previous managerial teams). In any case I cannot see any other manager coming in and doing any better than MM.

At least Tilson's sides were never afraid to shoot on sight, we scored so many long range goals during his time.

I do feel for MM, he left a very good and safe job to come here. General consensus when he joined was that, regardless of what happened this season, relegation wouldn't be his fault. Then again, everyone on here said the same when Campbell came in last season too. Some of us are very quick to sharpen our knives when, let's be honest, this was a **** job to take in the first place. Yes he's made signings, but would they have been first choice ones?

It's a **** situation, and has been for years. I feel totally disillusioned with our club and, as much as we try, it's very hard to feel positive towards the team right now.

I'm very glad this isn't happening to Adam Barrett, that much is for sure.
Made a very good decision not to apply even after Ron's request...

Ron has invested far to much money in Mark Molesley, and the other coach staff, even if he did want to wield the axe he cannot afford to re-start again (I dread to think of how much money he has squandered in paying off his motley crew previous managerial teams). In any case I cannot see any other manager coming in and doing any better than MM.
I agree there is no way that RM. will remove MM and his back room team not after 10 games we don’t have the finances to pay them off! What was it RM said we are in a rebuilding phase, well I hope that rebuilding project factored in successive relegations and less and less income! Might only be 10 games in a people say some of us are over reacting but can you honestly see a win coming anytime soon? I bet Boreham wood can not wait to play us and are chomping at the bit to play is now and not wait another week.

I agree there is no way that RM. will remove MM and his back room team not after 10 games we don’t have the finances to pay them off! What was it RM said we are in a rebuilding phase, well I hope that rebuilding project factored in successive relegations and less and less income! Might only be 10 games in a people say some of us are over reacting but can you honestly see a win coming anytime soon? I bet Boreham wood can not wait to play us and are chomping at the bit to play is now and not wait another week.
We do have players of better quality to come in to the team.

I don’t think that MM is the issue at the root of our club’s lack of success on the pitch at the moment. He is doing the best he can with what is available to him and those he has managed to bring in. Unfortunately we are a young, inexperienced squad that has become used to losing and has not experienced what it is to win. I hope that those currently out injured will bring what is needed to make us competitive enough to gain sufficient points to prevent us from dropping out of the league but I’m not sure that they will.

We are a club that is badly run and has lost its way. Unless we put in place an infrastructure that changes this I fear for our future irrespective of whether we are in the league next season. Everything seems too short term and hand to mouth and no business can succeed if it is run in such a way. I have confidence that MM can turn things round if he is given the backing and patience but we may drop into the Conference before we can arrest a decline that has been going quietly on for years.

Sol made it impossible to be kept on as manager after his antics with players other halves ???????? Sorry but what was that about
This is something many of us wonder about and often alluded to, and why the Sol past player thread was closed except to those in the know.
I agree tell us what Sol is supposed to have done (probably gonna get banned now for asking)

We do have players of better quality to come in to the team.

Well I really hope they are going to make the difference as I am seriously disillusioned with the current situation we find ourselves in yet again this season. I just can’t see how they will improve the side that much.

The bizarre thing is that despite all, we are still only 3 points off of 22nd! There are a lot of other cr@p teams in this division, but are there 2 worse than us? (Don’t answer that one).

Most fans said at the start of the season, that they'd take 22nd as a real bonus. We all knew the situation was likely to mean relegation to non-league.

So it's hard to understand the logic to sacking MM when we all expected to be in this situation anyway.

Well I really hope they are going to make the difference as I am seriously disillusioned with the current situation we find ourselves in yet again this season. I just can’t see how they will improve the side that much.
Well akinola scored 15 goals last season so hopefully he will find the net.john white is a seasoned pro and a reliable defender at this level.Alan maccormack wont take no bull s...t and will leave no stone unturned to get this team playing as a team and fighting for everyball.These are big players for us and im sure they can make a difference.

