• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Watching Games on iFollow?

Agreed but question is, what are you willing to pay per game or as a job lot?

Some people will understandably be put off attending live games for the entirety of next season, and may not consider returning until the 21/22 season at all.

Logic dictates that iFollow and the Club should offer several different packages, in order to balance the financial climate, with the needs of said football club.

So, the best way to do it, would be to offer;

Package 1: All home & away games for 20/21 season

Package 2: All home games for 20/21 season

*Package 3. All home and away games upto the halfway point in the 20/21 season (which is usually Xmas)

Package 4: PPV on a game-by-game basis.

*The reasoning behind package 3, is that some people may feel that by Xmas, all of this would have cleared up, and things will revert back to normal, and therefore wouldn’t be willing to pay out for a season-long package, when they could theoretically attend matches in the flesh once more, and have to pay for that on top.

There would be a sliding scale to offer the fans some kind of savings/incentive, whilst maintaining the goal of maximisng revenue for the club.

Of course, the cost of those packages would be debateable on what should be considered fair. The club and iFollow would have to be realistic, and recognise that in normal circumstances, us fans don’t just fork out our dough to watch a game of football, it’s for the match day experience too. As that can’t be replicated, the price should reflect that. Nobody is going to pay £20-odd a game, every game, to watch a video feed.

The fans would also have to acknowledge that this won’t be a free service, and the money it will cost is essentially a substitute for the season ticket money, that the club desperately needs to stay in business.

Remember, without our financial input, the club ceases to exist, so all of this becomes moot.
So, basing it on a fair trade off. MY price index would be as follows:

Package 1: £300. That works out at £6.50 per game.

Package 2: £180. That’s works out at a shade under £8 per game

Package 3: £160. That’s £7 a game.

Package 4: £10 per game

I should caveat this aswell by saying that I know for overseas fans, the cost for watching 42 games of the season is only £130, (and that’s something I wouldn’t change), but if anyone was wondering why theirs would be a lot cheaper than those of us still residing in the UK... well it should be self explanatory really. For them, not a lot has changed. For us & the club, everything has changed.

Again, these figures are subjective, as I’ve worked them out arbitrarily, based on what I personally feel is a balance between value for money, and what is necessary for the club.

I fully accept that they could be too high for some, and too low for others.

IIRC, I think we tend to generate between £1m & £1.2m from season ticket sales per season? The club would need to do 4000 sales of package 1, to hit that figure, which is not beyond the realms of possibility.

I would be interested to hear other people views on those prices. There isn’t a right or wrong answer to be fair, as I said, it’s all subjective based on the individual

@GBJ thats exactly my thinking and what I hope the club do offer. I would happily pay the money for package 3 and think that the club would be missing a trick if they didn’t have a scheme like this for the season.

The only issue seems to be the continuing issues that regular iFollow users seem to have. Potentially having 4000+ people plus however many from the other teams trying to watch the same feed would no doubt cause more issues. I’d like to hope the EFL and iFollow are already putting plans in place to get this underway.

@GBJ thats exactly my thinking and what I hope the club do offer. I would happily pay the money for package 3 and think that the club would be missing a trick if they didn’t have a scheme like this for the season.

The only issue seems to be the continuing issues that regular iFollow users seem to have. Potentially having 4000+ people plus however many from the other teams trying to watch the same feed would no doubt cause more issues. I’d like to hope the EFL and iFollow are already putting plans in place to get this underway.

For sure. Before any theoretical packages came to the forefront, iFollow would need to have the correct infrastructure in place.

I’m not the most tech savvy person, but I assume they would need to upgrade their servers for starters.

I’m not sure what levels of traffic they normally receive, but the upcoming season will be substantialy more than what they’re currently used to.

You’d like to think that this problem has already occurred to them, and their team are busy plotting & planning for this eventuality.

Pandemic permitting, we probably have the best part of two & a half months before the start of the next season. Hopefully that will be enough time for them to sort out their issues, and be able to provide a decent service. Afterall, it’s not just us fans who will want it, the football clubs themselves may well depend on it.

I think last season's ticket price for a season ticket - for when matches can resume in front of crowds and knowing that won't be immediately - and free iFollow (home and away) is the way to go.

People that way can come back whenever they are comfortable. You'll probably get fewer away fans but that may reduce policing/stewarding costs.

A lower fee might just see higher returns. The die-hard season ticket holders might pay £10-15 per game but the pay on the day fans will be tempted more often for a lower amount. I’d even go as low as a fiver to tempt a larger audience. I wouldn’t think twice about paying a fiver for most games as I would easily justify it, but at £15 I’d be much more selective.
I'm not convinced it would work out, this feels like a price inelastic product to me, I can't see many fans outside of season ticket holders (and exiles that would be season ticket holders if they lived closer) would be interested in seeing more than a couple of matches even if the price was very low.

