• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Richard_Cadette

The Realist
I know all the plaudits from last season, and now this season, will go to Freddie and The Goat, but I just wanted to give a small, well actually, HUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEE, amount of praise to Wayne Gray!

He was one of my faves from last season, even though he looked jaded towards the end of it, but this season so far, he has been absolutely awesome, a complete revelation.

I thought he may struggle against League One opposition, but so far he has been our best player by a mile. He had a quiet first half against Vale, but then scored a super goal, and then against Bradford and Walsall, he has been superb, a better striker at this level, im yet to see.

He has responded in completely the right way since The Goats arrival, and on Tuesday night he setup both goals very well, and his all round perfornamce was excellent, and then Saturday would go down as his best performance in a Southend shirt... Even clearing one off the line in the first half!!

If he carries on like this, then im afraid the Goat may not get the first team football he was looking for!!

I know I have maybe gone over the top on the superlatives front, but Gray doesnt often get the recognition he deserves, and at this point in time, he deserves all of it!!

Keep it up Wayne!!

Nah, totally agree. I though Gray would struggle last season, but since the start of the second half v Vale he has been awesome and I am so proud of him.

Lets hope he can keep it up and prove some of the doubters wrong...

I also thought he'd struggle and would become a bit-part player.

I really pleased I've been proved wrong so far, and I hope he continues to prove me, and others, very, very wrong throughout the season.

Well done Wayne Gray!

smile.gif

Pre season I thought we needed to get in a couple of strikers, one to partner freddy, another reserve and then Wayne as possible 4th choice but I take all of that back!! Wayne is showing class at the moment, and if he keeps it up then he will be a massive asset to the club this season!! He's a joy to watch when he is playing like this!!

Haven't seen him play either of the two away games but thought he was poor for all of the Port Vale game - barring one exquisite touch!

Glad to see he's proving us wrong as I too thought he'd struggle in L1.

Think Freddy is currently looking most likely to make way for a fully fit Shaun Goater.

Totally agree about WG, now he's raised the bar lets see it week in week out. Im a hard man to please
wink.gif

Altho I can report the misses throughly enjoyed Warwick Castle on the way home on Sunday
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tilly's Prodical Son @ Aug. 15 2005,19:53)]Wayne Gray for England!
Well if Peter 'fecking' Crouch can get a cap, then why not!

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Aug. 15 2005,20:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tilly's Prodical Son @ Aug. 15 2005,19:53)]Wayne Gray for England!
Well if Peter 'fecking' Crouch can get a cap, then why not!

biggrin.gif
Yh lol, and no way is he worth the £7million liverpool paid. Incidently, my valuation of him was nearer the £7 mark!
tounge.gif

Peter Crouch is a legend and I never want to hear any different again.

Seriously, just look at him. You know in your mind that he shouldn't be playing professional football. Hell, he should have problems balancing with that build but not only did he score goals last year, he scored quality goals. Not only did he get an England cap, he played well!

Nope, Peter Crouch is a hero.

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Aug. 15 2005,22:35)]Peter Crouch is a legend and I never want to hear any different again.

Seriously, just look at him.  You know in your mind that he  shouldn't be playing professional football.  Hell, he should have problems balancing with that build but not only did he score goals last year, he scored quality goals.  Not only did he get an England cap, he played well!

cool.gif
Is he a relation of yours?

Only reason i can see for that post

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ Aug. 15 2005,22:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Aug. 15 2005,22:35)]Peter Crouch is a legend and I never want to hear any different again.

Seriously, just look at him. You know in your mind that he shouldn't be playing professional football. Hell, he should have problems balancing with that build but not only did he score goals last year, he scored quality goals. Not only did he get an England cap, he played well!

cool.gif
Is he a relation of yours?

Only reason i can see for that post

tounge.gif
Answer me this: Would you rather watch a serious player who's not quite hit the top (say, Shaun Bartlett) or one who just looks really funny when he plays but seems strangely effective (Crouchy)?

I think you'll make the right choice

unclesam.gif

Werll done Wayne. A cracking start to the season.

Gray's pace and power are going to be invaluable away from home, as has already been seen in the past week. To be honest though, I personally don't think he adds enough at Roots Hall, where we need players who bring more to the table than just pace and work-rate. Against Port Vale he was ok, but one amazing overhead kick-aside, never really looked threatening. And the fact that that goal was his first at home from open play in the league since October 2004, speaks for itself.

If he can start playing at home like he does away then long may he remain in the starting line-up. But if he can't then its good to know that we've got a 250 career-goal striker waiting in the wings.....

Back