Well akinola scored 15 goals last season so hopefully he will find the net.john white is a seasoned pro and a reliable defender at this level.Alan maccormack wont take no bull s...t and will leave no stone unturned to get this team playing as a team and fighting for everyball.These are big players for us and im sure they can make a difference.
I really hope you are right, but I fear we are clutching at straws for something to kick start our season. I really hope this is the case and we start to pick up results with these three, but I just can’t see it at the moment. Last 2 games have shown how bad we are and it isn’t going to get any easier.

i have seen enough ..

get Tilson in and say cheerio to MM and his crowd

Why Tilson?

We know the success he was able to achieve when he inherited a stable situation but when he was faced with adversity with transfer embargoes, having to field loanees and youth players, his only goalscorer being sold by Ron, players not being paid etc he struggled just as much as Molesley did and his final 22 games here saw us win just twice.

The following season at Lincoln saw them pick up just 2 points from their final 11 matches and they plummeted into non-league. And he's not even the man to rebuild in the Conference. The following season saw Lincoln start Pl 12 W2 D 2 L8 before he departed.

The only argument for Tilly is experience but Tilly's success was achieved without experience and his failures were when he was experienced.

Furthermore the idea of we just need to change the manager has proven wrong time after time. Sacking Powell didn't improve things. Bond going didn't improve things. Replacing Waddock didn't improve things. Moving on from Campbell didn't improve things so why should Molesley departing change things this time?

This is possibly an unfair point to make, as I don't know anything about the guy and what he brings to the table, but if you think about our successes in recent years, we've had immensely strong, tactically aware assistant managers. Our current one has no experience in professional football. Having people like Paul Brush and Graham Coughlan as our number 2 was so important for our managers. I'd just question whether we might benefit from having someone a bit more experienced, even someone like Paul Clark, might be good for the current team.

Is Fagan very involved with the first team currently, does anyone know?

Last edited:
This is possible an unfair point to make, as I don't know anything about the guy and what he brings to the table, but if you think about our successes in recent years, we've had immensely strong, tactically aware assistant managers. Our current one has no experience in professional football. Having people like Paul Brush and Graham Coughlan as our number 2 was so important for our managers. I'd just question whether we might benefit from having someone a bit more experienced, even someone like Paul Clark, might be good for the current team.

Is Fagan very involved with the first team currently, does anyone know?

I was a bit disappointed that Fagan was not made first-team coach shortly after MM got the job, but I do think MM should be give a decent amount of time to turn things around. He is certainly cool under pressure and has conducted himself well in extremely difficult circumstances.

Most fans said at the start of the season, that they'd take 22nd as a real bonus. We all knew the situation was likely to mean relegation to non-league.

So it's hard to understand the logic to sacking MM when we all expected to be in this situation anyway.

You’ve got to remember that some people didn’t though. They completely rubbished the idea that we’d struggle in Lg2, and genuinely expected us to be fighting for promotion.

Afterall, we’re Southend United, one of the big clubs in this division, and our kiddies beat Bristol Rovers 3-1. We had more than enough to be competitive at this level.

The bizarre thing is that despite all, we are still only 3 points off of 22nd! There are a lot of other cr@p teams in this division, but are there 2 worse than us? (Don’t answer that one).
Well, we just played 2 of them and look what we achieved. Zilch.

It’s a bit like people thinking once the ‘bad apples’ like Cox and Kiernan were gone we’d be fine. Once the ‘lightweights’ like Hutch and Charlie were gone we’d be better off. Milligan? He was crap, good riddance. Shaughnessy? Nah, we’re best off with Lennon and JW (who I love but he’s never fit). We’ve lost a lot of players and haven’t replaced them with equivalent quality, we’re getting in loan players who don’t give a **** about Southend or the long term. Players who are needed but aren’t fit which is why we were able to sign them. I can see poor Akinola being the next scapegoat when he doesn’t score a worldie on his debut. People need to realise where we are and the sheer scale of the task facing Molesley. This team would struggle in the league Weymouth have just been promoted from. L2 is unforgiving and not for the naive.

Molesley is totally inexperienced at this level and is trying to play academy type football with a bunch of premier league starlets and non league wannabees. Completely wrong for the job as results now prove. We needed an experienced manager with contacts who knows the way to survive at this level and would recruit accordingly. Plenty of out of contract pros out there looking for a job so embargo not a problem. Yet another spectacular Martin failure. I wonder how much influence Redknapp had in convincing him Molesley was the man?

Back