Let's assume the whole season has to go on iFollow and say at £15 a match an average of 3000 people pay per match (2500 regular subscribers and 500 extra a match that flit in and out), that's 3000*15*23 which is just over a million pounds revenue (I'm assuming here that all the money goes to the home team but if all the subscription money goes to us then double it). If instead you you charged £5 a match you'd need an average of 8,700 fans tuning in a match to make a million. Realistically do we have enough fairweather fans to average that amount? A lot of the fairweather fans come to matches because it's a day out, I'm not sure they'd care as much if it's just to watch the match on their laptop. Keep in mind as well that you'll be paying per household rather than per person, so a family of 4 that occasionally goes to Roots Hall would only translate to 1 sale on iFolllow.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced it would work out, this feels like a price inelastic product to me, I can't see many fans outside of season ticket holders (and exiles that would be season ticket holders if they lived closer) would be interested in seeing more than a couple of matches even if the price was very low.

Let's assume the whole season has to go on iFollow and say at £15 a match an average of 3000 people pay per match (2500 regular subscribers and 500 extra a match that flit in and out), that's 3000*15*23 which is just over a million pounds revenue (I'm assuming here that all the money goes to the home team but if all the subscription money goes to us then double it). If instead you you charged £5 a match you'd need an average of 8,700 fans tuning in a match to make a million. Realistically do we have enough fairweather fans to average that amount? A lot of the fairweather fans come to matches because it's a day out, I'm not sure they'd care as much if it's just to watch the match on their laptop. Keep in mind as well that you'll be paying per household rather than per person, so a family of 4 that occasionally goes to Roots Hall would only translate to 1 sale on iFolllow.
I'm not sure if you are using the figures to be illustrative or think the numbers might be real but I would be amazed if we have more than 1,000 people watching an individual match, especially not at the business end of the season.

I'm not sure if you are using the figures to be illustrative or think the numbers might be real but I would be amazed if we have more than 1,000 people watching an individual match, especially not at the business end of the season.
More illustrative than anything, whatever the number you'd need 3 times as much at £5 to make it better value than 15.

Watched a couple of games being shown behind closed doors ......and must admit it left me feeling depressed.Just came over as a training game with all you could hear the players shouts echoing around the empty stadium.
Whether Southend playing would make a difference to the experience I still doubt as when the new season starts we won't even know half the team so will not have a close connection with the players.
What is a fair price and how soon would you lose interest if we have another bad season.
They have added crowd music and filled stands with banners pictures etc. Sounds a bit ridiculous but actually makes it a lot better viewing, you kinda forget there aren’t any fans in the stadium. The crowd sound actually changes when goals are scored as well.

They won’t need to work on servers etc it’s a couple of extra thousand people watching a match wont make a difference.
I think the price should be the same as international rate. If it isn’t people will just watch on alternate free ways. Better to get something than nothing.

I’ve used Ifollow for a few years while working abroad and it’s got a lot better recently. HD picture and they have replays now.

I think last season's ticket price for a season ticket - for when matches can resume in front of crowds and knowing that won't be immediately - and free iFollow (home and away) is the way to go.

People that way can come back whenever they are comfortable. You'll probably get fewer away fans but that may reduce policing/stewarding costs.

Last season's season ticket price in L1? No way, bring it down to L2 prices and I'd go with it. Otherwise I'd be with @GBJ 's option 3.

They have added crowd music and filled stands with banners pictures etc. Sounds a bit ridiculous but actually makes it a lot better viewing, you kinda forget there aren’t any fans in the stadium. The crowd sound actually changes when goals are scored as well.
Though I still struggle with the intensity of the crowd not changing, there was an amazing run on goal where the sound tempo didn't change which undermined it for example

I watch all the footy on iptv. They have all the leagues and all 3pm Saturday kos too.

Happy days.

Last season was 130 euros, and I watched 90% of the matches. The others I attended in person or was working etc.

I think there was a couple that I had technical issues with, but the sound and picture are usually out of sync most times, but more than adequate.

If it was to get rolled out and the number of viewers were to increase significantly then it would have to have an upgrade of some sort.

I would imagine the viewing figures for Southend would probably go up from a few hundred to a few thousand.

Not sure what a reasonable price would be. I think 10 a game is about right, maybe 180 for a season ticket for UK residents?

Although a lot of people would not want to commit to a full season if we are going to be back in stadia say November time?

Interestingly,Fulham fctv have offered all existing Fulham season card holders the opportunity to watch all of Fulham's remaining games in the Championship free-home and away. (Season's due to re-start on Saturday).Payment for individual games (not on Sky) will also be available for non-season card holders .Ten pounds a pop for UK fans and a fiver for exiles, (like me)

Wouldn't suprise me if all clubs outside the Prem.offered some sort of similar deal on IFollow to fans from the beginning of next season.

Last edited:
Interestingly,Fulham fctv have offered all existing Fulham season card holders the opportunity to watch all of Fulham's remaining games in the Championship free-home and away. (Season's due to re-start on Saturday).Payment for individual games (not on Sky) will also be available for non-season card holders .Ten pounds a pop for UK fans and a fiver for exiles, (like me)

Wouldn't suprise me if all clubs outside the Prem.offered some sort of similar deal on IFollow to fans from the beginning of next season.

If they don’t then they’re missing a trick!

One advantage, selfishly, is that the teething problems of increased audiences should have been rectified by the time Southend play again...

Well with France announcing that they will be having crowds of up to 5000 in football stadiums in July, iFollow may not be as popular.

Back