• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Watchlotto

They are absolutely a gambling company. Doesn't bother me but let's not be mistaken on that.

According to the Gambling Commission...

Is your spot the ball scheme a prize competition?
Your spot the ball scheme could be a prize competition, depending on how you arrange it.

To be a genuine prize competition, rather than a lottery, there must be an element of skill, knowledge or judgment that is reasonably likely to prevent a significant proportion of people who wish to participate from doing so or prevent a significant proportion of people who participate from receiving a prize.

For example, if a panel of judges determine the position of the ball and participants have to apply judgment, skill or knowledge to match their own decision of where the ball is with that of the panel, it is more likely to be a prize competition than a lottery.

Genuine prize competitions are free from statutory control under the Gambling Act 2005 and therefore do not require a licence.

According to the Gambling Commission...

Genuine prize competitions are free from statutory control under the Gambling Act 2005 and therefore do not require a licence.
That is interesting, thanks. In my opinion it is flawed by the GC but they are often late to the party when it comes to identifying gambling e.g. computer game loot boxes.

Buying tickets to have an x in y chance of winning something is 100% gambling. If anybody objected to last year's sponsorship on gambling grounds, they should be objecting to this too. If anything this may be worse as it may be significantly less regulated, although I don't know for certain.

Liam Ridgewell is also involved. He will be judging the spot the £20 note competition.

Welcome aboard Watchlotto,SUFC are happy to have you even if some supporters are not .

These online gambling companies are a license to print money. They hardly employ anyone and sadly, too many of their customers can be vunerable and often end up with a gambling addiction. There was a recent debate in the House of Commons where banning gambling companies advertising on football shirts was recommended to cease in 2023. I am not against gambling, I bet on horses regularly but there should be some restrictions on advertising. We have banned advertising for smoking, and in France there is also a ban on alcohol advertising on sports shirts.

That is interesting, thanks. In my opinion it is flawed by the GC but they are often late to the party when it comes to identifying gambling e.g. computer game loot boxes.

Buying tickets to have an x in y chance of winning something is 100% gambling. If anybody objected to last year's sponsorship on gambling grounds, they should be objecting to this too. If anything this may be worse as it may be significantly less regulated, although I don't know for certain.
I agree this is gambling although I wouldn't say it's as bad as Paddy Power. A major reason gambling leads to addiction is because even clueless gamblers will win occasionally which leads to a dopamine rush and the thrill of winning is addictive (this is the same case with the lootboxes you mentioned). Imagine if you had a slot machine that only ever paid up if you hit the jackpot, even gambling addicts would get bored after 30 goes because they would never win. Compare that to a machine that pays a minor reward every 5 or so goes, it's not enough to cover the losses of the previous 4 goes but the thrill of winning keeps gamblers playing. With this thing you either win the watch or you don't, and a lack of 'wins' should mean people don't go too crazy with it (similar to how lotto addicts are far rarer than roulette addicts).

Good news, I've heard this isn't the only offer we had fir front of shirt sponsor so I'd guess the commercial dept have done well here and got a decent deal.

Whilst I am not happy that we are again sponsored by a gambling firm I am even less happy we are sponsored by such a two bob one.

This looks like the sort of scheme that a ex school acquaintance you haven't seen for twenty five years would try and sign you up for if you bumped into them in a pub.

Whilst I am not happy that we are again sponsored by a gambling firm I am even less happy we are sponsored by such a two bob one.

This looks like the sort of scheme that a ex school acquaintance you haven't seen for twenty five years would try and sign you up for if you bumped into them in a pub.

Might not be the right attitude but I couldn't care less as long as they give Southend United enough money.

Seems like a bit of a ponzi / pyramid type scheme to me but as long as they've paid then who cares I guess. I'm more concerned that their logo might potentially ruin our kit!

Not sure what I think of the company but I reckon that their logo will look nice on the front of the new kit

Back